Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

Yea your correct burt the farm further west is going to be a new medical center its gonna be a bon secours and its right across from short pump towne center and the the other farm is gonna be a massive development.

Thanks Joey for verifying that. Have they started on the Bon Securs Medical Center?

Edited by burt

what is the scope of this medical center? I was unaware of plans for a new hospital in the west end...? If that's the case then Bon Secours is on a building spree... they just complete St. Francis Medical Center in Chesterfield.

I don't think it's a hospital. Just medical offices, clinics, labs, etc. under the Bon Securs umbrella.

Chesterfield's long dormant 1500 acre Meadowville Technology Park is readying to become a real player in the market. Last week it was announced that Northrop Grumman will be contructing a $34.6 million, 167,000 sf facility there for handling the state's IT infrastructure. The facility will have over 600 high paying tech jobs. Previously, the county was planning on it simply being a large business campus. However, it is now considering adding residential and retail components, creating a development comparable to Innsbrook in Henrico or West Creek in Goochland.

Office Park Stands By for Liftoff

Great news for Chesterfield!

Chesterfield's long dormant 1500 acre Meadowville Technology Park is readying to become a real player in the market. Last week it was announced that Northrop Grumman will be contructing a $34.6 million, 167,000 sf facility there for handling the state's IT infrastructure. The facility will have over 600 high paying tech jobs. Previously, the county was planning on it simply being a large business campus. However, it is now considering adding residential and retail components, creating a development comparable to Innsbrook in Henrico or West Creek in Goochland.

Office Park Stands By for Liftoff

Great news for Chesterfield!

At one time, not many years ago, Meadowville was being considered and studied as the potential Port of Richmond. It has deep water access, without the necessity for much dredging. and is just upstream from the confluence of the James and the Apomattox in Hopewell. That possibility should be re-explored!

It would have more space for expansion than the current port....... is it near rail access? I know that is an important factor for the current port.

I think it is close enough to rail main lines thst spurs could be extended. But I'm guessing! There is CSX ltrackage to Hopewell branching off the Ric/P'burg main line.

lol I bet VDOT would be pissed. They spent the extra money to make the Pocahontas Pkwy bridge as high as it is so vessels can travel freely beneath it :w00t:

Remember, Rocketts landing is upstream from Pocahontass Bridge. Maybe its marina will accommodate big vessels.

Besides, VDOT didn't build Pocahontas. It was privately constructed - ergo, the tolls!

Edited by burt

• 2 weeks later...

River's Bend, off Route 10 near I-295 in eastern Chesterfield, is an area that's getting hotter by the hour. A company called Redemtech which demolishes discarded computers, is setting up business in the area with 30 employees and hopes to expand its workforce to 80 soon.

Northrop Grumman as earlier reported is establishing a huge operation at near-by Meadowville. Pete Stith, Jr., deputy county Administrator for Chesterfield says the area is "going to take off like a rocket". Apparently inquiries from potential developers and business interests are pouring into Stith's office since the Northrop Grumman announcement.

Edited by burt

River's Bend, off Route 10 near I-295 in eastern Chesterfield, is an area that's getting hotter by the hour. A company called Redemtech which demolishes discarded computers, is setting up business in the area with 30 employees and hopes to expand its workforce to 80 soon.

Northrop Grumman as earlier reported is establishing a huge operation at near-by Meadowville. Pete Stith, Jr., deputy county Administrator for Chesterfield says the area is "going to take off like a rocket". Apparently inquiries from potential developers and business interests are pouring into Stith's office since the Northrop Grumman announcement.

The area may be "hot", but still not the semiconductors they were hoping land there. It's ok by me though because the semiconductor industry is just so...well, "wishy-washy". I'd much have a more stable business(es) locating there. I'm glad things are happening there. It's been due for a long time.

agreed. Chesterfield has been trying to market Meadowville (which sorely needs a name change!) for over a decade. They've finally found a partner willing to enter its uncharted waters.... now, inevitably, more business investment will follow, which is something Chesterfield has been trying to achieve for some time now. With the Meadowville/River's Bend area stepping up its game, and the cloverleaf redevelopment and Watkin's Centre, I think Chesterfield is really stepping up a notch in its attempts to become more comparable to Henrico (though it has a long way to go)... They also have other major potential opportunities in CentrePoint, Waterford, and maybe a few other places.

agreed. Chesterfield has been trying to market Meadowville (which sorely needs a name change!) for over a decade. They've finally found a partner willing to enter its uncharted waters.... now, inevitably, more business investment will follow, which is something Chesterfield has been trying to achieve for some time now. With the Meadowville/River's Bend area stepping up its game, and the cloverleaf redevelopment and Watkin's Centre, I think Chesterfield is really stepping up a notch in its attempts to become more comparable to Henrico (though it has a long way to go)... They also have other major potential opportunities in CentrePoint, Waterford, and maybe a few other places.

I also agree. Now if we can just get Chesterfield to be in favor of a good region transportation system and quit being so darn prejudice!....

hahahaa well that'll take a lot. Chesterfield's government is so freakin' stubborn.

It wouldn't take too much to implement commuter rail from certain areas in Chesterfield. Much cheaper than implentation in the west end. However, I think it needs to embrace bus service before there's even a chance of commuter rail to downtown.

hahahaa well that'll take a lot. Chesterfield's government is so freakin' stubborn.

It wouldn't take too much to implement commuter rail from certain areas in Chesterfield. Much cheaper than implentation in the west end. However, I think it needs to embrace bus service before there's even a chance of commuter rail to downtown.

Exactly! I agree 100%. They HAVE to embrace the bus system or else there will be no regional rail system through Chesterfield. It takes a good regional bus system in order to receive federal dollars to go toward a regional rail system and Chesterfield, I feel, is holding Richmond back from that! Frustrates me! Augh!!!

well at least they have the downtown express buses from western hull st corridor to the city. It's a step. I think they have buses that still go out to Chesterfield Towne Center (Lowe's parking lot)....too bad Chesterfield only let it happen because they didn't have to put up any $$$.

They need to build more greenways as well (for example, connecting the intricate trails in Brandermill, Woodlake, and elsewhere to county parks and other areas throughout the county). That's one thing the Fairfax has done a fantastic job of. On almost every road, to the side is always a wide bike/jogging path. Not only would it improve quality of life, but it could also offer healthy alternatives for people with short commutes to work. Creating something like that on a regional level would be totally awesome.

Sidewalks along other corridors would be good as well. Hopefully, as the county looks to redevelop the Eastern Midlothian corridor (with a redeveloped Cloverleaf mall property as the anchor), they will embrace new urbanism and make walkability a higher priority.

well at least they have the downtown express buses from western hull st corridor to the city. It's a step. I think they have buses that still go out to Chesterfield Towne Center (Lowe's parking lot)....too bad Chesterfield only let it happen because they didn't have to put up any $$$.

They need to build more greenways as well (for example, connecting the intricate trails in Brandermill, Woodlake, and elsewhere to county parks and other areas throughout the county). That's one thing the Fairfax has done a fantastic job of. On almost every road, to the side is always a wide bike/jogging path. Not only would it improve quality of life, but it could also offer healthy alternatives for people with short commutes to work. Creating something like that on a regional level would be totally awesome.

Sidewalks along other corridors would be good as well. Hopefully, as the county looks to redevelop the Eastern Midlothian corridor (with a redeveloped Cloverleaf mall property as the anchor), they will embrace new urbanism and make walkability a higher priority.

I agree again, but perhaps Chesterfield thinks that too much space is being taken up by sidewalks...plus they'd have to spend money to maintain them...they're so short-sighted sometimes....

By-the-way, have you heard anymore about the Cloverleaf development? I haven't heard anything in a very long time. I hope it's not going by the way side! I haven't seen any renderings either...has me concerned. They sure are taking their sweet old time with this development. It's been a few years since they announced the Cloverleaf property up for sale. I know it was sold, but nothing is moving...just wondering.

This is from early last month:

The county is working with developer Philadelphia Management and Cos. on a plan that includes tearing down the mall, built in 1972, and replacing it with a massive residential, office and retail complex. But those plans include the developer first purchasing the mall from the county. To date, that deal hasn

well, I know that all of the stores currently in the mall must be allowed to stay until their leases run out.... once that happens, we'll see more traction. I wouldn't mind that massive parking lot across the street, I mean Beaufont Mall, being redeveloped too! Talk about creating an awesome gateway for the county. There is so much potential in that area it amazes me.

well, I know that all of the stores currently in the mall must be allowed to stay until their leases run out.... once that happens, we'll see more traction. I wouldn't mind that massive parking lot across the street, I mean Beaufont Mall, being redeveloped too! Talk about creating an awesome gateway for the county. There is so much potential in that area it amazes me.

Oh, yeah! That place is a complete eyesore! I think they need to build that "twisted" tower they were once proposing (proposed on where the La Quinta currently sits) on the old BEST property. I don't know if you've ever seen that rendering, but I thought it was really cool.

haha I have actually.. Ryan has it up over on RCW. That's the same architect that made a funky building over by Willow Lawn.

I think that there is a big shopping center just west of Cloverleaf that could use the wrecking ball too... Hell, C-field could build its own downtown there if it wanted to! Not that I want it to, but there's tons of space.

haha I have actually.. Ryan has it up over on RCW. That's the same architect that made a funky building over by Willow Lawn.

I think that there is a big shopping center just west of Cloverleaf that could use the wrecking ball too... Hell, C-field could build its own downtown there if it wanted to! Not that I want it to, but there's tons of space.

Hey, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing something built there like what you are describing...something like Crystal City is to Washington DC...as long as there was a good rail transit system in place to like it to Downtown Richmond.