Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

journiyin... It amazes me too. ^_^ (Hence why I mention the source of the information).

I have been to Fairfax Corner and it was a rather nice development. Although it still has that a suburban feel to it (IMO), it is still would seem more pedestrian friendly than White Oak Village and Westchester Commons.

I was under the impression that Westchester Commons was to be an "upscale" development with high end stores. From what I have seen from the developer's website, so much for that, unless there is another component yet to be planned.

Someone had mention Midlothian's potential. I see it too, however it is to my understanding that the County's Midlothian area master plan has strict guidlines for density which would negate any type of urban style density. Is this the case?

Edited by Shakman

• 2 weeks later...

They're demolishing another building at Henrico Plaza. All that'll be left is the Firestone, Anthony's Pizza, and a shop in between them... I'm not sure if that's even open anymore. It was a bridal shop. I wonder, if they'll force Firestone out or will they rebuild on site? The same for Anthony's. I think Anthony's deserves its own outparcel.

Oh and work began last week on rehabbing the old Winn-Dixie at Glen Lea into Steve and Barry's.

They're demolishing another building at Henrico Plaza. All that'll be left is the Firestone, Anthony's Pizza, and a shop in between them... I'm not sure if that's even open anymore. It was a bridal shop. I wonder, if they'll force Firestone out or will they rebuild on site? The same for Anthony's. I think Anthony's deserves its own outparcel.

Oh and work began last week on rehabbing the old Winn-Dixie at Glen Lea into Steve and Barry's.

What is the plan for Henrico Plaza?

Interesting article I read a couple days ago... Impaq's post on RCW reminded me of it:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/06/16/suburb....ref=werecommend

This change can be witnessed in places like Atlanta, Georgia, Detroit, Michigan, and Dallas, Texas, said Leinberger, where once rundown downtowns are being revitalized by well-educated, young professionals who have no desire to live in a detached single family home typical of a suburbia where life is often centered around long commutes and cars.

Instead, they are looking for what Leinberger calls "walkable urbanism" -- both small communities and big cities characterized by efficient mass transit systems and high density developments enabling residents to walk virtually everywhere for everything -- from home to work to restaurants to movie theaters.

The so-called New Urbanism movement emerged in the mid-90s and has been steadily gaining momentum, especially with rising energy costs, environmental concerns and health problems associated with what Leinberger calls "drivable suburbanism" -- a low-density built environment plan that emerged around the end of the World War II and has been the dominant design in the U.S. ever since.

Thirty-five percent of the nation's wealth, according to Leinberger, has been invested in constructing this drivable suburban landscape.

But now, Leinberger told CNN, it appears the pendulum is beginning to swing back in favor of the type of walkable community that existed long before the advent of the once fashionable suburbs in the 1940s. He says it is being driven by generations molded by television shows like "Seinfeld" and "Friends," where city life is shown as being cool again -- a thing to flock to, rather than flee.

What is the plan for Henrico Plaza?

I can't find any plans. I know it was for sell and I'm not sure if it was bought.

The Steve & Barry's sign is up at Glen Lea.

I hope it does well... for some reason I don't think it's a fit for this area.

Unfortunately they probably won't sell things I'd buy.

It's just north of/behind the Glen Lea shopping center at Laburnum and Mechanicsville. It faces Mechanicsville with its main enterance at Neale St.

If I am correct, Henrico Plaza is being redeveloped by Wilhook LLC. In 2003, the developer made motion to have the property rezoned for commercial and single family residential use.

Attached is the link to the request:

http://www.co.henrico.va.us/planning/2003/jul03/c-33c-02.pdf

Edited by Shakman

That refers to a part of Maplewood Farm across the street from Henrico Plaza. I went to the first community meeting with Wilton and Orchard Glen about the project in 2002 (I was staying with my aunt there at the time, just as I spent 11 months last year). The neighborhood basically approved of the project being built nextdoor with some reservations. However, the project evolved and was approved by Henrico as a condominium/retail project named Grove Pointe. However, I'm wondering when they'll start clearing and grading (there are extremely steep ravines on the property). Once it's built my aunt may not have to worry about the deer coming out the forest to eat her pears and other plants.

But like further down Laburnum at Creighton... not much detail as to what's going on.

That refers to a part of Maplewood Farm across the street from Henrico Plaza. I went to the first community meeting with Wilton and Orchard Glen about the project in 2002 (I was staying with my aunt there at the time, just as I spent 11 months last year). The neighborhood basically approved of the project being built nextdoor with some reservations. However, the project evolved and was approved by Henrico as a condominium/retail project named Grove Pointe. However, I'm wondering when they'll start clearing and grading (there are extremely steep ravines on the property). Once it's built my aunt may not have to worry about the deer coming out the forest to eat her pears and other plants.

But like further down Laburnum at Creighton... not much detail as to what's going on.

Thanks for clarifying.

Who are the owner(s) of Henrico Plaza?

Edited by Shakman

• 2 weeks later...

From what I can tell, at White Oak, the Target is the first to have its building be recognizable as a Target. It is lit at night and the parking lot is paved. The Circuit City has its colors and I can tell which building is Lowe's. The little pedestrian part looks like it's supposed to. I really hope it all comes together as it is supposed to be. It looks like the outparcels will start building soon. Across the street, they're building the Best Buy and other places pretty quickly. I did see a coming soon for the development on Audubon. Man I hope this will help bring something to Henrico Plaza and the the vacant A&N.

From what I can tell, at White Oak, the Target is the first to have its building be recognizable as a Target. It is lit at night and the parking lot is paved. The Circuit City has its colors and I can tell which building is Lowe's. The little pedestrian part looks like it's supposed to. I really hope it all comes together as it is supposed to be. It looks like the outparcels will start building soon. Across the street, they're building the Best Buy and other places pretty quickly. I did see a coming soon for the development on Audubon. Man I hope this will help bring something to Henrico Plaza and the the vacant A&N.

Cam,

The coming soon on Auduban is in progress - engineering review and response right now... should be doing earthwork by the end of the year if not sooner... about 180,000-200,000 sf of retail on the side along Auduban, and then some satellite hotels, etc. along Oakleys a little later...

The rest is wetlands, to be preserved as such.

• 3 weeks later...

Henrico spent some bucks to rejuvenate and improve its namesake theatre in Highland Springs. The Henrico Theatre is operational and under the umbrella of the Glen Allen Performing Arts Center. But why is there a total void in the media about what's going on in the building on Nine Mile Road? I checked it out on my last visit and noted on its snazzy marquee that a group called "Taters" was performing that evening. I believe dance concerts and other performances have taken place on its enlarged stage, but somebody is not doing a very good job of publicizing the venue.

Wish I had a picture to post of the theatre. It's a very art deco handsome converted movie house.

Edited by burt

Burt, you know why. Where is it located? And who's going to go to that part of the county from the other side? You also may want to think about the people of Highland Springs itself. If the theater had a car show and hosted drag racing along Nine Mile, it'd be a hit. Springers are not artsy based on the group of people I know live there and family who have lived there.

But the theater is advertised. I've seen it in the Henrico section of the Times-Dispatch that comes out seasonally I believe.

And I have other pics but I uploaded these for you.

100_2625.jpg

100_2626.jpg

100_2627.jpg

100_2628.jpg

Terrific pix, Cam. Many thanks. It is a wonderful representation of its time, and it appears they've done an excellent job of renovation. How about some of the interior?

I'd like to find out attendance figures since its opening last October. I bet a quarter it's doing better than you think -- despite the lack of promotion. You don't have to be highbrow to enjoy live entertainment.

• 4 weeks later...

This story from today's inRich elucidates on plans for Winding Brook Park at the new BASS PRO SHOP in Hanover. Since it mentions a proposed discount mall as well as other features I debated over whether or not to place it in Retail or Suburban. I guess this thread is the proper one.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...08-24-0229.html

Take note StevenRocks and give us your thoughts, please.