Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

30 minutes ago, Hunted said:

Is it just me, or is literally every telephone pole on the right side angled inwardly? Power lines really bring the overall aesthetics of an area down.

Nope and don't blame it on the photographer LOL they are all crooked. Reminds me of coastal areas 

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

^Thanks!

Wow that is a massive development. At least it seems like residents' front doors will face the street on the public street-facing units (except... 10th St? Those elevations don't denote 10th St... I'll guess it's similar to Seigle? I know grade increases a lot up 10th St)

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

20180419_080152.jpg

I thought I remembered seeing reverse angle parking on 10th Street in a Site Plan for this development.  Anyone know if that is still happening?  Does not look like the curb line shown in these photos is in the right place for that.

I'm also curious to see how engaged/active the rear side of this development will be with the future Cross Charlotte Trail.  There's huge opportunity for ground level trail oriented development here - the trail will be bordered on one side by great views of the skyline over 277, and by this development on the other side.

3 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Let's all take a moment to appreciate that this storage facility has a better street presence and use of site slope than 1100 South Blvd. 

I know right!! Was just thinking the same thing!!  I'm actually very pleased with this.  

23 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

^Thanks!

Wow that is a massive development. At least it seems like residents' front doors will face the street on the public street-facing units (except... 10th St? Those elevations don't denote 10th St... I'll guess it's similar to Seigle? I know grade increases a lot up 10th St)

I think having national home builders hit a stride and crank out a high quality urban form is great for Charlotte.  I am a little worried about the site plans for these however, and don' t think the end result will be as high a quality as it could be.  I wish these developments created an interior  street hierarchy with distinguishable "fronts" and "backs" with fronts facing streets and backs facing lower tiered smaller streets (perhaps even alleyways).  This development has units with fronts facing Seigle, but then the next row appears to have the garage fronts facing forward and the entry fronts? facing a sidewalk alley?!?!?!?

In New Jersey they have a name for this garage facing urban form... and named it the "Bayonne Box"

https://jerseydigs.com/bayonne-box-cant-phased-out/

https://www.planetizen.com/news/2018/04/98063-jersey-city-demolition-ban-all-about-bayonne-box

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/04/13/bayonne-box-development-preservation/

I don't really blame developers for this.  I think it is a City (Subdivision/CDOT/Fire) regulatory problem

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SgtCampsalot said:

^^ I don't like garage doors in the front. It defeats the purpose of having a quaint dwelling.

In Belmont news, one of those corner store at Belmont Ave and Harrill St (the one NOT recently sold by the City) is having its bricked-up windows re-opened for the new owner's planned restaurant.

20180419_153149.png

Is this Siggy's Good Food?

i dont see Siggy's being a good fit for this location. Belmont is obviously changing rapidly, but it still has a lot of low income individuals. $14 sandwiches aren't going to sell to those residents, and many others will view Belmont as a troubled neighborhood for a long time to come, making them unlikely customers.

I'm sure the prices will be adjusted, but I can't tell if there's anything else in the area to make one want to visit. She will definitely need to create some hype.

If I recall correctly, the neighborhood of her first restaurant wasn't much when she opened it. Also, I believe she got the help of her sister who lives here when selecting Belmont. I guess we'll see...