Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

A lot of information to be updated. But the landscape of the site really takes getting used to being all bare. I know one thing... forget Red Lobster... we need a Chik-Fil-A! My mother wants a California Kitchen... yes we are aware of its other location.

Reynolds Crossing Update:

There is a sign showing the rendering of Reynolds Crossing One is up. The building will may only be 70,000 at 4-stories, but I like the curved glass facade. Delivery will be Spring of 2008.

Westin Hotel is s-l-o-w-l-y rising; one CMU course at a time.

The mid-rise being built next to the Westin is underway. It may look like land clearing but, utilities and grading have been ongoing. Also, additional equipment (foundation related) has arrived onsite.

Work on the caissons has started for the 7-story building at Reynolds Crossing. (The building with the mystery tenant.)

Work on the caissons has started for the 7-story building at Reynolds Crossing. (The building with the mystery tenant.)

I may be confused, but I think someone at RCW says the mystery tenant will be Bon Secures Medical.

I was hoping for a new Fortune 500 company from out-of-town.

As Joey's history teacher says, "crapola"! :P

Bon Secours is not the "mystery" tenant. Ben Secours will be a Renynolds Crossing tenant occupying the 4-story, 70,000 sqft Reynolds Crossing One. This building will be located at the intersection of Glenside and Forest Ave. Delivery will be Spring 2008. There is a rendering onsite. The structure will have curved glass facade.

The "aloft" Hotel (part of Starwood Properties) mentioned for West Broad Village will have only 135 rooms. I wonder if it will be a free-standing building or incorporated into another structure?

We're still waiting for Tommy, our man on the scene, to verify the height of The Hilton at Towne Center West. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was on my way out to Goochland today to a Flooring Warehouse to look at some Tiles and I was amazed to how much more land there is between Short Pump and the Goochland county line. If you ride out that way you will still see some Acres of Woods and Large Fields. I still think theres a right good amount of land left on the most western end of Henrico before you get into Goochland. Tommy you should ride out that way sometime to the Goochland Line and see for yourself all the Fields and Wooded Area's. I just found it kind of Surpriseing.

Edited by Downtowner

Won't Petco be an anchor for Short Pump Station?

Yes, and they're shooting for a fall opening. They just opened up out at Hull St & 288, and plan on Short Pump, Chester, Mechanicsville and Watkins Centre in the next year.

Just because there is green out there left doesn't mean, OH IT MUST BE PAVED! No it must be saved! Besides, Goochland doesn't have the interest in sprawl as Henrico does. I doubt there would be much more development past the line, other than around 288. There's already enough development in Short Pump. What more does it must have? Another coffee shop? Another pet store? Another hotel? Maybe Circuit City would build yet another store out there as if two already 5 minutes apart isn't enough.

Cam I hate to tell you this but Goochland is already building up. Even though I'm a former Goochland Resident I'm glad to see Goochland building up. Means more people from out of state and other Metros in VA are choosing to move to Richmond. Cam If I were you I would wake up and realize that Richmond isn't gonna stay this size forever its gonna be growing even more It won't stop. People will continue to move west as it gets more and more crowded and then people to the east will move further east to where its not crowded. Its just the way it is. Richmond won't stay this size forever Cam I hope you one day realize that.

Edited by Downtowner

RIchmond will grow yes, but sensibly. Sprawl is not growth, it's garbage. And just because we're going to grow as a Metro (because Richmond sure isn't growing in size), all the localities do not have the desire that Henrico and Chesterfield have. Look at Hanover who wants to keep 70% of its land rural. Goochland may build land closer to Henrico but that's all that's going to happen to Goochland. That county does not want what it sees in Henrico, neither does Hanover. However, New Kent has open arms and would probably be the new frontier.

Well Cam let me ask you this.. Where are they gonna build once all the land in Henrico and Chesterfield is taken up? Because I would surely not think that they would stop building in the Metro Richmond. Cam what makes you so sure that Goochland doesn't wanna be like Henrico? What about Powhatan? Cam I just don't think you get the big picture of what a Metro does. Look at other cities that are just a little bigger than us they didn't just stop growing after a few counties. They kept growing and growing. I know I dont like sprawl either I'm more of a city type of person. But Look at Atlanta they didn't stop after just a few counties they kept growing and growing and are still growing. I'm just trying to get you to realize what will happen one day. You might like it or not but it will happen sooner or later.

Edited by Downtowner

Building up and suburban infill are options before paving over more greenfields IMO. There's so many areas within the older suburban areas that are really scummy that could be redeveloped and places that were never developed in the first place which were simply "leapfrogged" over. Cloverleaf Mall's redevelopment and Gumenick's plans on Staples Mill are both great examples of reusing older suburbs. Those new townhomes on Monument near Willow Lawn is another example. Chesterfield also has a long while before its western suburbs are built out as well.

Maybe one day, but Goochland tends to like its rural character. Powhatan may be different though. I thought I heard they are growing faster than they've had before. But if you want Richmond to build up, you have to stop building out.

Maybe one day, but Goochland tends to like its rural character. Powhatan may be different though. I thought I heard they are growing faster than they've had before. But if you want Richmond to build up, you have to stop building out.

Well my friend, Powhatan is sprawling as well. Ride on 60 and you will see cookie cutter subdivisions sprouting up.

I know, that's Powhatan, not Goochland. There is a political division between the counties that's in the middle of the James. The people who govern Powhatan may be more inclined to that style of development than those of Goochland even if they may both share the same far outskirts location.