Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

2 hours ago, fortibus said:

The neighborhood association doesn't have a full board at the moment but there are several motivated people trying to get it better organized.

I would try their Facebook group for any questions: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1151454061564821/

I actually worked on a rebranding campaign for the neighborhood with them, they are fairly well organized. Great people. Unfortunately I think developers scuttled the branding campaign with this mill district nonsense.

personally I think you should contact them via twitter if possible.

https://twitter.com/OptimistParkCLT

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, IrishCLT said:

Looks like another demo fence went up around 226 Parkwood -- I had high hopes that this little brick building would survive as something cool...

SNAG-0071.jpg

OH MAN! THATS A COOL BUILDING! I've never noticed it, how sad.

^UGH... I'd always hoped it would stay. Pathetically sad.

In other slightly nice news, the company (CapRock) rezoning for the modern townhouse that are proposed at Van Every, Harrill, Seigle in Belmont (same going up on 15th St/Myers St) amended their architectural designs per resident discontent to be more traditional looking, and I'm kind of in love (as far as newer townhouse go).

Also, I didn't catch a pic of it, but they added two public benches and a three-headed water fountain in the front on Van Every. I'm loving it.

Also a blurry site plan as reminder (Seigle on left, Harrill on right):

20170716_181811.jpg

20170716_183953.jpg

20170718_132441.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/08/01/florida-firm-eyeing-two-charlotte-sites-for.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=scroll&ed=2017-08-01&u=pUqBy4WdImoxzXK5v8%2FmPg04f7d4f8&t=1501615900&j=78633331

Looks like noda storage is being replaced with apartments. That whole area around Amelie's will change quite a bit, with the construction that's happening next to Free Range, Chadbourn mills, and Matheson Ave bridge/bicycle lanes.

I'm still crossing my fingers that somebody is smart enough to put a grocery store on that stretch of N Davidson/Brevard. Even if it's a smaller-sized one. It would be perfect for that growing neighborhood and surrounded by apartments/light rail.

Edited by fortibus

N. Davidson St needs a bare bones produce and packaged meats spot. More of an Earl's Grocery, except actually taking produce seriously. It doesn't need to be a big place to be what the neighborhood needs.

Besides, this area should never have any large chain grocer.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, fortibus said:

I'm still crossing my fingers that somebody is smart enough to put a grocery store on that stretch of N Davidson/Brevard. Even if it's a smaller-sized one. It would be perfect for that growing neighborhood and surrounded by apartments/light rail.

Need a grocer somewhere walkable in the NoDa area.  Surprised nobody has put one on the Chadbourn parcels.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

Charlotte Agenda just tweeted out this about the Thompkins Mill which is great news!

Tompkins Hall -- the food hall planned for an old textile mill in Optimist Park -- just got a huge boost. Duke Energy will be its first anchor tenant, leasing 83,000 square feet of office space, a company spokesman tells the Agenda. Duke plans to move in during the second quarter next year and create a collaborative office space for building new consumer products. Tompkins Hall is on its way to being our version of NYC’s Chelsea Market or Atlanta’s Krog Street Market and this is a big leg up. [Developers: White Point Partners and Paces Properties]

You beat me in posting my own scoop hahaha

• Like 2

Here is more details on Duke's lease at Thompkins Mill and it is a big validation of the new creative office market developing in Charlotte including at Camp North End

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/08/03/duke-energy-signs-lease-at-tompkins-hall-in.html

and the Charlotte Observer story

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article165228052.html

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Crown said:

Kind of surprised at the way this information was released.  Regardless, this is a huge validator for that area in terms of office/creative office. Look for more activity to pick up for adjacent mill projects now that this one has it's anchor. 

What do you mean about the way it was released?

• 2 weeks later...

Iv'e been keeping a close eye on rents in the Belmont area / Villa Heights area.There's gentrification and then there's hyper-gentrification. Most of the rentals that rented for .80$ a square foot.or less are gone or are already rented out. Fixed up homes and rentals are renting for about 1.30 - 1.40$ sq. ft. I don't see how long these price increases can be sustained. I came in over a year ago thinking the land was already overpriced, trying to get a lot at about 80,000$. That ship sailed.

New construction for small scale-rentals became possible over six months ago and still is (four-plexes, triplexes, and soon small apartment buildings.) Of course, it's all zoned for single-family, and developers have to do an elaborate jig to get approval from the planning department and community. Small scale developers usually don't have the energy and resources to pull that off. So, large scale developers might come in and sand-blast the community with investment.

At this rate, in about three to four years, building housing for the middle class will be very difficult. There's already labor shortages for construction, and material prices have increased. Note it's not necessarily home prices but the raw cost of land. Homes are devalued and are being demo'ed. Somewhat disused homes can be sold for about the same price as lots... what few are available now.