Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I really hope this happens -- this sort of adaptive reuse is exactly what needs to happen to stop the continuous movement of stores to more and more distant suburbs. This would also be an important step to keeping Midlothian Turnpike relevant.

Costco Coming to Chesterfield Mall?

According to sources, Costco is close to deciding on whether to move its Hull Street Road location to a free-standing building at Chesterfield Towne Center. To make room for Costco, a vacant space previously occupied by Dillard's department store would be torn down, and Costco would build its own building separate but near the mall.

I guess this means the plans for a Costco across the street are either dead or on hold indefinitely. Both former Dillard's anchors are hideous. Now that Macerich has improved the image of CTC fronting Huguenot and Midlothian, I suspect the focus no turns to the Mall Drive/Koger Center Blvd portions. I think they've done a great job staying aggressive amidst increasing competition.

Burt I have seen a fair amount of cars a t BJ but nothing to the extent of Costco on Broad Street. I still think BJ's will do good but It will only serve people who dont want to drive all the way to Costco on Broad. My mom is starting to go to BJ's for certain things that are a lot cheaper than other stores. Has some good buys but not everything is a good deal. The Gas Station at BJ's seems to do very well. Always see a good amount of cars there.

Edited by Downtowner

There is a Costco at Pentagon Row in D.C. that drives a TON of traffic to that mall.

That Costco is about to get surrounded by highrises. Pentagon Row is a few blocks to the south of Costco.

When I drive by BJ's, it seems quite on the outside while the Costco in Pentagon City has a traffic jam getting into the parking lot... soon to be parking garages due to some proposed develoments on the parking lots.

Edited by Shakman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone notice the hotel that has sprout up on Glenside near Broad, next to the K-Mart?

I have never seen a metro area with this many hotels u/c.

I don't know where K-Mart is, but could you be referring to the new Westin near Broad, Glenside and I-64? There is also an Embassy Suites in that area.

Ryan has pix of the new Hilton Convention Center at Town Center West as well as the new Sierra Hotel at SPTC in his April Gallery. And TBurban could tell us about progress on aLoft Hotel at West Broad Village.

I have noticed it going up everytime I go out to Bryan Park to play Disc Golf. That hotel was raised pretty quickly. I dont know what brand its supposed to be. Im wondering what is being built where the Tropical Treehouse used to be across from the burger king at the intersection of Patterson and Parham road. I hope to god its not a check cashing place would be one of the first near me on the west end. Anyone know whats up with Staples Mill Centre?

I don't know where K-Mart is, but could you be referring to the new Westin near Broad, Glenside and I-64? There is also an Embassy Suites in that area.

Ryan has pix of the new Hilton Convention Center at Town Center West as well as the new Sierra Hotel at SPTC in his April Gallery. And TBurban could tell us about progress on aLoft Hotel at West Broad Village.

This hotel is much smaller than the Embassy Suites and Westin.

• 4 months later...

A 40-lane bowling alley in a building containing a couple of restaurants is planned off of US360 (Hull Street Road) and near Rt. 288. The site is close to Commonwealth Center.

There is also discussion of proposed development at Watkins Center.

This is from Richmondbiz Sense which picked up the story from The Chesterfield Observer.

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2009/08/28...o-chesterfield/

• 2 weeks later...

West Broad Village is having its troubles as is most every development in this economic turndown. Several potential tenants have pulled out while others are still on line. Recreation Equipment Inc. (REI) and Home Goods are on schedule for this fall and leasing activity is strong for the 339 apartments. One of the residential buildings is sold out while a second is 30% leased. Gordon Biersch Brewery has pulled out as has Books-a-Million, but Keagan's Pub will open soon on the ground level of The Aloft Hotel. The status of the planned McCormicks & Schmicks Seafood restaurant is not resolved.

Here's Lou Llovio's piece from today's RT-D:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business...4607/291752/P0/

Edited by burt

• 1 month later...

Sonic Drive-In is commencing construction of a new location on Mechanicsville Turnpike across the road from Victory Nissan. They will tear down the former Bill's Barbecue (Mattress Discounters) building, no word on when they are scheduled to open.

I think this will be Sonic's fifth location in the Richmond area in the last three years, with the most recent one opening at Washington Highway and Sliding Hill Road just north of the Henrico/Hanover line.

The added benefit to this new location is it's proximity to Lee-Davis High School, and my neighborhood.

Here's hoping Bojangles' opens a Mechanicsville store.

• 5 months later...

The planned 3,500-home development (over a period of 20 years) known as Magnolia Green faltered, but is now back on track.

Home sales have begun at the Western Chesterfield site and a 9-hole golf course will open in June.

I'm not sure of its exact location but believe it is near the suburban Richmond Zoo a few miles west of Rt. 288 off of Hull Street Road (US360.)

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business/local/article/B-MAGN07_20100406-213002/335481/

• Like 1