Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

Agreed though the county is concerned it will become a bedroom community. There is tons of retail and residential, but not as much business as they would like. Perhaps more business will follow? Chesterfield has already outpaced henrico in growth and population and also has plenty more land than henrico. I just hope that control the sprawl...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The biggest thing that hinders most localities in landing buisness is lack of a qualified workforce and lack of suitable loactions for offices and factories. Fortunately, Chesterfield doesn't have those problems so it all comes down to properly promoting its attributes to the business community.

The Watkins Centre development could be the answer to the employment questions for Chesterfield. So could a creative use for the old Cloverleaf and Cheaterfield Towne Center properties.

The biggest thing that hinders most localities in landing buisness is lack of a qualified workforce and lack of suitable loactions for offices and factories.  Fortunately, Chesterfield doesn't have those problems so it all comes down to properly promoting its attributes to the business community.

The Watkins Centre development could be the answer to the employment questions for Chesterfield. So could a creative use for the old Cloverleaf and Cheaterfield Towne Center properties.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea, chesterfield has the highest income levels in the region and ranked 17th in the country out of over 3000 cities and counties for quality of life last year. The county has said that they have already had people express interest for office space at cloverleaf. The location there is awesome. To be fair chesterfield does have many business develoments and office parks, but proportionate to the residential its a bit lower than what the county would like. It can't attract businesses like henrico....

Yea, chesterfield has the highest income levels in the region and ranked 17th in the country out of over 3000 cities and counties for quality of life last year. The county has said that they have already had people express interest for office space at cloverleaf. The location there is awesome. To be fair chesterfield does have many business develoments and office parks, but proportionate to the residential its a bit lower than what the county would like. It can't attract businesses like henrico....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Chesterfield can with ready land for developemnt like Henrico opened up a couple decades ago.

One thing that is on Chesterfield's side is that Western Henrico and the city are pretty much built out. Going farther west than the Short Pump/Innsbruck/288 area, the driving distance back to town becomes a problem. Digging further into the city carries its own problems, including preserving historic neighborhoods and the perception and reality of crime and blight.

Chesterfield can with ready land for developemnt like Henrico opened up a couple decades ago. 

One thing that is on Chesterfield's side is that Western Henrico and the city are pretty much built out.  Going farther west than the Short Pump/Innsbruck/288 area, the driving distance back to town becomes a problem.  Digging further into the city carries its own problems, including preserving historic neighborhoods and the perception and reality of crime and blight.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea I know damn well that those historic neighborhoods won't be touched, and its a good thing too. However, there are parts of Richmond city proper that could use a facelift, and I believe/hope that gentrification could really start becoming a trend. Especially southside Richmond and parts of northside as well. As for Henrico, I've heard several times that the west end is nearing buildout. Innsbrook is almost built out as well. I hope Goochland continues to stringently control growth as to prevent further sprawl, though they do have the massive West Creek development which is home to the Capital One campus. Performance Food Group and the Farm Bureau of VA also have corporate headquarters there. Chesterfield has a great infrastructure in place, not to mention a low crime rate and verrrrrry good, nationally recognized schools. We'll have to see.

I think the city leaders and local developers are missing a golden oppurtunity by largely ignoring the Southside's potential as a redevelopment site. It's prcatically downtown and has decent access to highways and infrastructure.

Most of the 360 corridor east of Chippenham is pratically screaming for new housing and business oppurtunites and the land is available for it without displacing many citizens, if any.

I don't know if its being ignored because its the inner city or what, but I pass through there sometimes and wonder why no one is redeveloping such prime real estate.

Up to 800 more new jobs for the richmond area!

Medicare Helpline call center to bring 800 jobs, $5.6 million to Chesterfield County

Richmond.com

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Governor Mark R. Warner has announced that Pearson Government Solutions will invest $5.6 million to open a government services call center in Chesterfield County, creating up to 800 new jobs by the end of the year. The facility will provide support for the 1-800 Medicare Helpline. According to the governor, Virginia successfully competed against Maryland and Pennsylvania for the project.

"The addition of this major employer is exciting news for Chesterfield County," said Warner in a released statement. "Pearson Government Solutions was sold on our quality workforce, access to an existing high-tech facility, and the strong cooperative relationship between state and local governments."

Pearson will hire between 220 and 250 people in the short-term, adding others during the course of the year during peak times. The company anticipates at its busiest time it will employ 800 people at its facility....

.......Pearson Government Solutions is a business of Pearson, a $7 billion international media company. Pearson Government Solutions has more than 5,500 employees worldwide.

"We are thrilled to have our newest facility in Chesterfield County," said Mac Curtis, President and CEO, Pearson Government Solutions. "It

not bad for a good announcement 2 days in a row:

"MGC Advanced Polymers, Inc. holds plant dedication

Richmond.com

Thursday, May 05, 2005

MGC Advanced Polymers, Inc. held a plant dedication today for its new Nylon-MXD6 production facility in Chesterfield County. The plant is based on Mitsubishi's proprietary, state-of- the-art polymer technology. The company invested $20 million and employs 25 new workers.

Mitsubishi Gas Chemical Company is the world's leading supplier of Nylon-MXD6. With headquarters in Tokyo, Japan, Mitsubishi develops, produces and markets top-quality polymers based on its long and diversified business experience.

"We are delighted to be locating in Chesterfield County, Virginia.," said Tomiyoshi Furuta, President of MGC Advanced Polymers, Inc. "A clean, safe and environmentally controllable manufacturing facility, an educated workforce and proximity to customers in the U.S. through access to major interstate highways are key elements to our strategy. Chesterfield County's pro-business climate has convinced us that the county meets our present and future needs and should be our new home."

"We are thrilled to welcome MGC Advanced Polymers, Inc. to Chesterfield County," said Chesterfield County Board of Supervisors Chairman Edward Barber. "This is a quality company that complements the growing cluster of advanced material companies in the county."

Chesterfield County Administrator Lane B. Ramsey added, "We are very happy to welcome this newest addition to the growing family of hi-tech manufacturers that call Chesterfield County home."

MGC Advanced Polymers, Inc. is a joint venture of Mitsubishi Gas Chemical Company, Inc. and Marubeni Corporation.

The Chesterfield County Department of Economic Development was assisted by the Greater Richmond Partnership and the Virginia Economic Development Partnership in securing this project for Chesterfield County."

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to check this place out when I get back from school.....

"Cheeburger Cheeburger opening in Chesterfield

GREGORY J. GILLIGAN

TIMES-DISPATCH COLUMNIST

May 15, 2005

Ed and Sukey McGolrick decided to be their own bosses several years ago. He left a career with some prestigious companies in the hospitality business, including Ritz-Carlton and a Ruth's Chris Steak House. In 2001, they opened their first Cheeburger Cheeburger restaurantfranchise on Nuckols Road in western Henrico County. Cheeburger Cheeburger recreates a 1950s-style diner, complete with a soda fountain, ice cream shakes and, of course, cheeseburgers.

Their first restaurant boomed in popularity -- it has the highest sales per square foot in the 50-restaurant chain, ringing up nearly $1 million in sales last year.

This week, they will open their second Cheeburger Cheeburger -- at the southwest corner of Midlothian Turnpike and Courthouse Road, near Bed Bath & Beyond.

The new restaurant has about 3,000 square feet of space, which is about 40 bigger than the one on Nuckols Road.

"We loved the concept when we first looked into it," Sukey McGolrick said. "We thought it would be popular here, and it has proved to be so far.""

article

more sprawl.....hopefully it can at least be some sort of 'smart' sprawl:

"$75 million development being planned

Office and retail project would be just west of the Short Pump mall

BY DEBORAH RIDER ALLEN

SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT

May 22, 2005

A new office and retail development is taking root just west of Short Pump Town Center.

The Breeden Co. Inc., based in Virginia Beach, plans to begin work on the $75 million project early in 2006 and have it completed by late that year.

The Towne Center West development would include 125,000 square feet of retail and office space, 144 apartments, a hotel and restaurants.

The 42-acre property is on the north side of West Broad Street, essentially between the mall and the Dominion Short Pump car dealership.

It took Breeden nearly a year to assemble the land.

"There were six separate property owners with an array of farms," said Kent Little, Breeden's president and chief executive officer.

"In the western part of Henrico County, the economy is so healthy in terms of the incomes and in terms of the jobs that we saw a bright future for that area," Little said.

The company knew the area was ripe for more development after building The Reflections at West Creek, a the 290-unit apartment complex, behind the Dominion Short Pump lot a year ago.

"Based on the performance of the apartment units, we felt optimistic about the prospects of further development and continued with our plans for Towne Center West," said Little.......

......For instance, Darden Restaurants Inc., the nation's largest casual-dining chain whose restaurants include Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Bahama Breeze and Smokey Bones Barbeque & Grill, has contacted Breeden about putting one of its restaurant concepts there, Little said.

A full-service hotel from a national chain is planned..........

......Towne Center West would even supply a tram to provide transportation for the apartment dwellers from its complex as well as the adjacent Reflections of West Creek. The tram would take them to stores, restaurants and the hotel within the development as well as to Short Pump Town Center........"

article

More news concerning the Watkins Center from NBC 12 news:

New massive development plans proposed for Chesterfield County

By Ray Daudani

NBC12 News

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

See Video

The Chesterfield Board of Supervisors got the ball rolling on a plan to build the largest shopping center in our area. Land near Routes 60 and 288 would be turned into a massive office, commercial and residential development.

The land near Routes 288 and 60 sits undeveloped right now, but a plan is in the works to change all that. With the extension of 288, Chesterfield County is seeing massive growth, but most of it has been residential.

The Watkins Center Plan would transform more than 600 acres of this land into a corporate center, 1,200 homes and the largest shopping center in the Richmond metro area.

The Board of Supervisors took the first step in the zoning process at a meeting Wednesday afternoon, but says there is still much more work to be done as it plans how to develop the county for the future. Ed Barber, Board of Supervisors chairman says, "It's exciting because it really is the next 20 years worth of quality development in Chesterfield."

The county

More news concerning the Watkins Center from NBC 12 news:

There is a video you can watch about the center on that same page as well.  Check it out.  Watkins actually wants to huge retail center, which I feel would be a HUGE mistake.  I think Chesterfield could do better by focusing on office space and residential than screwing themselves and Richmond as a whole by building another huge retail center.  I also want to make mention that there is a video about the NASCAR HOF proposal to be submitted next Tuesday in Charlotte.  It made mention that the owner of Lowes Motor Speedway was going to donate $50 million to build a monorail system from the speedway to the HOF if Charlotte won the proposal war.  All I have to say is, "wow! - that would be quite cool!"  Anyway, Charlotte is going to be really tough to beat!  We'd better lay down the best proposal one can throw down to win this thing!  With what I'm hearing, it appears that we will be lucky if we win the proposal.  I hope we've got something up our sleeve to pull this off.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm with you, Eric. Another hugh, upscale shopping center cannot succeed in an already saturated market. Chesterfield/Watkins made their mistake by not acting on this years ago before a shovel hit the ground on 288 and before Short Pump and Stoney Point got under way.

Haven't looked at the Nascar video, but if the HOF is to be downtown CLT, that would be one helluva long monorail between it and the track. And it would only cost $50 mil?

Richmond's bid may have an ace in the hole by offering the choice of 2 sites - one at RIR and another out there where the State Fair tried unsuccessfully to relocate before settling for Hanover/Caroline. (I may be wrong about the 2nd site, but from what I've read, it certainly sounds like that area east of I-295 and between US60 and I-64 is the site under consideration.)

I may be in the wrong thread to post this, but the subject company IS suburban (damn it!).

Capital One, locally headquarted on a campus spread in Goochland's West Creek, is AGAIN cutting jobs. Last November. 750 company-wide jobs were eliminated (about half of that number in Richmond). Now, an additional 170 Richmond jobs are on the chopping block. These positions are to out-sourced to an IBM division and, as is the current big business trend, many of the jobs will go to India.

At its peak, Cap One employed 10,125 people in the Richmond area. That employment figure, as of January 2005, was down to 7,346.

Today's RTD is the source of this information. Check it for the full story. :angry:

I may be in the wrong thread to post this, but the subject company IS suburban (damn it!).

Capital One, locally headquarted on a campus spread in Goochland's West Creek, is AGAIN cutting jobs.  Last November. 750 company-wide jobs were eliminated (about half of that number in Richmond).  Now, an additional 170 Richmond jobs are on the chopping block.  These positions are to be <_<  out-sourced to an IBM division and, as is the current big business trend, many of the jobs will go to India.

At its peak, Cap One employed 10,125 people in the Richmond area.  That employment figure, as of January 2005, was down to 7,346.

Today's RTD is the source of this information.  Check it for the full story. :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A little sunshine: IBM will establish an operation in Richmond and hire 50 people to help with the out-sourced Capital One jobs, so they won't all go to India and elsewhere.

closing Kroger won't sit empty for long in C-field:

The Ashley Companies have sublet 50,712 square feet of retail space at Victorian Square Shopping Center from Kroger for a new Ashley Furniture store at 10921 Hull St.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is great news! I sure would hate to see that shopping center go empty while everything new was heading further west. It's good to hear that businesses that are moving out will be quickly replaced. Thanks for the reassuring news!

• 1 month later...

Wouldn't it be great if turn-over of vacant space downtown was as quick as in the burbs? B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would be nice Burt, but it would also be nice if the, virtually, empty space on 360 between the old Manchester High School and the area around 288 would fill in instead of the big jump of development. How dumb was that to let that go on? Chesterfield is crazy someti...I mean, they are crazy a lot of the times! Ryan Ramsey the author of RCW works for Chesterfield County (who just moved to the City of Richmond by-the-way), but I'm sure he doesn't have enough "say" as to what Chesterfield decides on in the way of how development occurs there. Oh well. At least someone with some brains is working for the county! :D

I agree, the county's growth practices consistently leave me going..."wtf???". I think a green line like they have in Va Beach should be put in place and developers should do gentrification in the county's older sectors before building up on new land.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really think that alot people want to live in the burbs and want to be fairly close to work. Also its cheaper to build in the burbs than build in Downtown. Plus the county has more land at a cheaper price and they can build parking lots not parking garages.

I agree its cheaper, but the county's growth patterns are sporatic and chaotic at best sometimes. Growth is inevitable, but it should at least be responsible. A 5000+ home development is planned off rt 360 west of Woodlake and Hampton Park. Why are we going soooo far westward when there is still plenty of available land to the east that has been skipped over?? The sporatic growth hurts the county in more ways than it helps. Infrastructure can't keep up. Have any of you been on Hull St near brandermill lately? TRaffic is an absolute nightmare. Most of the schools are overcrowded, response times for fire and ems are being stretched endangering lives. Stretching water and gas lines to leap frogged developments becomes costly for the county. When I say gentrification, I mean smart reuse of older sectors. The Cloverleaf Mall plan is a good example. I could go on and on but I have touched on a few points.