Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

3 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

So... is this bad for the neighborhood? Or just neutral? It seems generally good that a vacant collection of parcels is being turned into SOMETHING (they intend for this site to also have office and restaurant space), especially an area that's far away from both transit lines, but the self storage thing is so... strange. I swear the developer pitching it at this meeting was using the most glossary-level explanations ever: "Provides valuable service for residents and helps small businesses" and other dry phrasing, etc

Since it has retail and commercial space, I'll say good thing for the neighborhood, but I wish it was entirely retail and commercial instead of half storage units.

On 7/21/2014 at 1:16 AM, rjp212 said:

I wonder if this is still in play...

Seigle Point Center

http://kpnarch.com/node/78

Seigle%20Point%20Image%202.jpg

Seigle%20Point%20Teaser%20Image_0.jpg

Seigle%20Point%20Image%201.jpg

Seigle Ave Presbyterian Church is under contract for an un-named developer.   One corner we have the storage/office/retail development, then the Church corner, so I'm wondering what will happen to the other corner.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article59157143.html

Edited by rjp212

24 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

Seigle Ave Presbyterian Church is under contract for an un-named developer.   One corner we have the storage/office/retail development, then the Church corner, so I'm wondering what will happen to the other corner.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article59157143.html

Very interesting. So eventually that Seigle/10th intersection will be entirely re-built. This will definitely help make that corner of Belmont be more dynamic, rather than just being Seigle Point. And this will help it have great connectivity, given the tentative plans to snake the Little Sugar Creek greenway connection from 7th St to 12th St:

image.png

Edited by SgtCampsalot

Interesting about the church being under contract. 

That huge plot of land on the other corner would be perfect for a mixed use development that included a grocery store. The PM Harris Teeter is overcrowded and something at 10th and Seigle could certainlt help. It would draw from PM, Elizabeth, First Ward, and Belmont. I'm not sure HT would want to put another location there though and if Publix is planning to potentially put a store at Skyhouse, I doubt they'd want a store there either.

18 minutes ago, southslider said:

Since the storage site is wasting their skyline views, either corner east of Seigle can take advantage.

Yeah, actually I'd prefer a skyline view from a public corner patio at the future development on that vacant parking lot rather than that storage development having views for their residents.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

The idea of storage units with ground floor retail is actually pretty good. Its 1000x better than storage units as a single use. I would generally support that concept in most locations as long as they are 1) architecturally attractive, 2) not tearing down something historic, and 3) not a location where a more significant project could go.

In this case, IMO, it hits all three points:

1. Their building is not architecturally attractive (though they did make an effort). Why do all storage units have to have that same beige/stucco look with tiny windows?
  2. There is an old retail building/gas station there from when Seigle Ave used to connect to 7th St, and it was an important connection into uptown due to Parkwood not being a thoroughfare at that point in time (prior to the 1960s).
  3. The site has a killer view of uptown. This is probably the one instance where I'd rather see another crappy apartment project.

On 2/9/2016 at 9:26 AM, SgtCampsalot said:

Very interesting. So eventually that Seigle/10th intersection will be entirely re-built. This will definitely help make that corner of Belmont be more dynamic, rather than just being Seigle Point. And this will help it have great connectivity, given the tentative plans to snake the Little Sugar Creek greenway connection from 7th St to 12th St:

image.png

Not only will the greenway go through there, having storage units kills the opportunity for "eyes on the street" (or trail in this instance). Having residential units with patios that open up to the trail and have skyline views that close to uptown would probably command some crazy high rent.

I think this whole thing stinks of lack of imagination.

35 minutes ago, Spartan said:

The idea of storage units with ground floor retail is actually pretty good. Its 1000x better than storage units as a single use. I would generally support that concept in most locations as long as they are 1) architecturally attractive, 2) not tearing down something historic, and 3) not a location where a more significant project could go.

In this case, IMO, it hits all three points:

1. Their building is not architecturally attractive (though they did make an effort). Why do all storage units have to have that same beige/stucco look with tiny windows?
  2. There is an old retail building/gas station there from when Seigle Ave used to connect to 7th St, and it was an important connection into uptown due to Parkwood not being a thoroughfare at that point in time (prior to the 1960s).
  3. The site has a killer view of uptown. This is probably the one instance where I'd rather see another crappy apartment project.

Not only will the greenway go through there, having storage units kills the opportunity for "eyes on the street" (or trail in this instance). Having residential units with patios that open up to the trail and have skyline views that close to uptown would probably command some crazy high rent.

I think this whole thing stinks of lack of imagination.

The storage units will have retail and commercial space...

Plus, the trail doesn't even go by there. It terminates at 10th street. From there, you have to ride on 10th street then down Central to 7th Street.

I agree that what is planned for this location isn't ideal, but we wouldn't have residential patios opening up to the trail at this site anyway unless you consider the bike lane on 10th street to be a trail.

The restaurant under construction on Seigle is making good progress. I looked through the windows earlier and I like the layout. Still such a weird location for a restaurant right now, but the guy will look like a genius if that big lot beside it gets developed into something in the near future.

I wish we knew more about it though. There have been no details about it so far.

8 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

It's next to a ton of apartments, I'm not sure why that's a weird location for a restaurant. Owner seems to know exactly what he is doing. 

Low income apartments for families that make less than 30k/yr. 

The newer ones at the corner are capped at 38k.

It's going to be a Mediterranean themed restaurant, so I doubt a very low income predominately African American community is going to make up much of his clientele.

Another block sized project. Have the powers at city hall realized that the zoning laws make smaller projects impossible to build so the playing field is tilted towards the out of state multi million moneybags?

On a separate note, people keep complaining about rent. From what I understand, the new units aren't that luxurious in the area. They are pretty close to market rate. It's lack of supply.

44 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Refresh my memory. What and where is this restaurant?

832 Seigle Ave.

Owner is Mason Kazel. He purchased the building back in 2013 and filed a rezoning petition with the city last year so it could be approved for a restaurant. He said it would likely serve Mediterranean cuisine during the rezoning meeting.

Original renderings looked really cool, but it looks like they've decided to utilize the existing structure as it is rather than add a second level and a rooftop deck.

Edited by Niner National

On 2/21/2016 at 9:55 AM, southslider said:

The new restaurant is on Seigle about midway between 10th and Otts.  Given that Intrrmezzo opened well before the apartment boom and in spite of being next to the Salvation Army, the new restaurant around the corner from there should do good business.

Intermezzo at least has good street visibility on a major corridor in Charlotte. Very few people drive down Seigle in comparison and many that do are poor residents of the community.

I hope I'm wrong. I want it to do well. I own a townhome in Seigle Point, so clearly I want a successful business right across the street from where I live, I'm just very skeptical about it being a success. Location is everything and this area still looks pretty bad with an overgrown razor wire fence next door and a smelly garbage truck storage lot a block away.

Edited by Niner National

24 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Does anyone know whether the city sold the old J.K. Farrar corner store in Belmont (at Harrill St & Belmont Ave)?

A realtor friend of mine said she heard it had been sold, but that Polaris was slow to update it:

Link to Polaris ID: 08112410

Anyone know, and if so, have some kind of contact?

The city is going to prepare an RFP for the site within the next year. It was discussed in the last staff meeting, so you can find more detail in the meeting minutes online. I quickly glanced at them, so I don't remember all the specifics. 

On February 12, 2016 at 11:10 AM, Niner National said:

The storage units will have retail and commercial space...

Plus, the trail doesn't even go by there. It terminates at 10th street. From there, you have to ride on 10th street then down Central to 7th Street.

I agree that what is planned for this location isn't ideal, but we wouldn't have residential patios opening up to the trail at this site anyway unless you consider the bike lane on 10th street to be a trail.

The trail ends at 10th today but the future Cross Charlotte Trail will run behind the site. It's disappointing because this site would be better served by residential, even if it didn't have retail. It's somewhat ironic because normally I would be a staunch advocate for retail, and I'm not at all opposed to mini storage if it's well designed. It's just that this location would probably command fairly high rents due to the unobstructed views of the skyline. 

It would be nice if there was, I'd also be happy if we just got a really well done townhome community. No more apartments in that area please. I would love to have more people with a vested financial interest there since there are already about 400 income restricted apartments in the Seigle Point / Vista @ 707 development.