Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

8 minutes ago, kermit said:

^ Brevard really was an industrial wasteland-looking place but I am gonna miss it.

Truth. But it's still a long, straight street, which are in short supply in Charlotte. There's a certain majesty to a street like that- at least to my curved-road suburban eyes when I first discovered it.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

It's possible they're just replacing the sign, I suppose, but the construction sign for Thompson Mill was gone this morning

it's being replaced. a car brand new 2017 yellow convertible Camaro ran into it. 

Edited by Crown
  • Like 1

On 3/6/2017 at 6:56 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Never seen an actual rendering of the office part of Tompkins facing the light rail. very nice, looking. Well at lease from what I can tell from this crappy rendering.

Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 6.52.32 PM.png

I realize I'm way late here... but this is highly disappointing. I would describe it more as the "international" style, but it's very similar to mid century modern. Either way, they both sucked when they built it the first time, that's why everyone is tearing every last remnant of it down these days. While you're likely to see me argue for saving mid-century buildings because I believe in historic preservation, I think building new buildings should never feel the need to use that style again unless it's in a deliberate attempt to rebuild or add on to an existing building. New buildings in that style should be viewed as an atrocity. 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2017 at 1:15 PM, Spartan said:

I realize I'm way late here... but this is highly disappointing. I would describe it more as the "international" style, but it's very similar to mid century modern. Either way, they both sucked when they built it the first time, that's why everyone is tearing every last remnant of it down these days. While you're likely to see me argue for saving mid-century buildings because I believe in historic preservation, I think building new buildings should never feel the need to use that style again unless it's in a deliberate attempt to rebuild or add on to an existing building. New buildings in that style should be viewed as an atrocity. 

I don't totally agree... but that is matter of taste I suppose.  What I am afraid of however is that the rendering above will digress into a vile atrocity of a final product....  coughSedgefieldHarrrisTeetercough cough.....

44 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Excellent! Says opening next month. I think this will actually do very well. Still disappointed that the spot across the corner is going to be Storage Unit place -_-

With thousands of square feet of retail. It could be worse. The look of the building in renderings actually looked better than most of the apartments we've been getting.

• Like 1

Not sure if this is Optimist Park  or Belmont as I guess Parkwood might be the boundary. But here is the construction site of the new apartments across N Brevard from the Parkwood station and the new apartments across Parkwood from the Thompkins Mill. This area is being transform before our very eyes. 

DSCN2297.JPG

DSCN2302.JPG

DSCN2305.JPG

DSCN2306.JPG

• Like 3

Not sure on the height of these apartments along Parkwood the bigger complex at Brevard and Parkwood is 4-5 stories. The new light is up not yet working at Brevard and Parkwood but they will need one at 16th St once Thompkins Mill opens. 

• Like 1

How many stories of sticks are they stacking there?  Isn't Parkwood and 16th expected to have a light at some point?

I think these are only 3 floors, 48ish units

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I think these are only 3 floors, 48ish units

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's correct. 2 buildings with 24 units each and a few private garages tucked in the back of the first floor. 

Edited by VTinCV
  • Like 1

Has anyone heard any rumblings of Hunter Wrecking Service moving?  That land (while I'm sure is an environmental nightmare with lots of cleanup) would be a primo spot for redevelopment.  It's such an eyesore right now that I feel it's single-handily weighing down potential in the immediate area.

17 minutes ago, m1823892 said:

Has anyone heard any rumblings of Hunter Wrecking Service moving?  That land (while I'm sure is an environmental nightmare with lots of cleanup) would be a primo spot for redevelopment.  It's such an eyesore right now that I feel it's single-handily weighing down potential in the immediate area.

I heard about Townhouses for a piece of their site. There is a creek that is greenway ready running right through it. I was trying to get a friend from Pulte to buy it for a full year, and they wouldn't touch it because of ground contamination.

I think one thing that is mis-understood about the towing business is how valuable locations are to these services.   It's a pure logistics industry where proximity to the highest density of parking disputes (ie. areas with parking issues) really drives profits.  I believe it's also necessary to be in certain locations to serve districts within the city as far as crash responders.

I don't know exact numbers, but I suspect that land is worth more to Hunter than it would be to anyone not buildings a highrise.

Plus, yeah, soil contamination...

• Like 1

On 6/14/2017 at 0:13 PM, atlrvr said:

I think one thing that is mis-understood about the towing business is how valuable locations are to these services.   It's a pure logistics industry where proximity to the highest density of parking disputes (ie. areas with parking issues) really drives profits.  I believe it's also necessary to be in certain locations to serve districts within the city as far as crash responders.

I don't know exact numbers, but I suspect that land is worth more to Hunter than it would be to anyone not buildings a highrise.

Plus, yeah, soil contamination...

I'm no expert on the business but as you can see in the attached picture, the Hunter wrecker zone extends all the way up to Huntersville. It seems to me they could sell their Optimist Park property for millions and then buy up some cheap land farther north without it causing a big problem.

Eventually I believe a combination of rising property value on that site, traffic from nearby development, and neighbor complaints (e.g. stop blocking the sidewalk with tow trucks) will provide a good enough argument for Hunter to sell the property. Just a guess though.

Screen Shot 2017-06-15 at 2.07.34 PM.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mazman34340 said:

Any contact information for the Optimist Park neighborhood?

I know they are not well organized but there's gotta be a number.

The neighborhood association doesn't have a full board at the moment but there are several motivated people trying to get it better organized.

I would try their Facebook group for any questions: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1151454061564821/