Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

21 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Just a heads up....this is not what it will look like

well then they might want to take it out of all of their collateral that they are showing to people, and swap out the picture in their waiting room ;-) (jk on the last one)

3 hours ago, rjp212 said:

The older buildings at the corner of Belmont and Pegram seem to be getting a possible makeover into restaurant space.

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2017/045-060/2017-048 site plan.pdf

Nice.
Also, I didn't know that those two apartment buildings two parcels down were owned by a Land Trust. Interesting.

• Like 1

Thats a great old building and when I drove a couple weeks back I thought that would be a good restaurant or bar.  This is one of the few remaining corner store buildings left in Charlotte most have been knocked down over time. It would be neat to have a couple of apartments above it if that is feasible. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, fortibus said:

21st or 24th? Are you referring to this project?

http://charlottenc.gov/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2017Petitions/Pages/2017-031.aspx

Also just curious, where did you get this image?

It's 24th street. You can see McCreesh Place in the background. It's some bizarre oddity that the street postal numbers don't align with the street numbers. (2100 on 24th St)

It's 24th street. You can see McCreesh Place in the background. It's some bizarre oddity that the street postal numbers don't align with the street numbers. (2100 on 24th St)

I was reading the address as though it were a manhattan address apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

The Belmont neighborhood will be home to Charlotte Lab School's new middle school (Grades 6-8) starting in the fall @ 600 Seigle Ave (former church).  Charlotte Lab is a current second year charter school that my daughter currently attends in first ward uptown (Grades K-5). The school has been adding one grade per year with plans to cap out at 8th grade. The uptown elementary school has been a fantastic reuse of that building (across the street from UNCC and along the 9th street Lynx station). 

The middle school building is 14,100 square feet (about half the size of our current building), and next year will house our 100 6th graders. We are excited to be growing the size of our grade levels in middle school to provide students with a more robust experience--more classmates to get to know and more extracurriculars available. Here are a few features that we are really excited about:

• An outdoor learning commons, where students can work, eat lunch, and relax;
  • Plenty of space for school gardens, which will support students' learning in Quest classes;
  • A full kitchen, in which we hope to offer culinary classes;
  • A large lawn area in the back, where advisories will be able to enjoy a picnic lunch under a beautiful old tree; 
  • More traditional classrooms with "cinder-block" walls, which will offer a much quieter learning environment; and
  • A large multipurpose room that will enable us to still use our space creatively and flexibly.

•  
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, caterpillar2 said:

What does the "Lab" in Charlotte Lab School mean? 

Lab as in laboratory (a place to conduct experiments, test, investigate, etc). 

6 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Hones question: what does a charter school do for the neighborhood it's in when it not only does not majority serve the neighborhood it's in, but also doesn't do anything to help public schools, beyond letting some parents opt out of them?

It's taking an unused building and re-purposing it (like in first ward).  If you are baiting into a charter school debate, you are out of luck. 

30 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

It's taking an unused building and re-purposing it (like in first ward).  If you are baiting into a charter school debate, you are out of luck. 

Fair point. It's just I'm fixing to have kids in Belmont, and I want to improve the public schools. Anyway I'm glad this old congregation made a killing on their real estate.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Fair point. It's just I'm fixing to have kids in Belmont, and I want to improve the public schools. Anyway I'm glad this old congregation made a killing on their real estate.

One last note:  A charter school is a public school and anyone can go there for free (lottery entry). 

1 hour ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Hones question: what does a charter school do for the neighborhood it's in when it not only does not majority serve the neighborhood it's in, but also doesn't do anything to help public schools, beyond letting some parents opt out of them?

I have more nuanced opinions on this as well but I will save them for another thread...  your question is what does this school DO for the neighborhood... one thing that it will do for the neighborhood, is bring a broader cross section of the Charlotte community into your neighborhood than would have been there before.  Belmont is, in my opinion, a bit isolated.  Most people have no reason to travel through the heart, and so many long time Charlotte resident have probably never been there.  Increased visits means increased eyes.   They might be investors, they might patronize your stores, they might move to your neighborhood.

• Like 3