Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

18 minutes ago, Shakman said:

Residential development in Watkins Centre:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2018/03/19/90m-apartments-anchor-watkins-centre-project/

Excerpt from the article: 

"Nearly 2,100 units have either been approved or are in planning stages within 1.5 miles of the future Watkins Centre Apartments."

The Midlothian area is booming in apartment development right now. I see a lot of these projects living in the area and with all the developments near Winterfield Road, plus the developments at Watkins, which is going to be mixed use and dense, a commuter rail line or BRT line to Midlothian could become a very real possibility as many areas up and down the turnpike are poised for major redevelopment. 

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

I think that if local economic development officials can land a high tech, super cool manuafacturing facility here it would be HUGE for the area!  The only caveat/requirement I have is that it has to employ thousands of people with quality paying jobs.  Apparently, mega sites, such as the one being proposed in Chesterfield, are fairly rare to come by in mid to major markets like Richmond and should be a very attractive piece of land to attract a massive manuafacturing operation.  I'm all for this if it isn't consumed by just data centers that don't employ many people.  Richmond needs something huge that will place it on the map for manufacturing a particular "widget" (whatever it is) or car/aircraft.  Well, it is closer to becoming a reality now.  Check it out here:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2018/03/23/chesterfield-finalizes-request-megasite-rezoning/

I'm really pulling for this too, I hope it all goes through and the NIMBY's don't kill it. The location is great too, I'm hoping being in the southern part of the county and close to I95 will help out the Petersburg area, providing jobs and opportunity; if the whole region is doing well then we'll all feel the benefit!

17 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

The Midlothian area is booming in apartment development right now. I see a lot of these projects living in the area and with all the developments near Winterfield Road, plus the developments at Watkins, which is going to be mixed use and dense, a commuter rail line or BRT line to Midlothian could become a very real possibility as many areas up and down the turnpike are poised for major redevelopment. 

Just need to convince Chesterfield to actually implement public transit, I hope they do with the densi-fication happening at the City/County borders

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, JSI said:

Tower crane is going up for Drury Hotel in the Suntrust parking lot across from CarMax on West Broad Street.

pic.jpg

NICE!  That's what I like to see...tower cranes going up all over the place in Richmond!  Yes!

• Like 2

Well, this sucks.  I was hoping that Richmond would be able to land a huge manufacturer to employee thousands in the area.  I hope the idea doesn't die completely.  There is plenty of land on the east side of town that might also be good for this sort of development.  If this site is dead, hopefully it will be resurrected somewhere else in town.  If not, richmond will be behind the curve again.  I know that the Raleigh/Durham area has a Megasite available, so at this point they would get one before Richmond would.  Why can't we just get our act together?!  Frustrating!

http://www.richmond.com/news/local/chesterfield/embattled-economic-development-authority-withdraws-chesterfield-megasite-plans/article_1bd09cdb-b06f-50de-8255-d5e4ab958be5.html

3 hours ago, eandslee said:

Well, this sucks.  I was hoping that Richmond would be able to land a huge manufacturer to employee thousands in the area.  I hope the idea doesn't die completely.  There is plenty of land on the east side of town that might also be good for this sort of development.  If this site is dead, hopefully it will be resurrected somewhere else in town.  If not, richmond will be behind the curve again.  I know that the Raleigh/Durham area has a Megasite available, so at this point they would get one before Richmond would.  Why can't we just get our act together?!  Frustrating!

http://www.richmond.com/news/local/chesterfield/embattled-economic-development-authority-withdraws-chesterfield-megasite-plans/article_1bd09cdb-b06f-50de-8255-d5e4ab958be5.html

No growthersbin the burbs shot it down. They will soon be squashed when the east west freeway gets built within the next 20 years and that site is covered in suburbs sprawl. Th east end though has multiple sites that are perfect for a possible mega site though so if it happens, it will happen there.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had a customer of mine mention a development on a lake off of route 33. She mentioned that it was going to be huge. I don’t remember how she knew about it but this must be it. I even tried to google it shortly after with no success. Heck, even tried to look up the name of the lake and stream to see if it would hit. Nothing popped up. This will be great if it’s built. This is Hanover and they can really screw  it up when it comes to big projects.  Outlet mall for one......

27 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Where off of 33 will this be located?  I’m having trouble envisioning where this is proposed to be located. 

It is just past the 295 interchange, right past hunton park boulevard. 

To be honest, I would be fine with this if it was more dense(ie. less surface parking lots. The buildings look nice and urbanish but the mass parking lots destroy any possibility of it being urban.

• Thanks 1