Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

not a problem burt. But there was one thing that caught my eye when looking at the map. If you look at the I-64 North Gayton Road project it states that on number 17 that there is going to be a interchange for gayton road on I-64 im assuming a entrance ramp and a exit ramp for this interchange or maybe even a cloverleaft for the interchange. But It really caught my attention when seeing that.

not a problem burt. But there was one thing that caught my eye when looking at the map. If you look at the I-64 North Gayton Road project it states that on number 17 that there is going to be a interchange for gayton road on I-64 im assuming a entrance ramp and a exit ramp for this interchange or maybe even a cloverleaft for the interchange. But It really caught my attention when seeing that.

It's very hard to read, but I believe #17 says "schedule unknown".for an interchange there. It's probably way off in the future.

Yep exactly I live right across from Maybeury Elementary and there is a sign that says no school and that elections are being taken place there. Cam I agree with you I am beginning to hate short pump more and more now. The Traffic on the weekend is even worse. Which is why im not doing my christmas shopping at short pump anymore. It will take a big wolverine trying to eat me and chaseing me before I go out to Short Pump.

Edited by Downtowner

An observation: On my last trip a month ago, I noticed considerably more shoppers than on past visits at Short Pump Town Center AND Stony Point Fashion Park. Even Saks Fifth Avenue, normally quite reserved, was very active.

Incidentally, the former Manager of Saks -- a man named deWinter -- has retired and has been succeeded by an import from another Saks store.

Carytown, too, looked busier.

And for that matter, even downtown streets had more bustle than usual.

Edited by burt

An observation: On my last trip a month ago, I noticed considerably more shoppers than on past visits at Short Pump Town Center AND Stony Point Fashion Park. Even Saks Fifth Avenue, normally quite reserved, was very active.

Incidentally, the former Manager of Saks -- a man named deWinter -- has retired and has been succeeded by an import from another Saks store.

Carytown, too, looked busier.

And for that matter, even downtown streets had more bustle than usual.

It's because of that damned George Bush economy.

Were you being sarcastic. You make it sound like a bad thing. Read burt's comments again.

If the "Bush Economy" brings activity for Richmond, then I am for it. Good activity that is.

Bush Economy = Credit Crunch.... caused by:

Spending Home Equity Lines

Credit Cards

Housing boom...

All ways for us to be doing brisk business at the more expensive sections of town ;)

Bush Economy = Credit Crunch.... caused by:

Spending Home Equity Lines

Credit Cards

Housing boom...

All ways for us to be doing brisk business at the more expensive sections of town ;)

:offtopic:

Funny... Considering that the Clinton administration created the polices that encouraged subprimes. It just happen to blow up during the Bush years - and so lets blame Bush. :whistling:

One of Clinton's goals was to increase home ownership from 60% to at least 70%. In order to do that the Feds back down from the restrictions that allowed these risky subprime loans to happen. Prior, these risky loans were strongly discouraged by the Feds.

(Just for the record, I am not pro-Bush)

We can go on and on about his topic, but not in this thread.

Back to topic:

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that the steel erection for the two hotels by RIC had commenced. The Holiday Inn will actually look quite nice. There are renderings of both structures are onsite along Airport Road.

Edited by Shakman

Back to topic:

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that the steel erection for the two hotels by RIC had commenced. The Holiday Inn will actually look quite nice. There are renderings of both structures are onsite along Airport Road.

Is there any way to get a rendering of these hotels on here? I've never heard of these plans. It's good news that more hotels are being built around RIC because it means that the area is growing and the airport is generating the traffic that is requiring the extra hotel rooms. This is a very good sign.

One of them is a full service Holiday Inn and will look like a hotel rather than the "motel" look. Both are located between the WaWa and Winngate Inn along Rt 156, on the same site. In order to access the site, one would have to take Interenational Drive. As soon one gets off I-64 and heads towards RIC, they will be on the right, before WaWa. As both structures start ot rise, they will be visible from I-64.

The stretch of I-64, east of the City Limits will look much different 5-years from know, especially with White Oak Village and both of these hotels.

The stretch of I-64, east of the City Limits will look much different 5-years from know, especially with White Oak Village and both of these hotels.

This will be a good thing. I always thought that the area from the airport to downtown Richmond seemed bare and didn't feel like a city until you come upon the tall buildings of downtown. With these hotels and the White Oak Village, it may actually feel like you've arrive to a city rather than a rural area once you get off the plane at the airport and head downtown!

Haha there are tons of development out there but the highway has a buffer of trees and will continue to have them. There isn't any really dense developments to make it look like a city, but rather normal suburbia.

Plus don't expect 64 to be lined with clusters of buildings... a lot of the land along 64 is and has been occupied, typically by industrial places that keep low profiles. Hidden in the forests are subdivisions and apartments. However I'd say from Laburnum to the 295 interchange is where most of the difference will be.

And White Oak rises! I took pictures of steel structures standing on the southestern part of the land the other day.

Edited by Cadeho

Haha there are tons of development out there but the highway has a buffer of trees and will continue to have them. There isn't any really dense developments to make it look like a city, but rather normal suburbia.

Plus don't expect 64 to be lined with clusters of buildings... a lot of the land along 64 is and has been occupied, typically by industrial places that keep low profiles. Hidden in the forests are subdivisions and apartments. However I'd say from Laburnum to the 295 interchange is where most of the difference will be.

And White Oak rises! I took pictures of steel structures standing on the southestern part of the land the other day.

I agree it will look like suburbia (unfortunately). White Oak and the two hotels under construction have a suburbia fell to them.

The trees will provide a "sound" buffer between I-64 and these developments. I-64, east of Richmond, will be slow to develop however due to economics and numerous Civil War sites east of the City.

IMO, the success of White Oak Village will dictate the real estate investments of eastern Henrico County. Ana rea I would like to see improvements is the Rt 60 corridor around RIC.

Edited by Shakman

Most of the Civil War sites are in deep Varina. A lot's already been developed over. I know a lot of people would probably come out to woodwork and pitchfork me for suggesting a town built out at Savage Station with the same name... maybe even a communter rail station out there.