Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

28 minutes ago, JBS said:

^^

Promotional materials aside, this is a fantastic project.

I wish they would publish some overall site plans with the adjacent streets shown.  I am having a hard time visualizing how one might enter the site and how the site interacts with the street/neighborhood etc.

Assuming the north arrow is correct, I'm finally understanding the orientation of the renovations. I thought all the stuff was along 16th, but its at the opposite end. The rail is on the left side of the plans and a spur of Brevard on the right. 16th is somewhere beyond the top of the plans. It also appears they are going to demolish quite a bit of the existing building, probably parts that are more recent additions. #gettingit

On 1/7/2017 at 0:31 PM, tozmervo said:

Assuming the north arrow is correct, I'm finally understanding the orientation of the renovations. I thought all the stuff was along 16th, but its at the opposite end. The rail is on the left side of the plans and a spur of Brevard on the right. 16th is somewhere beyond the top of the plans. It also appears they are going to demolish quite a bit of the existing building, probably parts that are more recent additions. #gettingit

and the little square inside the square near the north arrow is the smokestack...

map

Edited by archiham04
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, archiham04 said:

and the little square inside the square near the north arrow is the smokestack...

map

It took a week of emailing but here you go, a site plan of Tompkins Hall and its unnecessary amount of parking.

tompkins-hall0proximity-to-Lynx-and-Cross-Charlotte-Trail-courtesy.jpg

Edited by Guest

Awesome!... yeah I bet they will fill the lot though.  Vehicular access from Brevard, and light rail peds will access from the back after trasping down a sidewalk on a 45 mph road adjacent to a sea of parking.  Fine experience for car tourists, not so much for natives/users.... on day one at least.  here's to hoping for the not-so-future build-out of that surface lot.  No mention of the hunter wrecker lot across Parkwood that they sponsored the rezoning of, and has since been cleared...  perhaps contingency overflow parking.

50 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

It took a week of emailing but here you go, a site plan of Tompkins Hall and its unnecessary amount of parking.

tompkins-hall0proximity-to-Lynx-and-Cross-Charlotte-Trail-courtesy.jpg

Have the apartments been announced?  I don't remember seeing anything about planned apartments on that site adjacent to Tompkins Hall.

1 minute ago, AP3 said:

Have the apartments been announced?  I don't remember seeing anything about planned apartments on that site adjacent to Tompkins Hall.

I wrote about them here. There hasn't been a formal announcement by Trammell though. 250 units, no retail, yawn. Take a look at Alexan at Krog which was developed by Trammell to complement a similar project to Tompkins.

http://www.charlottefive.com/light-rail-reshape-optimist-park/

Edited by Guest

10 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Not to turn this into coffee shop design talk, but would you say the trend toward modernism now is because of the expensive cost of brick and masonry materials, etc?

You know... I don't know. I've done some research in the past and it suggests that the pricing is pretty similar to one another.

From what I understand EIFS and Stucco aren't necessarily cheaper than masonry. There are extra steps that have to be taken to keep stucco/eifs from allowing in too much moisture, which does not occur with masonry, and that adds costs. Both products have their advantages. 

I think it might come down to how easy is it to find someone to lay brick?

Maybe an expert can weigh in?

I also think we might be stuck in modernism, because people lack imagination these days.

Edited by Guest

^^that is a good question.... I work in SouthEnd and our office has a deck near East.  We often wonder if our overflowing deck is being used as a park n ride, but I rarely see folks hopping from the deck to the station.   I think once you get close to uptown the time expense of the transfer makes it too inconvenient.

1 hour ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Woo, gonna be a sweet storage unit for sure! Great land use for those kind of city views. 

I'm honestly kind if grateful. It means the view from the other three street corners will be unobstructed. Can you imagine if that amazing view was wiped-out for the general public by one building?

Edited by SgtCampsalot

• 2 weeks later...

Presentation was made at the Plaza Midwood Neighborhood Association Quarterly Meeting last night discussing the proposed Road Diet for Parkwood - The Plaza between Belmont Ave and Mattheson Ave.  Lots of good discussion, and it seems like CDOT is inclined to move forward with pursuing the improvements on Parkwood between Belmont Ave and where it merges with The Plaza.  The study concluded that a Road Diet on The Plaza between Parkwood and Mattheson would not be able to accommodate current traffic levels, but there was discussion about things that were able to make that stretch more accessible for pedestrians.

Here is the presentation that was discussed.  I don't think I am sharing anything inappropriately, as I took this off of the Charmeck.org website.

http://charlottenc.gov/CityCouncil/focus-areas/TransportationFocusArea/1.9.2017 TAP Committee Meeting Presentations.pdf#search=parkwood road diet

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, swh1972 said:

Presentation was made at the Plaza Midwood Neighborhood Association Quarterly Meeting last night discussing the proposed Road Diet for Parkwood - The Plaza between Belmont Ave and Mattheson Ave.  Lots of good discussion, and it seems like CDOT is inclined to move forward with pursuing the improvements on Parkwood between Belmont Ave and where it merges with The Plaza.  The study concluded that a Road Diet on The Plaza between Parkwood and Mattheson would not be able to accommodate current traffic levels, but there was discussion about things that were able to make that stretch more accessible for pedestrians.

Here is the presentation that was discussed.  I don't think I am sharing anything inappropriately, as I took this off of the Charmeck.org website.

http://charlottenc.gov/CityCouncil/focus-areas/TransportationFocusArea/1.9.2017 TAP Committee Meeting Presentations.pdf#search=parkwood road diet

^Yup, it's good stuff (and thanks, I didn't know it was posted online!).

However the neighborhoods (as far as I know, PM as well) are currently corresponding w CDOT and Kinsey to communicate that it is unacceptable that they will not consider any change past Parkwood into The Plaza, or consider any kind of protected bike facility. They only will consider bike lane strips for Parkwood Ave (unless they did that alleyway cycle track, which is dumb). Essentially, the time is either now or two decades from now, so we will see how it goes. 

Look at page 16 (below): The change meets EVERY other neighborhood priority except potential traffic capacity. So they don't recommend any additional changes.

CDOT's meeting w Council to officially have them vote on it is Monday 02/13 at 2pm. Emailing the council members on the TAP (Kinsey, Lyles, Phipps, Smith) as well as CDOT (Danny Pleasant) will be needed in the next week or two in order to pin down the neighborhoods' intentions of demanding more than a half-job.

Parkwood Pg 16.jpg

Edited by SgtCampsalot