Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

"Mixed-use development with standalone and ground-floor retail with residential above." I suspect the residential height is probably no more than 3 or 4 stories, similar to the Element at Stonebridge that already exists.  Hilton Short Pump, with 254 rooms, is 8 floors; at 200 rooms, the Stonebridge hotel is probably two floors less.

Was in the Short Pump area as well love the Wegmans out there (and they are moving southward to NC starting this summer) Seems to be lots of growth out there.  Friday photos.   Saw the new Drive Shack.  There seemed be another like facility on I-64 or was that just a driving range or was it a TopGolf? 

IMG_5867.JPG

IMG_5868.JPG

IMG_5869.JPG

IMG_5870.JPG

IMG_5872.JPG

• Like 3

14 hours ago, KJHburg said:

this might have been the TopGolf right off I-64 as I saw the Drive Shack out in Short Pump.  Photo from friday. 

IMG_5866.JPG

Yup, that is Top Golf.  Originally they were aiming for Drive Shack's location  but this will be better.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Hike said:

Was surprised to read that the ongoing project at Regency initially had segments being considered that were 15 to 25 stories and they've scaled it back to between 8 and 9 stories.  

From the article  - We share the crowd’s concerns about the planned residential buildings and traffic impacts, which Slusher addressed in depth. The plans call for adding 1,250 apartments, although the first phase will consist of 285 units — and whether more are built depends on the market. Originally the plans called for apartment buildings as high as 200 to 250 feet, which translates into somewhere between 15 and 25 stories.  In an area of Henrico where few buildings exceed three or four stories, those soaring heights would have been grossly out of place. We were relieved to hear Slusher say that as of Wednesday night, they were changing their request to a maximum height of 120 feet — about eight or nine stories.

Link here to the RTD article

https://www.richmond.com/opinion/our-opinion/editorial-regency-reborn/article_469ba9d8-bb52-5970-90f9-5ee793f01a31.html

Wow, unfortunately I have to agree that that is out of place for the area.  8-9 will be a great fit while still being on fairly tall for the area.  Save the towers for the city :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I drove by the Akaza Hotel yesterday and thought to myself, someone needs to do something with it.  Turns out a local developer has purchased the property and will begin abatement/demolition soon.  The 5 - story portion will he raised and its pad redeveloped into an unnamed hotel. The 7 - story portion will be remodeled and turned into a La Quinta, and they are going through planning now to add a 50,000 sf office building.  Henrico recently upzoned the area to allow for a taller/denser projects and it seems to have worked. 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2019/07/17/broad-street-hotel-shuttered-slated-overhaul-new-brand/

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/17/2019 at 8:32 AM, rjp212 said:

I drove by the Akaza Hotel yesterday and thought to myself, someone needs to do something with it.  Turns out a local developer has purchased the property and will begin abatement/demolition soon.  The 5 - story portion will he raised and its pad redeveloped into an unnamed hotel. The 7 - story portion will be remodeled and turned into a La Quinta, and they are going through planning now to add a 50,000 sf office building.  Henrico recently upzoned the area to allow for a taller/denser projects and it seems to have worked. 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2019/07/17/broad-street-hotel-shuttered-slated-overhaul-new-brand/

Some renderings:

5d5710e48f2bc.image.jpg

5d5710e43467e.image.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/18/2019 at 12:26 PM, Shakman said:

While driving on West Broad Street, near the Goochland /Henrico line, I noticed ground has been broken for a new Hampton Inn.  It looked to be about 6 to 7 floors.  

17 hours ago, Brent114 said:

I was out at Wegmans Sunday and saw this at the interaction of Broad and whatever the road to Wegmans  is called...

not sure what  it is (hotel of some brand) but I love that it is right up on Broad Street (not set back). 

46F40505-1F6D-44F9-82EE-7081E5D1CFAF.jpeg

8C130001-B1F4-47C6-8389-94A5B2C63400.jpeg

This must be the Hampton Inn I was referring to in a previous post, which I have reposted above.

Edited by Shakman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Massive 800- home subdivision being proposed between Bailey Bridge Rd and Hull St.  Plans call it “mixed use” but it’ll only be some drive thru options, ie coffee shop, fast food, gas station. 

Also, this ridiculous line about how it’ll be different: “you’re able to have a true master-planned mixed-use community with some commercial nodes, hopefully a craft brewery.” ::rolls eyes::

https://richmondbizsense.com/2019/09/16/tarrington-developer-eyes-800-home-mixed-use-project-near-brandermill/

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Brent114 said:

700 units in my neck of the woods will certainly impact the schools in my area. Many of them are at/near/above capacity. There is some redistricting being done right now. I wonder if this was part of that consideration, or if it will just need to be adjusted down the road again later on.

7 minutes ago, Henrico Weather said:

700 units in my neck of the woods will certainly impact the schools in my area. Many of them are at/near/above capacity. There is some redistricting being done right now. I wonder if this was part of that consideration, or if it will just need to be adjusted down the road again later on.

The vast majority of this development is studios and one-bedrooms so I doubt it will attract too many breeders.  This will be great for the ever increasing foreign and young immigrant employees in the area.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...