Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

The suburban areas have been neglected on the dev map - i know we got a bunch more in innsbrook \ short pump and heading west into Goochland that are not mapped if anyone is looking for a project. I might try but not as familiar with the development out there.

Edited by whw53
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, whw53 said:

The suburban areas have been neglected on the dev map - i know we got a bunch more in innsbrook \ short pump and heading west into Goochland that are not mapped if anyone is looking for a project. I might try but not as familiar with the development out there.

This site is called UrbanPlanet :P

If (big IF) I ever have to go back to the office I will be able to keep up on this project.  Has anyone seen updates on the development across Nuckols at Sadler?

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Wahoo 07 said:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/02/16/highwoods-plans-34-acre-mixed-use-project-at-innsbrooks-northern-end/

More development for Innsbrook.  This area is quickly becoming a mini-satellite city of Richmond.  Bodes well for future mass transit to western Henrico.

I hope that will be a consideration moving forward. Looking at the comments to this article, there is a lot of kvetching about the problems with traffic especially during evening rush hour. If density of (and around) Innsbrook increases further, perhaps that might spur serious planning and investment in extending mass transit to that part of the county.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Wahoo 07 said:

I recall reading in an Innsbrook plan that it envisions some type of rail running from Nuckols to Broad via Cox.  Something like that feeding a BRT stop would be an excellent pairing.

That would be a good start. Honestly, if even a portion of it was going to be rail, I'd just as soon see the BRT itself converted to rail. Obviously that would be crazy expensive and actually getting anyone on board to make it happen would take something on par of the splitting of the Red Sea to pull off, but who knows what things will look like a generation from now. I just hope I'm still around to see it!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Wahoo 07 said:

Reimagined Short Pump Town Center caps off Henrico zoning code update - Richmond BizSense

Interesting article about the future of Short Pump Town Center.  Would be an improvement in my opinion.

I had to make a run to a Short Pump outparcel shopping center this past Saturday afternoon and was really surprised if not shocked at the number of cars at the Town Center.

The article says the sea of parking lots concept  has fallen out of favor, but to be honest it already had by the time SPTC was built. I recall going to Birmingham, an area of comparable size, around 2005, and its version of SPTC was nearly indistinguishable-except garages, no parking lots, and better use of space for outdoor dining and recreation. After seeing that, I came to believe, fairly or unfairly, SPTC was built on the cheap.

I like the idea of building out Brookfield but those drawings, IMO, are just awful. 
The buildings lining Broad Street  look like  Sullivan’s Island in SC. Are they going to sell t-shirts and ice cream out of them?  Why do they look like houses? 

I like the RIC and VCC plans the best.  Short Pump is just weird and Brookfield (the Broad Street and that side road part in particular) look small town and hokey. 
Brookfield should  look more like City Center in Newport News (don’t have to go far for a much better example of reimagining an office park)  than the strip at Myrtle Beach. 

Edited by Brent114
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

This is good to see. Glad some density will be coming to Chester.  Increasing density, particularly in some of the "anchor" suburban localities will help drive RVA toward a truly regional transit system that - one day - hopefully would result in some kind of light rail service throughout the metro area.

• Like 3

From the Times-Dispatch:

Stacker.com has compiled a list of the 50 best places to live in America, using Niche.com's 2020 rankings. Innsbrook and Short Pump came in #33 and #26 respectively.

https://richmond.com/lifestyles/home-and-garden/the-50-best-places-to-live-in-america/collection_8e1be90a-893c-5886-bb40-c678dffeb83b.html#49

Also - nice photo they used for Short Pump. When you consider that it was only maybe a generation or so ago that Short Pump essentially was little more than that old country store/gas station on a two-lane Broad Street Road. The bottom pic is what was used in the 50 best places article. The top photo is from the RTD archives. Even though it's not the same stretch of road or real estate - it gives a great comparison of the Short Pump that once was - and the Short Pump that is today!

Road.50be7182a7e95.image.jpg.663539e7d530debf7de91282130bdfb3.jpg 

6065c22a42af9.image.jpg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

I don’t think this had been posted yet but here is Chesterfields vision for the courthouse road and hill street intersection. Love the density, hopefully it actually gets built like this and we see other nodes pop up like this throughout the metro area. 
Plans like this at major intersections that add density could be good in encouraging chesterfield, henrico and Hanover to adopt BRT or Light rail in order to help manage their population growth. 
Rockwood-Special-Focus-Area---Draft-Apri

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

I don’t think this had been posted yet but here is Chesterfields vision for the courthouse road and hill street intersection. Love the density, hopefully it actually gets built like this and we see other nodes pop up like this throughout the metro area. 
Plans like this at major intersections that add density could be good in encouraging chesterfield, henrico and Hanover to adopt BRT or Light rail in order to help manage their population growth. 

Wow!  What is Chesterfield doing?!  This isn’t like them!  LOL!  Looks like something you’d see in Henrico!  I guess Chesterfield just got “the memo!”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

I like it!!  Let's hope this comes to pass and sparks more higher-density development like this all over the metro.