North Providence

Patsfan

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As you'll likely soon see, there are other people who post here who live in North Providence and are quite knowledgable and I too await their feedback, but I'll kick things off. In general, it is an older (demographically) and more suburban area than Providence proper, although there are one or two commercial areas. Housing does tend to be far more reasonably priced than Providence proper right now, and many insist that quality of life is very good there is better as well.

- Garris

Just for reference, north providence is different town and Elmhurst is not in north providence

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Billy. My geography skills leave much to be desired, but I was under the impression that the Elmhurst section of the west side of Providence borders North Providence? I might be wrong though.

As you'll likely soon see, there are other people who post here who live in North Providence and are quite knowledgable and I too await their feedback, but I'll kick things off.  In general, it is an older (demographically) and more suburban area than Providence proper, although there are one or two commercial areas.  Housing does tend to be far more reasonably priced than Providence proper right now, and many insist that quality of life is very good there is better as well. 

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, Garris. That's a lot more than I know. Two weeks ago I thought it was part of Providence, ha, ha.

My friend lives in NP. Its pretty nice, the eastern half that borders Pawtucket as well as the areas south of Mineral Spring Ave are older and much more urban, with small lot single family homes and some duplexes and multi-units. North of Mineral Spring and along Route 7 they're alot more subdivision and suburbanesque and more expensive. Centerdale is probably the closest thing to a center in the city, although its really nothin more than strip commercial development in disguise along route 44.

Just for reference, north providence is different town and Elmhurst is not in north providence

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't speak for NP, but I recently purchased a small single family house in Elmhurst. Elmhurst, by my understanding, is the region north of Chalkstone Ave, east of Mt. Pleasant, west of Oakland Ave, and south of Admiral St.

I love it here. I've lived in suburbs my whole life until this past November. Elmhurst is a nice transition for me. I wanted to be in the city, and technically I am, but this section of town is pretty quiet. Much of the homes are single family, owner occupied. There are several 2-family houses, and a fair share of rentals, but for the most part you'll see small homes built in the 1950's. We're less than 2 miles from downcity, and the bus comes right through here. Its no Blackstone Blvd, but it isn't a bad walk to downtown.

Much of the homes here are more affordable. The residents do seem to be a mix of older folks and PC students, but I think given its prime location and affordability it is a great place for first time buyers.

Its a very convenient place to live, too. I feel Im close to so many shopping centers and restaurants. I could go on, but you asked about North Providence, so I'll stop myself here.

:D

Just wondering what North Providence is like? My first impression was that it was very suburban, seeing a section near Elmhurst the other day. I've been surprised to see some very reasonable real estate prices, however.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jenkins here again. I would just keep in mind the commute you will be undertaking every single day, if you will be working in Boston. The farther you get south and west, the worse your commute will be. I had originally looked in Elmhurst to buy a home, and very much liked the area. But if you live there the closest train station is in Providence. Parking there is twice as much per day as parking for the South Attleboro T stop. That adds up every month. If you decided to drive to the South Attleboro T stop, just getting through the city and up 95 from from that far south would add at least 10 minutes of travel per day, each way. No small thing when you total commute will be over an hour...

As far as North Providence goes, just west of the area I mentioned to you before, off of Windmill, is North Providence. Anything between Windmill and Charles Street (as you go north) is considererd North Providence (Leo street is pretty much the dividing line between Providence and North Providence). That area is called Marieville section of North Providence. Very nice area and streets. But certainly a suburban feel. However, you are just a couple minutes outside of Providence proper, and still have very easy access to route 95 via exit 25 or 24. You will find that prices increase about 10 - 20% as you move from Providence to North Providence, at least in this area (mostly because North Providence has much better schools than Providence).

Also, keep in mind that if you live off of Mineral Springs that it is a very busy street, with lots of lights. So if you lived somewhere in western North Providence, off of Mineral Springs, that street will be slow going during rush hour. Good luck...

My friend lives in NP.  Its pretty nice, the eastern half that borders Pawtucket as well as the areas south of Mineral Spring Ave are older and much more urban, with small lot single family homes and some duplexes and multi-units.  North of Mineral Spring and along Route 7 they're alot more subdivision and suburbanesque and more expensive.  Centerdale is probably the closest thing to a center in the city, although its really nothin more than strip commercial development in disguise along route 44.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey thanks Recchia for the very helpful information.

Tom

Looking through realtor.com today (always lookin for a cheap place to live), I was amazed to find REALLY cheap condos in North Providence. A one bedroom for only 73k, and a two bedroom for 85k. Now who knows, they might be falling apart but they looked alright in the pics atleast. Seems like there's tons of condos for sale in the area, most for under 150k. Single family homes though started around 170k for a basic pitched roof box.

Looking through realtor.com today (always lookin for a cheap place to live), I was amazed to find REALLY cheap condos in North Providence.  A one bedroom for only 73k, and a two bedroom for 85k.  Now who knows, they might be falling apart but they looked alright in the pics atleast.  Seems like there's tons of condos for sale in the area, most for under 150k.  Single family homes though started around 170k for a basic pitched roof box.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't get over the price of real estate in NP! I'll probably look at town houses. I don't want to pay a ton of money for condo fees. I'm paying $266.00 per month in Massachusetts for condo fees and I think that's a little excessive.

Jenkins here again. I would just keep in mind the commute you will be undertaking every single day, if you will be working in Boston. The farther you get south and west, the worse your commute will be. I had originally looked in Elmhurst to buy a home, and very much liked the area. But if you live there the closest train station is in Providence. Parking there is twice as much per day as parking for the South Attleboro T stop. That adds up every month. If you decided to drive to the South Attleboro T stop, just getting through the city and up 95 from from that far south would add at least 10 minutes of travel per day, each way. No small thing when you total commute will be over an hour...

As far as North Providence goes, just west of the area I mentioned to you before, off of Windmill, is North Providence. Anything between Windmill and Charles Street (as you go north) is considererd North Providence (Leo street is pretty much the dividing line between Providence and North Providence). That area is called Marieville section of North Providence. Very nice area and streets. But certainly a suburban feel. However, you are just a couple minutes outside of Providence proper, and still have very easy access to route 95 via exit 25 or 24. You will find that prices increase about 10 - 20% as you move from Providence to North Providence, at least in this area (mostly because North Providence has much better schools than Providence).

Also, keep in mind that if you live off of Mineral Springs that it is a very busy street, with lots of lights. So if you lived somewhere in western North Providence, off of Mineral Springs, that street will be slow going during rush hour. Good luck...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks a lot, Jenkins. Helpful stuff. Since I haven't driven on those roads during rush hour, I appreciate the insight. I do want to be close to I-95 and the train. Are you aware of any sketchy areas in NP? Is crime an issue?

Thanks a lot, Jenkins. Helpful stuff. Since I haven't driven on those roads during rush hour, I appreciate the insight. I do want to be close to I-95 and the train. Are you aware of any sketchy areas in NP? Is crime an issue?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As far as I know NP is a safe area. The Marieville area is the only neighborhood I know well, however. And like I said, it is a nice area, well kept single family houses, etc. West of Charles Street in NP I am not too sure of, I drove through their once and it looked OK, but certainly between Charles and Windmill it is nice. Charles Street itself is an odd street. A mixed bag of small businesses, car dealerships, bakeries, restaurants and stores. Basically the closer you get to Providence the scruffier the street gets. The NP end is fine, though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

North Providence City Profile Crime statistics are towards the bottom of the page. I think the index for NP is 144, thats pretty low. Providence is around 600 i think.

Jenkins: As far as I know NP is a safe area. The Marieville area is the only neighborhood I know well, however. And like I said, it is a nice area, well kept single family houses, etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NP sounds very nice. Thanks.

North Providence City Profile  Crime statistics are towards the bottom of the page.  I think the index for NP is 144, thats pretty low.  Providence is around 600 i think.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for all your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering what North Providence is like? My first impression was that it was very suburban, seeing a section near Elmhurst the other day. I've been surprised to see some very reasonable real estate prices, however.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I live in NP. I've been there about 3 years, not too far from Fatima Hospital & RIC. It's a nice town, but it's very suburban. There are some "sprawled" out strips like Mineral Spring, and parts of Smith St, but other than that, it's mostly residential.

There are alot of condos & apartment complexes in NP, which is why there's a lot of condos listed (and not too expensive). the housing values are going up quickly though. the town just did a re-assesment and upped most property values. Aside from the condos & townhouses, most other houses are single-family.

let me know if you have other specific questions about it.

I live in NP. I've been there about 3 years, not too far from Fatima Hospital & RIC. It's a nice town, but it's very suburban. There are some "sprawled" out strips like Mineral Spring, and parts of Smith St, but other than that, it's mostly residential.

There are alot of condos & apartment complexes in NP, which is why there's a lot of condos listed (and not too expensive). the housing values are going up quickly though. the town just did a re-assesment and upped most property values. Aside from the condos & townhouses, most other houses are single-family.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks a lot, punkigor. It does sound like a nice town. I'm sure I'll have some more questions.

Tom

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PUNKIGOR or anyone else in the know,

Does North Providence also have the 50% homestead discount on property tax?

PUNKIGOR or anyone else in the know,

Does North Providence also have the 50% homestead discount on property tax?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it definitely has a homestead discount. i don't know the exact percentage, but i do get it (i have a multi-fam so i don't think i got the full 50%, but it was like a $500-700 drop once it took effect)

however, North Providence just did a re-appraisal of property values, so expect the taxes to go way up..

it definitely has a homestead discount. i don't know the exact percentage, but i do get it (i have a multi-fam so i don't think i got the full 50%, but it was like a $500-700 drop once it took effect)

however, North Providence just did a re-appraisal of property values, so expect the taxes to go way up..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, Igor. One site seemed to indicate that the homestead discount was just 20%? Thanks for the info about the tax hike.

http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/PublicLaws/law97/law97249.htm

• 6 months later...

i used to live in NP. it's nice, but very suburban (i realize i'm replying to an old post). mineral spring has everything you could ever need. the "center" of town is actually in the western corner.

NP does border the elmhurst section of providence, which is also more "suburban" in nature. it's a nice section though, quiet with lots of single family homes (unless you go to the part that borders wanskuck or smith hill, then it's more "urban" and that's where most of the PC students live).

NP has a ton of condos and small apartment complexes.

Archived