Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Brent114 said:

Pretty ballsy to plop down Virginia Beach Town Center,  label the streets Cox and Broad and call it your vision lol.

But I welcome it.  For far too long the city has been the only place of interest in the metro.  It would be nice to have another “downtown” to visit (well, in addition to Petersburg). 

Strangely enough, I also welcome it - and Green City for that matter. Not that I want in any way to "take away" from the city or from downtown. Rather I think having new satellite downtowns pop up along the burgeoning "beltway suburbs" will force the city to REALLY step up its game and take an even more progressive and aggressive approach to city development in general and downtown development in particular. I see this as Richmond on the doorstep of stepping into the big leagues - or at least moving from AA to AAA (using minor league baseball as the analogy) ... To see an Insbrook City Center  -- and a Green City -- rise will definitely shake things up in the RVA metro - and I think that will ultimately be a positive thing.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Insbrook City Center:  Is anyone aware of this even being discussed anywhere outside of the insbrookcitycenter.com website? I just stumbled across this today, courtesy of our good friends at RVA/Reddit. Apparently (according to some of the posters there) this has been discussed for several years now... ? (This is all news to me...)

I will say - this is not out of line at all with what a LOT of cities have done and are doing. Does anyone get an Atlanta-type vibe here? Especially if Green City also somehow comes to fruition... Two satellite "city centers" in the RVA suburbs...

https://innsbrookcitycenter.com/vision.html

ALSO - a concept of what it might look like in the image below. Now, I think the rendering is using buildings from Virginia Beach Town Center - right?  - BUT - it conveys the concept. Wouldn't it be SOMETHING if Virginia's tallest building isn't built in Downtown Richmond - but in one of two possible satellite "city centers" in the Richmond "beltway suburbs"?

I'm thinking if these satellite city centers actually start to rise - it will force the City of Richmond to SERIOUSLY step up its game to keep downtown ahead of the up-and-coming new "suburban downtowns". I'll say this: the City won't be able to rest on its laurels and think that downtown is far-and-away head-and-shoulders better. The city is going to have to bring it's A-game to the table if this comes to pass.

vision-img01.jpg

I'm all in favor of this and Green City as well - major metro areas do this all the time (think Atlanta, DC area/NOVA, etc.), but my question is this:  how realistic is this to happen?  I mean, looking at the date of the website, it was last updated more than 2 years ago (April 2019).  Has this idea died?...Been put on the back burner?  Why hasn't the website been updated?  Just wondering how serious this is at this point and what's the status?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I'm all in favor of this and Green City as well - major metro areas do this all the time (think Atlanta, DC area/NOVA, etc.), but my question is this:  how realistic is this to happen?  I mean, looking at the date of the website, it was last updated more than 2 years ago (April 2019).  Has this idea died?...Been put on the back burner?  Why hasn't the website been updated?  Just wondering how serious this is at this point and what's the status?

My last recollection of growth discussion was new infill at the north end,  where Friday cheers was and in filling toward 295 with a north entrance being built up. That was about 3 months ago,  maybe longer.   

2 minutes ago, Hike said:

My last recollection of growth discussion was new infill at the north end,  where Friday cheers was and in filling toward 295 with a north entrance being built up. That was about 3 months ago,  maybe longer.   

...but nothing regarding this City Center plan.  Hmmm...just has me wondering how legit this really is.  No one seems to have heard of it and the website, although still alive and well, hasn't been updated in 2 years.  I don't know...but I do like the idea.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, eandslee said:

...but nothing regarding this City Center plan.  Hmmm...just has me wondering how legit this really is.  No one seems to have heard of it and the website, although still alive and well, hasn't been updated in 2 years.  I don't know...but I do like the idea.

I think I remember when it came out, which is like you noted,  feels like years ago, and thought at the time, no way Insbrook, but felt it was a good idea.  Since then,  it's been apartments, more restaurants and the more recent north end I mentioned.  Population with growth and this could happen though, may just be a matter of time. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hike said:

I think I remember when it came out, which is like you noted,  feels like years ago, and thought at the time, no way Insbrook, but felt it was a good idea.  Since then,  it's been apartments, more restaurants and the more recent north end I mentioned.  Population with growth and this could happen though, may just be a matter of time. 

About 2 years ago, there was an article in the RTD noting opposition to building higher (or much higher) in Innsbrook than the tallest in Henrico, which is the 5100 Building at Willow Lawn (which I can see from my front door). Also, Libbie Mill once floated the idea of a 250 foot or so office building, but that ship has sailed. Someone I know who works at Gumenick says they’re happy building out with residential and maybe another scaled back office building someday perhaps.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, majors2410 said:

"A  vibrant city core is necessary for regional growth. "  This needs to be the top priority. We just had an election last year and not one candidate had a plan for the revitalization of downtown Richmond. 

I thought that the Richmond 300 Comprehension Plan was a one. The previous 4 years was focused on redevelopment of Navy Hill through the Coliseum replacement. At least, that's what I gathered from Stoney's tenure. The rest of them I wasn't too sure about.

Edited by DalWill

1 hour ago, flaneur said:

Richmond as a region actually has a very vibrant city core that will continue to get better. Downtown itself still lacks a lot of 24-7 activity, but it and the immediate neighborhoods around it, and the river, have really improved in the last decade. Richmond too often in its past has sought the big, grand, "downtown savior" project and we know those things do not work, and often they make it worse and make the downtown focus on single use activities such as entertainment, shopping, etc. Rather, it's the whole fabric....residential, streets that don't just cater to cars going in and out for work commutes, commercial, parks, art, etc., that all add up to a compelling experience throughout the day and during both work week and weekend. I've brought so many people from out of town who had almost no mental perception of Richmond, and every single one has expressed how incredibly surprised they were and how the city is much cooler than they anticipated and how it has so much potential. Every time I come home I walk all over downtown, the river, and hit the neighborhoods around it, and it just keeps getting better and better. 

I was reading this over on reddit earlier today and this guys description from a recent stay in Richmond echos your thoughts above. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/rva/comments/nfk2jk/just_spent_the_weekend_in_rva_here_are_my/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

• Like 4

Not to be outdone, Chesterfield is teeing up another development - nearly 1,200 residential units, retail, a hotel, etc. near Clover Hill High School.  From Richmond BizSense.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/05/19/surf-pool-anchored-development-the-lake-to-grow-by-400-residential-units/

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/05/27/210-townhomes-planned-for-westchester-commons-shopping-center/
Chesterfield continues to add density to Westchester Commons.

Love this move by Chesterfield in encouraging apartments and townhomes on underused parking lots in shopping centers. Helps not just the urban design of the centers but also increases tax revenue for the county. Glad to see Chesterfield beginning to embrace more urban style development concepts. Hopefully we start seeing more and more shopping centers in the Richmond area that are underutilized be redeveloped into dense, mixed use centers.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

Hopefully we start seeing more and more shopping centers in the Richmond area that are underutilized be redeveloped into dense, mixed use centers.

So much of West Broad could be redeveloped like this.  Peachtree Road RVA!

• Like 1