Eastern NC: Global Transpark

blueize74

http://www.wral.com/focalpoint/4403517/detail.html

When Boeing was considering moving their plant a few years ago, the Global Transpark was one prospective site. We did offer some incentives for their relocation, but I think we just might have snagged them if we just gave the land away for free. Turn an ongoing, multi-million dollar liability into a asset overnight. There were a few issues with the airport that could have easily been solved. Hopefully if an opportunity like that comes around again in the next millenium, we might consider this.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am curious about one thing? Why was Kinston the chosen spot for the Global Transpark? Why wasen't Goldsboro or Wilson chosen as canadiates? They offer more limited access highways, closer proximity to I-95 and [uS 64/US 264] freeways to the west linking to Raleigh via I-85.

I have driven through Kinston recently in March. Most of the area is very flat and susceptible to flooding with the Neuse River near by. I think the probability of another massive flooding incident like Floyd in 1999 could be a possibility that turns off industry relocating there in recent times of new talks of industry moving there.

I am curious about one thing? Why was Kinston the chosen spot for the Global Transpark? Why wasen't Goldsboro or Wilson chosen as canadiates? They offer more limited access highways, closer proximity to I-95 and [uS 64/US 264] freeways to the west linking to Raleigh via I-85.

I have driven through Kinston recently in March. Most of the area is very flat and susceptible to flooding with the Neuse River near by. I think the probability of another massive flooding incident like Floyd in 1999 could be a possibility that turns off industry relocating there in recent times of new talks of industry moving there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Jerseyman,

You are exactly right. No offense to anyone but Kinston is a dump. I am from New Bern NC which is 30 miles east of Kinston. New Bern is a really nice town but there is no interstate access. Wilson is a really nice town also, the difference as you noted is the fact that I 95, 301 and 264 run through Wilson. And Wilson is just 35 miles east of Raleigh. Goldsboro is like Kinston, so bad idea. I feel strongly that Wilson or Greenville would have been the best choices. Whats done is done though. (also I 95 does not run through Goldsboro) it runs west of there through Smithfield, then north through Wilson and Rocky Mount.

Another way of looking at it: Selecting a location for Global Transpark's location was mostly a creature of state government. Folks hoped that it would help re-charge economic development in Kinston and the surrounding area. It is a good concept; put manufacturing, product packaging, and, sorting facilities immediately adjacent to a high capacity aircraft runway... a neat manifestation of 'just in time' inventory. But,...

The free market also develops a JIT air distribution facitlity in NC. Think about how FedEx has commited to building a sorting and distribution facility in Greensboro right next to an aircraft runway. Do you really think Dell would have selected Winston-Salem as a location for their latest facility without the proximity to the FedEx hub?

I think (second hand info), it was the Wall Street Journal that called the Global Transpark Project, "Just in Time Strawwberries!"

GTP was created on an existing army facility/airfield, perhaps lending credence to Kinston's selection. And, as Sean posted, it was intended to jumpstart a depressed eastern NC economy-Kinston certainly fits the bill in that regard.

GTP trivia-did you know that the main runway at GTP is the longest on the east coast?

GTP trivia-did you know that the main runway at GTP is the longest on the east coast?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's the longest commercial runway in NC, but not the longest runway on the East Coast. New York (JFK), Washington (Dulles), Atlanta, Miami, and Orlando have longer runways (and possibly others). Seymour Johnson Air Force Base in Goldsboro keeps it from being the longest runway in NC.

http://avn.faa.gov/ap_diagrams.asp

I think this project failed mainly because of it remote location away from interstates and urban centers. The idea was to recharge the economy in eastern NC so it could compete with the urban centers in the piedmont. But unfortunately, building a project of the scale is like building a 2,000 room hotel and convention center in Kinston,NC. Its just not going to work. The project would have been extreemly successful if it were built in the Raleigh area or the Triad because of the nature of industry in those areas. Eastern NC has always been an agricultural region, not a logistics, distribution and manufacturing region. I dont know what the answer is for boosting the economy in eastern NC but I think one idea is to promote tourism since the coast is in easter NC. I think thats the best bet for that side of the state.

Archived