Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

According to channel 6, White Oak Village will be having its groundbreaking tomorrow and should list more stores.

From Channel 6:

In the fall of 2008, East Enders will be able to shop at stores like Target, Sam's Club, PetSmart, Circuit City, Lowe's and JCPenney without driving too far. Developers also announced a Hyatt Place Hotel will also be added to the site [...] Dozens of new stores will also open in the open-air mall, and those names will be announced as soon as they sign-on.

Im not surprised that only one city made this list, and Virginia Beach barely scratches the surface as a city in my mind... Richmond would do itself a lot of favors to get that many people back into the city proper...

I like looking at population figures by density/people per square mile. It's a bit more indicative of what type of place you'd expect to find there.

Norfolk Metro - 668.3

Richmond Metro - 338.4

WDC/Balt Metro - 978.5

Va Beach City - 1,712.7

Norfolk City - 4,362.8

Portsmouth City - 3,032.7

Richmond City - 3,292.6

Chesapeake City - 584.6

Unless a dramatic paradigm shift occurs I would expect that the "cities" are not going to grow much since they are largely out of space. It's hard to imagine people moving to Richmond City in droves, but that would be cool. As you can see, Chesapeake has lots of elbow room in it. It will grow. Norfolk, not so much. It might, might grow. We'll see. But if Manhattan can pack in 34,000 per square mile, anything's possible.

I like looking at population figures by density/people per square mile. It's a bit more indicative of what type of place you'd expect to find there.

Norfolk Metro - 668.3

Richmond Metro - 338.4

WDC/Balt Metro - 978.5

Va Beach City - 1,712.7

Norfolk City - 4,362.8

Portsmouth City - 3,032.7

Richmond City - 3,292.6

Chesapeake City - 584.6

Unless a dramatic paradigm shift occurs I would expect that the "cities" are not going to grow much since they are largely out of space. It's hard to imagine people moving to Richmond City in droves, but that would be cool. As you can see, Chesapeake has lots of elbow room in it. It will grow. Norfolk, not so much. It might, might grow. We'll see. But if Manhattan can pack in 34,000 per square mile, anything's possible.

The main reason new yorks is so high is because they build up, not out. Virginia Beach is a prime example of the out mentality... chesapeake too. I will give them both mulligans here though, as they both have set aside large tracts of land, so that skews their numbers somewhat.

I'm posting this Commercial Notes feature from today's Times Dispatch because it is typical of the ommission of downtown leases and sales. Almost inevitably, the weekly column deals exclusively with suburban deals; rarely is there mention of anything going on downtown. Does the TD have a bias against real estate agents who represent downtown properties, or is there truly nothing going on down there?

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/news/...07-29-0115.html

• 2 weeks later...

Tommy. I thought that road along the west side of WBV was John Rolfe Pkwy, but when driving the crooked and curvy street I swear it said Three Chopt Road. Was I seeing things? A newer and improved Three Chopt also runs below WBV and intersects with Pump Road.

I noticed all the advanced construction of the 295/64 flyover. And the connection from Town Center West to the SPTC ring road is usable, which it was not in early April.

A button had fallen off my shirt and I had a meeting downtown so I stopped at the Customer Service desk at SPTC asking for a mending shop and they directed me to a cleaners at the far southern end of another shopping center on Pump Rd. A very nice lady there sewed on a new button and refused to take any payment. That's Southern hospitality! ;)

Edited by burt

Tommy. I thought that road along the west side of WBV was John Rolfe Pkwy, but when driving the crooked and curvy street I swear it said Three Chopt Road. Was I seeing things? A newer and improved Three Chopt also runs below WBV and intersects with Pump Road.

Right now, John Rolfe Parkway only exists between Lauderdale Dr and Ridgefield Parkway.

untitled1xf0.jpg

Burt that WAS Three Chopt... the doomed end of it that developers have no sense of history to preserve. I'm ashamed that someone hadn't protected Three Chopt or added it to the National Registry or something. The road was here long before Richmond... if that doesn't qualify as historic, I don't know what does.

Edited by Cadeho

A 4 mile stretch of the future Powhite parkway has become dedicated right of way. Starting a few hundred feet north of Hull street, about a quarter mile east of its intersection with Beaver Bridge Rd, it continues about halfway back towards Powhite's current terminus. The right of way does not reach all the way to Hull street, there is still about 400 feet remaining in private ownership. The Magnolia Green development is directly adjacent to much of the land that has been dedicated. There will be an interchange just south of Duval road, and the land for this interchange has been dedicated as well. More info later.

Edited by mclawsdrive

Not sure what to do with this, so Ill stick it in here..

This is a map taken from the TCW website(made especially for well, TCW), and I decided to add the 3 other major developments, WBV, Short Pump Station(SPS), and The corner At Short Pump.

6ewtmx2.jpg

**Keep in mind, the boundaries for the three developments I added are not exact, whatsoever..just a general feel for what it will map out to be.

Edited by TBurban

Here's a story for the edification of our suburban-loving Cam. :P It details plans for 5,000 new housing units in the Bermuda section of Chesterfield. But I have to admit that without a map I am unable to identify its location -- especially when it talks about the developers building part of "The Powhite Pkwy" connecting with I-95:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news/tuesday...08-21-0090.html

I don't care about Chesterfield... I just hate Short Pump.

You'll be happy, I'm moving in less than two years..and the parents are retiring to the Hampton Roads/Williamsburg area. I think I'll come back to Richmond though..it's grown on me and I know my way around (for the most part), and it'd be hard to leave for good. I just plain like it here :)

Sorry, :offtopic:

You'll be happy, I'm moving in less than two years..and the parents are retiring to the Hampton Roads/Williamsburg area. I think I'll come back to Richmond though..it's grown on me and I know my way around (for the most part), and it'd be hard to leave for good. I just plain like it here :)

In two years you'll be off on some far away campus (VTech?) learning how to be a landscape architect. Williamsburg isn't much farther away (in Cam's eyes) than Short Pump. You can pass through your old home town on the way from University to the new parental home on the Peninsula and take note of all the growth and changes at all of your former stomping grounds. :yahoo:

After graduation you can get a pied a terre in downtown Richmond. :)

Here's a story for the edification of our suburban-loving Cam. :P It details plans for 5,000 new housing units in the Bermuda section of Chesterfield. But I have to admit that without a map I am unable to identify its location -- especially when it talks about the developers building part of "The Powhite Pkwy" connecting with I-95:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news/tuesday...08-21-0090.html

Ask and receive:

overview map of development itself:

http://chestercommunity.org/bsconcept.html

a rough street map.. should give you an idea of the area though:

roadmap.gif

I'm not exactly sure where the powhite extension would be, but I don't think it is the N<>S parkway connector.

You will love Blacksburg then even more... where in Williamsburg are your folks moving to... not fords colony or kingsmill right? Speaking of, if they havent bought anything yet, send me a message, I could point some good places to buy down there... for retirees...

And when you come back to Richmond looking for a job or an internship, look me up definitely...

Ask and receive:

overview map of development itself:

http://chestercommunity.org/bsconcept.html

a rough street map.. should give you an idea of the area though:

roadmap.gif

I'm not exactly sure where the powhite extension would be, but I don't think it is the N<>S parkway connector.

Thanks, Coupe. This map clarifies the location.

I'm pretty sure the Powhite extension that will be built by HH Hunt & Co. is called East/West Connector. Eventually, it will swing west and north to connect with US 360 (Hull Street Road).

• 2 weeks later...

Why do I have the feeling that if this were in Short Pump, there would be a thread 5 pages deep for it?

It looks like White Oak Village has already sparked another shopping center across the street, Laburnam Station... I'd never have known if there weren't a sign up and clearing going on.

LS_tight_082807600x480.jpg

http://www.thewiltonco.com/retail/4287

Man oh man, a Best Buy near my backyard other than Mechanicsville? I know my mother's going to be delighted.

Edited by Cadeho

What? There's more? Audubon Retail Center is right behind White Oak Village.

Audubon_Retail_Center.jpg

And Drybridge Commons, way out there in the east... come on as much as you guys look at developer's stuff (which I don't obviously), you could have told me!

Drybridge_Commons.jpg Nice to see soemthing coming up at Williamsburg and 295... now if only it could have been or could be a counterbalance to WBV.

What? There's more? Audubon Retail Center is right behind White Oak Village.

Audubon_Retail_Center.jpg

And Drybridge Commons, way out there in the east... come on as much as you guys look at developer's stuff (which I don't obviously), you could have told me!

Drybridge_Commons.jpg Nice to see soemthing coming up at Williamsburg and 295... now if only it could have been or could be a counterbalance to WBV.

You have to have a Short Pump before you have a WBV... so you are getting your Short Pump now...

And that image on top is a Walmart footprint if I am not mistaken... isnt White Oak getting one of those too?

Sam's Club... if that is a Wal-Mart, can they co-exist that close to each other?

I wouldn't say this is exactly turning into Short Pump, however, I was referring to Drybridge out near the White Oak Tech Pk which I can really see as an eastern version if it were at Rt 60 and I-295 and along I-64. It's almost an identical setup, both at interchanges with 64 and 295, both about the same distance from downtown, both near other county borders.