Loughlin

36 members have voted

1. 1. Is Tiger better than Comerica?

• Tiger Stadium
    • Comerica Park

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tiger Stadium is by far a better park in which to watch a ball game. However, the park was built in an era of lesser expectations and it's amenities didn't meet the demands of modern day consumers. In addition, the stadium was allowed to deteriorate to such a poor condition that it actually became dangerous.

As far as seeing the action on the Field, Tiger Stadium was a lot better. For some reason, I remeber the views being a lot better. But architecturally, Tiger Stadium is worthless, whereas Comerica Park actually looks good. I mean, you can't beat the Tiger Statues and decorative steel arches supporting the stands. But I guess Comerica Park doesn't offer the energy Tiger Stadium used to have. Maybe its because the Tigers suck, I don't know.

For the people who believe Tiger Stadium is going to be saved from the wrecking ball, you are in for a dissapointment. Maintenance money for the old ballbark has run out, and this empty giant cannot stand in the way to progress any longer.

I agree with what Wolverine said. While TS was much better for seeing the game and being right near the action, it did not offer the ammenities people expect at stadiums today. It is not very attractive either...it looks like a warehouse! Tear it down, restore the street grid, and build some nice infill there.

Comerica is much better architecturally, but from what I've heard, if you have a seat on the upper level, it feels like the game is really far away. I don't know that for a fact though, since I always sit on the first level.

Yeah, Tiger was FAR more intimate with more concentration on the actual game of baseball, whereas Comerica may be more architecturally significant, but it's far more commercialized and distracting. What I mean is that there is just so much other stuff going on in the stadium besides baseball that the focal point isn't so much the game as it is the ferris wheel, the over-sized scoreboard, the fountains...

Tiger Stadium definetly has more memories and better seating, but stadiums in this day need ammenities. Many things to do besides watching the game. Besides, the kids want to go down there just to ride the rides and listen to the Opra Hot Dog Man. LOL! I get a kick out of him! I like the view of the city from Comerica anyways.

I agree with what Wolverine said.  While TS was much better for seeing the game and being right near the action, it did not offer the ammenities people expect at stadiums today.  It is not very attractive either...it looks like a warehouse!  Tear it down, restore the street grid, and build some nice infill there.

Comerica is much better architecturally, but from what I've heard, if you have a seat on the upper level, it feels like the game is really far away.  I don't know that for a fact though, since I always sit on the first level.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We have partial season tickets to the Tigers located in the third deck in section 323. The view is quite good and the game does not seem far away at all. I actually had some luck and was able to sit in the Tiger Den section 123 and did not like it as much. It was a worse view of the plate and the screen was annoying to have in the way. Plus the view of downtown is much better from up top and the seats are cheaper to boot!

I prefered the intimacy of Tiger stadium over CoPa. Everyone was close to the action and players could actually hit the ball clear out of the stadium. Now its rare to see a player hit a HR in Comerica its so large.

I guess what I like about the CoPa is how they incorporated Tiger history and the views of the city. Its nice in between innings to looks up and see Detroit's skyline. I will always associate baseball and my childhood with Tiger Stadium but a change was needed.

Fieb8138, I agree with you on the fact that the views from Comerica are very nice. I usually try to sit in the 3rd deck. 327 to 333 are my favorite sections. Such an awesome view of both the game and the city.

I went to Tiger Stadium quite a few times, and enjoyed many ball games there. And now I go to Comerica Park when I get the urge to see some baseball, and in my honest opinion, I'm going to get it from my older friends, but I like Comerica Park much more than T.S. The views are better, the seats are more comfortable, we aren't known for having a ball park that my grandpa could hit a homer out of, and the building of a new stadium has helped to revitalize downtown Detroit.

So, my vote is for Comerica!

The revitalize word is the key point. Corktown is already seeing alot of revitalization without Tiger Stadium, Comerica is helping boost the economy downtown, and people are becoming more familiar with that area, giving them a reason to walk around GCP and other close areas.

between 0 to 15,000 people in attendance, TS is better for baseball viewing, however, after that it begins to lose to Comerica (poles and loosing high fly balls in flight). Regardless of seating situations, I am a Comerica man these days, especially with the changes made in right field.

• 2 months later...

I've been to games at both stadiums, and one thing I like about Tiger Stadium is that it *feels* like a real major league stadium in a HUGE city. Comerica Park is definately nicer as far as amenities go and such, but i miss the larger Tiger Stadium and its original feel. Comerica feels somewhat cheap albeit cleaner and nicer. So i guess I'm undecided here, haha.

The support poles in the stands of Tiger Stadium were obnoxious though, don't you guys think?  If you were anywhere near them, they really blocked your view of one part of the field or another.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol: Yup I do remember those, haha. Modern architecture sure has fixed that thank goodness.

You can't beat the crowds that used to show up for games at the old ballpark. The best part of being at Tiger Stadium was sitting in the dirt cheap bleachers with a bunch of drunks and old guys. You don't see those guys as Comerica as they have been replaced mostly by cheesy suburbanite families. The $5 upper deck seats in the corner by the scoreboard can be fun, but it's just not the same..

I've been to a sold out game at both ball parks and by far, the sold out game at the old stadium was way better. THere weren't the modern amenities, you still had to pee in a trough, but it was just so intense and exciting (this was in the 1990 pennant race).

I almost got thrown out of Comerica for yelling crap at Ken Griffey Jr during the first season at Comerica. I don't think the same would have happened at the old ballpark.

I like both stadiums. Though many of my fondest memories as a child were at "The Corner", I dont think the two stadiums can be compared, quite honestly. It would be like comparing the skill of baseball players from 1912 and 2000. Each stadium was built to meet a certain standard of the time. Back then a stadium could survive without fancy amenities...today that is just not practical. I loved Tiger Stadium and I love Comerica Park, and I'm willing to move beyond comparing two buildings that have done so much for the community.

I like both stadiums.  Though many of my fondest memories as a child were at "The Corner", I dont think the two stadiums can be compared, quite honestly.  It would be like comparing the skill of baseball players from 1912 and 2000.  Each stadium was built to meet a certain standard of the time.  Back then a stadium could survive without fancy amenities...today that is just not practical.  I loved Tiger Stadium and I love Comerica Park, and I'm willing to move beyond comparing two buildings that have done so much for the community.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nicely said. I too had a hard time comparing them because they are so different and each have their own pros and cons, and because when you think about it, it is like comparing apples and oranges.

Although I didnt get to attend a ton of games at the corner, I attended enough to know that when you were there it was something special, and there was baseball being played. Comerica is more like a theme park. All the little kids whining about going to the Carousel or the Ferris Wheel gets annoying. At Comerica its harder to find the people who really care about the Tigers and have great knowledge about them. Although they are there and I do see/hear them from time to time. Tiger Stadium closed atmosphere put the spotlight on the game...which is what it was supposed to be. Copa is provides a look to the "outside" world. Which also provides distractions, albeit the skyline is a very nice distraction.

haydenth, I too almost got thrown out of CoPa. During the 119 loss season, which we had a 21 game package to, still do, We brought a HUGE sign made from an old painting cloth that said,"# of losses to the record, thanks for the Memories Ilitch" And the whole stadium could see it from the bleachers. the Crowd control was on us within seconds. They told us we couldnt display a sign criticizing the owner. So we covered up Ilitch and displayed the sign underneath the scoreboard during the birthdays. They got really pissed off and tried to throw us out but took our sign instead. It was well worth it. We like to think that that what woke Mr.Ilitch up to spend more in the offseason. That and losing 119 games.

Archived