Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

Glorious day!

It will slow down traffic a bit, provide padding for the sidewalk, and bike infrastructure all the way to downtown. It's incremental improvement.

Edited by mazman34340

4 hours ago, Desert Power said:

Isn't 20%+ traffic pretty much a given on a 10 year time frame?  I would expect we see a lot of development along The Plaza/Shamrock areas in a few years.  Those areas are not well connected to rail...

Agreed. Road diet with no expectation the area's traffic volume will grow is short sighted. I wish they would consider a three lane scenario like 7th St where two lanes flow in the direction of rush hour and the rest of the day there is a turn lane in the middle. They have 60 feet to work with, so 3 nine foot car lanes, flanked by an 8 foot bike lane on either side and an 8 foot sidewalk on both sides = 59 feet. We lose a median, but we gain a road that can handle some traffic volume growth and still move cars during peek rush hour.  Better yet, they could consolidate the bike lane and one side's sidewalk to a multi-use path to save space and get a planting strip to separate bikes/pends from the road. 

2 hours ago, GeauxCLT said:

Agreed. Road diet with no expectation the area's traffic volume will grow is short sighted.

Assuming that traffic growth will always be proportion to neighborhood / city growth is a self-defeating and unsustainable perspective. Allowing neighborhoods to grow when  cars are the only means of accessing them is a recipie for future rust-belt status.

I didn't suggest making a four lane road six lanes. I'm just trying not to ignore traffic that is already there. All the people that already live farther from city center and use that road to commute aren't going to start taking the subway network to work when there isn't a subway network. The blue line extension is a great start, but we all know it is a straight line at this point.

Choosing to ignore contemporary Charlotte's dependence on cars and dieting a road that ALREADY exceeds the 20,000 car a day threshold seems to solve a pedestrian problem by creating a car problem. I'm just trying to suggest an idea that might work for both. 

• Like 1

If there's a decent road network, traffic will disperse to other roads. This happened repeatedly when major cities replaced highways.

In the long run, it's better to think about positive changes to the nearby neighborhoods because of this project. This project will replace a forsaken sewer for traffic into a platform of wealth for the community.

Edited by mazman34340

3 hours ago, mazman34340 said:

If there's a decent road network, traffic will disperse to other roads. This happened repeatedly when major cities replaced highways.

In the long run, it's better to think about positive changes to the nearby neighborhoods because of this project. This project will replace a forsaken sewer for traffic into a platform of wealth for the community.

That part of town is extremely far from having a decent road network

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2017 at 2:59 PM, GeauxCLT said:

Agreed. Road diet with no expectation the area's traffic volume will grow is short sighted. I wish they would consider a three lane scenario like 7th St where two lanes flow in the direction of rush hour and the rest of the day there is a turn lane in the middle. They have 60 feet to work with, so 3 nine foot car lanes, flanked by an 8 foot bike lane on either side and an 8 foot sidewalk on both sides = 59 feet. We lose a median, but we gain a road that can handle some traffic volume growth and still move cars during peek rush hour.  Better yet, they could consolidate the bike lane and one side's sidewalk to a multi-use path to save space and get a planting strip to separate bikes/pends from the road. 

It is going to have to be something like that.  Traffic during rush hours is getting very bad around the North Davidson/Parkwood intersection.  With one lane each way it will be a nightmare for anyone attempting to drive to NoDa/up the Plaza

I don't think that the 3 lane option is really that viable. It is a patch for 7th because the road width is so skinny.  I don't think they will ever employ it (in Charlotte) where they have other options.  The issue of late night pedestrian collisions on 7th (....RIP Chilly) will probably be the most difficult to get past.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Probably the first time I've been excited to read Charlotte Stories. I hope it's true.
Oso Skate Park is moving to the Kellogg Factory in Belmont, on Louise Ave, from their original location off N Tryon St.
This is so awesome. This may be way better than Actors Theatres' failed relocation.
$1/day, or $300/year
oso-skate-park-charlotte-features.jpg.f12ca637da7e14f1f6f38ece0a90069a.jpg
oso-skate-park-belmont.jpg.5be9b8739c5f88f4a9af501c014654b9.jpg

Being opened by a close friend. Excited to visit and see what's going on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is sort of Belmont Plaza Midwood area. The old Hawthorne Mill between Hawthorne and Louise Ave is finally under way. Apartments in historic mills setting. http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/02/apartments-coming-to-charlotte-neighborhood.html   See Charlotte does not tear down everything here's proof. 

CAM07577.jpg

CAM07578.jpg

CAM07581.jpg

CAM07583.jpg

Here are some new townhomes going up in Belmont don't remember what street I was on maybe maybe N Myers near Belmont Ave not sure. The skyline views are great in this rapidly changing neighborhood. 

CAM07584.jpg

CAM07585.jpg

• Like 3

The townhomes are on N Myers St, in between 15th St and Belmont Ave. If I may be so bold, they are a bit of a travesty... what are you smoking having a garage door facing the greenway like that? As nice as it is to have some for-sale properties in the area.

You can also watch them celebrate clearing trees on their facebook page.

peridoe.jpg

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Wait... 425k for 1,100 sq feet in Belmont? Surely these people are stoned??

Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 3.38.44 PM.png

Yknow what that is? He's inception-ing everybody. By saying this he's expecting others to believe that area yields that $ per sq footage and it will become a fact when he sells.

No way, though. Too far from the BLE, not close enough to the PM (lower) portion of The Plaza.

Where did you see this?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Yknow what that is? He's inception-ing everybody. By saying this he's expecting others to believe that area yields that $ per sq footage and it will become a fact when he sells.

No way, though. Too far from the BLE, not close enough to the PM (lower) portion of The Plaza.

Where did you see this?

An article in the CBJ about flipping houses.
 http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/02/27/charlotte-home-flipping-challenges-best-zip-codes.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=scroll&ed=2017-02-27&u=%2BmRfS1h%2F%2B5GYAZG1Yo6h5Q0025f8b9&t=1488227811&j=77505121#g2

On 2/26/2017 at 9:45 AM, SgtCampsalot said:

Probably the first time I've been excited to read Charlotte Stories. I hope it's true.

Oso Skate Park is moving to the Kellogg Factory in Belmont, on Louise Ave, from their original location off N Tryon St.

This is so awesome. This may be way better than Actors Theatres' failed relocation.

$1/day, or $300/year

oso-skate-park-charlotte-features.jpg

oso-skate-park-belmont.jpg

This will be in the same building as Catawba Brewing's new Charlotte location.

On 2/27/2017 at 5:39 PM, kermit said:

Its about $100 more per square foot than Dilworth.

the article is written wrong,  he bought it for 125k and is adding an addition to the back of the existing house. I believe the house will be around 1800-1900sqft and then be listed for 425k. It will sell under 400k in late spring

A friends new construction a few blocks away sold in the past week for 410k 2225sqft with 4/2.5

I dont care how big of a house you build me im not paying 400k in Belmont!

• Like 1

the article is written wrong,  he bought it for 125k and is adding an addition to the back of the existing house. I believe the house will be around 1800-1900sqft and then be listed for 425k. It will sell under 400k in late spring
A friends new construction a few blocks away sold in the past week for 410k 2225sqft with 4/2.5

I dont care how big of a house you build me im not paying 400k in Belmont!

Thank you so much, the world makes a little more sense now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk