Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

42 minutes ago, skinsfan said:

Yeah . I’m not a fan.  They incorporate more unnecessary stoplights which I feel hurts traffic flow. If they would incorporate a right on red, than maybe.  I’m a fan of the traditional cloverleaf. 

The problem is cloverleafs take up an enormous amount of space and do not mesh well with any traffic other than vehicular.  DDIs have also been proven to actually have better traffic flow due to less points of conflict (no merge mess), at least outside of closed-highway interchanges.  A proper DDI has slip lanes to allow non-stop flow for right turning traffic off of the ramps, but for some reason our closest example at Zion's Crossing does not include this feature.

• Like 1

Big project already underway across I-95 from Green City -- and not the first blade of dirt has yet been turned for Green City, and already the county has a really nice, relatively high-density (600 units) residential project UNDERWAY!!

From Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/02/10/project-snapshot-hundreds-of-homes-rising-along-i-95-near-greencity-site/

ReTreat-aerial.jpg

ReTreat-at-One-1-2048x1314.jpg

ReTreat-at-One-2-2048x1536.jpeg

ReTreat-at-One-3-2048x1536.jpg

ReTreat-Map.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shakman said:

I wouldn't consider townhomes as dense development.  This can stay in the burbs.

Relative to single-fam/detached cookie-cutter houses on cul du sacs with ample front/back yards, lots of trees, etc. - it shakes out as higher density. Townhomes pack a bit more of a punch in a tighter area.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Funny how history makes a full circle.  I remember back in the mid 1990s when Motorola planned a big semiconductor plant out at West Creek, which was to be a game changer for the area.  It never happened.  White Oak had a plant that finally closed it doors in 2009 and here we are again...needing microchips and Henrico is ready to go!  Could we see a new semiconductor in the Richmond area pretty soon?  I'm pasting this link to Reddit which has the RTD pasted in the comments section.  Pretty interesting read:

https://www.reddit.com/r/rva/comments/std8w7/were_ready_henrico_poised_as_white_house_pushes/

I'm trying to remember why the whole Motorola/West Creek plant development went nowhere. I recall that Motorola was the manufacturer of the cpu chips (I think they also made the dedicated graphics chips as well) that drove the Commodore Amiga line of home computers, but that line of products had pretty much failed by the mid '90s, certainly in North America. It was still popular in Europe, but even then, sales flagged and eventually a German tech firm snapped everything up and as a computer line, it all pretty much withered away into oblivion.

Edited by I miss RVA

1 hour ago, Downtowner said:

Also rbs reported shake shack bringing first Richmond area location on broad street where the old Applebees is near willow lawn. I’m super excited about it as is my wife. Been to one In nyc. Super good. They better build a massive one with how many people are about to go to that place. 

YUM!!! :tw_yum:

13 hours ago, Downtowner said:

Also rbs reported shake shack bringing first Richmond area location on broad street where the old Applebees is near willow lawn. I’m super excited about it as is my wife. Been to one In nyc. Super good. They better build a massive one with how many people are about to go to that place. 

Yes!!!  

On 2/18/2022 at 9:44 PM, Downtowner said:

Wasn't there a Shake Shack in White Oak Shopping Center or am I mixing up similar names?

EDIT: I was thinking of Steak & Shake.  Apparently they opened one last Fall in VCU's Commons.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Thanks for the pic!  Seems small though, given the amount of land this facility is supposed to be using.  Surely there are other parts of this warehouse not shown in the photo, correct?

It looks like a lot of the land is lost in order to level such a large footprint on uneven terrain.  That still looks like a huge building.

image.thumb.png.acbed35c74d6aeab786a3ccd09f0d7a9.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, eandslee said:

Thanks for the pic!  Seems small though, given the amount of land this facility is supposed to be using.  Surely there are other parts of this warehouse not shown in the photo, correct?

Haven’t personally seen this one but the robotics facility in Suffolk is absolutely massive. This picture does not give the size any justice. Zoom in and see how tiny the construction equipment looks next to this behemoth. 

• Like 3