Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

I totally agree man...I remember going out to play Richmond Strikers (whose fields are near shortpump) and the only thing out there really was the autoshop with the signature airplane in the roof. The shop is still there, smothered by all the growth but they took the plane down :cry:

They are beginning to fill out the ring around the outside of the Short PumpTown Center. Something that baffles me is that there is a new Circuit City at SPTC yet they kept one open that is maybe 2 miles away open as well.

How about the MASSIVE Magnolia Green development planned in western chesterfield county.It's out past Woodlake. At build out, it will have 5,000 homes and be the largest planned community in the state.It is supposed to be near where the future powhite extension will meet Hull St. Given that the avg household size in Cfield is 2.73 (according to the 2000 census) we are looking at at least 13,650+ residents.

Yeah, if Chesterfield residents are currently complaining about the traffic conditions on Rt. 360, those complaints will only worsen when Magnolia Green is built out unless something is done...and no, widening 360 (though is in the works out to Winterpock Rd.) is NOT the answer nor is it going to be sufficient. Magnolia Green will be located about 3 miles or so west of where the widening of 360 will end. I guess that's why Chesterfield has been pushing for the Powhite extension that would run out toward the Magnolia Green area. Unfortunately, again, if it is built, it will be another toll road. :( It also makes me wonder why Chesterfield would approve of such a housing development when they can't stand the thought of being Richmond's "bedroom community"!

The Watkins Centre is exactly what Chesterfield needs as far as something other than residential development as a tax base. I certainly hope that the Watkins Centre doesn't oversaturate the market. At least, they are forward thinking enough to include commuter rail in their plan, which is HUGE consider we are talking about Chesterfield County (the ultimate anti-mass transit county in the U.S., I believe).

The Watkins Centre is exactly what Chesterfield needs as far as something other than residential development as a tax base.  I certainly hope that the Watkins Centre doesn't oversaturate the market.  At least, they are forward thinking enough to include commuter rail in their plan, which is HUGE consider we are talking about Chesterfield County (the ultimate anti-mass transit county in the U.S., I believe).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

haha yea C-field sure is lacking in the whole public transit dept. I think Watkins will be similar to Innsbrook eventually, though it will be developed a bit more diversely.

They are beginning to fill out the ring around the outside of the Short PumpTown Center. Something that baffles me is that there is a new Circuit City at SPTC yet they kept one open that is maybe 2 miles away open as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe they have to finish out a lease at the older Circuit City or they're evaluating to see how much the newer store canibalizes sales from the older one.

Speaking of comings and goings, my friends and I were going to eat at the Seasons Restaurant in front of SPTC and found out it closed down. As far as I know, that's the first retail casualty on the mall site (Lord & Taylor could technically be the first, but it never broke ground)

Maybe they have to finish out a lease at the older Circuit City or they're evaluating to see how much the newer store canibalizes sales from the older one. 

Speaking of comings and goings, my friends and I were going to eat at the Seasons Restaurant in front of SPTC and found out it closed down.  As far as I know, that's the first retail casualty on the mall site (Lord & Taylor could technically be the first, but it never broke ground)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember hearing about that. It's a nice looking place, but they said sales were horribly below forecasts. There is a Seasons South of the James in commonwealth centre at the intersection of Hull and 288 though if it mattered at all. It wold give you a chance to see the massive transformation that area has seen in the past 5 years...

New Hospital opening soon in Chesterfield County:

"Chesterfield County near intersection Of Route 288 & Powhite Parkway

St. Francis, slated to open in 2005, will be the first new hospital built in Chesterfield County in more than 20 years. This 130-bed hospital will include a 24-hour emergency room, OB/GYN, orthopedics, surgery, cancer care, diagnostic services and an adjacent medical office building. Located south of the James near Route 288, St. Francis will bring over 400 new jobs to the area.

The St. Francis Medical Office Building opened in October 2004 and is serving patients South of the James. The facility includes an ambulatory surgery center, Sheltering Arms outpatient rehabilitation services, and numerous specialties including pediatrics, orthopaedics, ophthalmology, ear-nose-throat, lab services and a broad range of women

Edited by wrldcoupe4

I remember hearing about that. It's a nice looking place, but they said sales were horribly below forecasts. There is a Seasons South of the James in commonwealth centre at the intersection of Hull and 288 though if it mattered at all. It wold give you a chance to see the massive transformation that area has seen in the past 5 years...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The fact that the SPTC Seasons looked so nice is one of the reasons we wanted to have dinner there, in fact. Thanks for telling me about the other location. I may try it out next time I'm in the RIC.

Oh man, Commonwealth Centre! That's a very nice development. I remember driving down 360 and seeing it a few years ago for the first time. It wasn't there the time before that I visited. It seemed like this place just popped up overnight!

I think in a earlier era that intersection could have made a great location for a regional mall, but considering that malls are waning right now, the open-air, big-box thing they've got going seems to work just as well, if not better.

Oh man, Commonwealth Centre!  That's a very nice development.  I remember driving down 360 and seeing it a few years ago for the first time.  It wasn't there the time before that I visited.  It seemed like this place just popped up overnight!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL if you havent been through in a few years you are in for some more shock. That area has exploded like you wouldnt even believe. You might not even be able to recognize it anymore. Not to mention the congestion is sometimes a lot like NOVA's. 360 is being widened to accomodate the growth, will is growing exponentially.

Here's a list of some companies headquartered in Henrico County:

Alfa Laval Inc.

Anthem

The Brink's Company

CarMax

Carpenter Company

Circuit City Stores

Genworth Financial**

Hamilton Beach-Proctor Silex

Markel Corporation

Owens & Minor

Philip Morris, USA

Southern States Cooperative

bold denotes fortune 500 companies

italics denotes fortune 1000

**Since Genworth wasn't a year old when fortune did their latest edition, it wasn't listed though it will be in the fortune 500.

My inlaws on Chester road not too far from the 7-11 and the food lion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's kind of near rt 288 I think.... The library is over on or near ironbridge road I think. I don't know how familiar you are with the area. I'm from chesterfield but from western chesterfield near midlothian. There is a really cool development called Chester Village going on in "Old Chester"...I'll try to post some info on it.

here we go:

"In the heart of Chester is a unique new community with the ambiance of yesteryear and all of the conveniences of today. Chester Village Green is a planned development designed in the tradition of a bygone era when families strolled down the street on summer evenings stopping to talk to neighbors on their front porches, relaxing on park benches playing checkers or watching children play in the park-like common areas. Recalling the conveniences of walking to the library, school and small, local businesses, this community is one of a kind in the area.

Located off Route 10 at the end of Centre Street, Chester Village Green features:

Brick column entry with pond view

Tree-lined sidewalks with streetlights

Three landscaped common areas

Curb and gutter

Sidewalks from home to main walkways

Rear entry garages accessed by alley-ways

Lawn maintenance

Four sided sod and irrigation

Trash Service"

This is the master plan:

lg_MasterPlan.gif

Edited by wrldcoupe4

I know Richmond and that area very well. I lived over there for 2 years.

I know Midlothian area as well. Me and the family would go to the park off of courthouse by the mall. And they do live by 288

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which one? Rockwood, Huguenot? I used to play soccer at Huguenot park back in the day......Where in Richmond did you live?

LOL if you havent been through in a few years you are in for some more shock. That area has exploded like you wouldnt even believe. You might not even be able to recognize it anymore. Not to mention the congestion is sometimes a lot like NOVA's. 360 is being widened to accomodate the growth, will is growing exponentially.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll bet. Chesterfield County today has become what Henrico County was in '70s and '80s: the hotbed for new development.

I'll bet.  Chesterfield County today has become what Henrico County was in '70s and '80s: the hotbed for new development.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed though the county is concerned it will become a bedroom community. There is tons of retail and residential, but not as much business as they would like. Perhaps more business will follow? Chesterfield has already outpaced henrico in growth and population and also has plenty more land than henrico. I just hope that control the sprawl...