Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

Both of the above is excellent news for Chesterfield County. Although I HATE suburbia, I am actually little excited about Roseland.

I went by Westchester Commons and have noticed that numerous retail structures are rising. Target plans to open in 2009. Speaking of which, has anyone noticed that there are more Target's than Wal-Mart's in the Richmond area?

Both of the above is excellent news for Chesterfield County. Although I HATE suburbia, I am actually little excited about Roseland.

I went by Westchester Commons and have noticed that numerous retail structures are rising. Target plans to open in 2009. Speaking of which, has anyone noticed that there are more Target's than Wal-Mart's in the Richmond area?

I have no objections to Roseland. I don't like how Chesterfield always seems to build and not plan and how their residents like the kick the ladder once they've made it there. I hope there won't be any griping or growing pain.

More Targets than Wal-Marts? GOOD! I love Target. Wal-Mart wouldn't be so bad if it weren't always crowded and there were more than 2 registers open. They're like Food Lion when it comes to that.

Does anyone remember how long either store have been in Richmond? I know to me, Wal-Mart was pretty much unknown just prior to the tornado hit one in Colonial Heights in 1993. The first time I remember hearing of a Target, some people were saying it with a French pronounciation and that was in early 1998 right after my freshman year in Fredericksburg.

Finally White Oak's site was updated. http://www.theshopsatwhiteoakvillage.com/ Ukrop's is opening earlier than the official opening October 7th. I'm going to miss the old store... many great memories. I remember basically throwing a tantrum because my granmother didn't wake me up when she went to the then new Ukrop's on Laburnum. That had to have been in 1988. When I finally did get to go there, I left my mark by planting a huge piece of bubblegum on one of the columns. They got the gum off but the spot remained for a few years. :whistling:

Everything's coming up fast and I bet Laburnum Station, which seems to have been renamed Best Buy Station, is trying hard to open when the other center opens. The Hyatt has a weird design to it... I wonder what it'll look like when finished. I can't wait to see what else gets planned after this. I swear Fairfield Commons needs to be put out of its misery and possibly my Varina mall I'd drawn back in 1995 can be built.

Oh and White Oak Village is in 23231... one of the renamed Henrico zips.

Directory map pdf

If I recall correctly, the Westend Wal*Mart was under construction when I was a senior at VCU (90-91). I don't recall if it was open when I left Richmond for grad school that summer but I do remember Broad Street being widened in preparation. When I moved back in 94 there were several in the area.

I actually prefer Wal*Mart to Target. I find a lot of Target items to be over designed and the selection just isn't that great (Target does have Wal*Mart beat with regards to linens). I prefer the working and immigrant class shopper at Wal*Mart over the the suburbanite hockey moms that populate the isles at Target. Follow the crowds and the poor, they will lead you to better deals on every day items every time. That's why the stores are so crowded. Wal*Mart has done a good job of classing the place up a bit lately too, bringing a better experience to the working poor.

Every Wal-Mart I've visited in Richmond is an embarrassment compared to Wal-Marts in other parts of the country. The Wal-Mart off Forest Hill Avenue feels downright unsafe, to be honest. I've actually talked to one person who was a former executive for Wal-Mart who has expressed this same opinion about the Richmond and DC-area Wal-Marts.

wow! sounds like some class and race issues...

I was excited to see an advertisement for a new 6 story Genworth building in the paper yesterday. I was saddened to see that it was being built in Raleigh. It is meant to house their international business headquarters. Now I'm concerned. How committed is Genworth to the Richmond area? Anyone heard any speculation there?

wow! sounds like some class and race issues...

I was excited to see an advertisement for a new 6 story Genworth building in the paper yesterday. I was saddened to see that it was being built in Raleigh. It is meant to house their international business headquarters. Now I'm concerned. How committed is Genworth to the Richmond area? Anyone heard any speculation there?

What do you mean by "class and race issues..." in context to Genworth Financial's plan(s)?

Sometimes I wonder if Greater Richmond Partnership and local governments are really working hard enough to keep businesses and attract new ones.

Genworth should be convinced that Richmond is the place for their National AND International business. But, alas, it seems Carolina continues to raid Richmond's Financial scene.

We're making a lot of assumptions about this...

http://triangle.bizjournals.com/triangle/s.../14/story4.html

This business segment has been in Raleigh for quite some time. They are consolidating the Raleigh are operations in this new facility. Jobs aren't being transferred from Richmond.

That's a relief, coupe. Genworth is just shuffling its present 500 Raleigh employees to a new (but smaller)suburban building in the North Carolina capital.

But on another front, what has happened to the Philip Morris plan to expand its local cigarette-making fscility by adding 2,000+ workers, mostly from a city near Charlotte?

If not the shoppers, what makes you feel unsafe? Are there upturned rakes lying in the isles just waiting to strike you in the head if you accidentally step on them? Wet floors and hanging live wires?

Glad to hear that the business was already in Raleigh. I don't recall Genworth building in the Richmond area lately. It had me worried to see such an investment in Raleigh. If you guys think that there's nothing to worry about, I wont. I've seen too many Richmond businesses move south.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Henrico County prevailed upon the US Postal Service to designate a number of zip codes within its borders as Henrico rather than Richmond. However, despite spending $5.8 million to renovate a stunning art deco theatre in its East End, the county apparently is unwilling to share it with the community at large -- at least in a marketing sense. Admissions are free or very low for its community offerings, but the public has a right to know that its tax dollars have made the facility available for county as well as regional residents. Why keep it a secret?

How many of you are aware of the Henrico Theatre at 305 East Nine Mile Road in Highland Springs? I have yet to see any programming listed in major Metropolitan press sources about events taking place on its new stage.

Here is some info I dug up at google:

http://www.co.henrico.va.us/rec/current_pr...co_theatre.html

Edited by burt

Reynolds Crossing with its several large office buildings, a Max & Erma'srestaurant and a Westin Hotel is almost fully leased despite the economy.

The large property is bounded roughly by I-64, West Broad Street, Glenside Drive and Forrest Avenue. Altria Headquarters in the former Reynolds Metals Building is part of the complex.

From today's R-TD dot com:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business/...-225031/119296/

• 2 weeks later...