Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

Before I fall asleep here very shortly just wanted to point out that I saw on the RTD website that Walgreens is bringing a micro distribution center to the atlee area of Hanover creating 249 jobs. Warehouse sector is very active here. Also anyone have an update on the wegmans distribution center not much info on that lately?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Downtowner said:

Before I fall asleep here very shortly just wanted to point out that I saw on the RTD website that Walgreens is bringing a micro distribution center to the atlee area of Hanover creating 249 jobs. Warehouse sector is very active here. Also anyone have an update on the wegmans distribution center not much info on that lately?

I wonder if this is the one visible on 295 near the railroad bridge.   

• Like 1

Looks better than the first drawings of this redevelopment. (the ones that made it look like a tourist souvenir strip).

I don’t understand why they would destroy the existing Life of Virginia errr Genworth building.  And then replace it with a smaller/shorter  building. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rjp212 said:

Some renderings from Baskervill that I hadn't seen of Genworth Redevelopment.  https://www.baskervill.com/project/brookfield-campus-master-plan/

image.thumb.png.ea18852eb2f8fc06c6eecb945d8a339e.png

Love that "main street." Even if the suburbs can't be completely walkable we at least need some more islands of walkability, like West Broad Village, Libbie Mill, etc. Not just acres of open surface lots.

Edited by 123fakestreet
  • Like 3

Lennar has entered the RVA market, with a fairly splashy buy-in to the Harpers Mill project out in the  Winterpock area, well past 288, south of 360. Not the more modern "urbanized" kind of suburban development - rather a more traditional cul de sac, single-fam home RVA suburban style project, it's still a fairly sizeable project and according to the RBS article, getting Lennar into the local market is a big deal.

From Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/03/08/national-homebuilder-lennar-buys-into-harpers-mill-with-25m-land-deal/

Lennar-Harpers-Mill-2.jpg

Screenshot (969).png

Screenshot (970).png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RiverYuppy said:

It looks like they're finally breaking ground on the Henrico Plaza development.

I'm hoping this will prompt a bit more development on the Henrico side of Mechanicsville Turnpike, as opposed to the Hanover side.  Right now many people on the north and east of the city are hit with driving pretty far from the city (or to the other side of the city) to get to something like a Publix, Target, Golds/Crunch gym, Best Buy, etc.  

I think many of these would be great in the Diamond area, but for the ones that we aren't going to get by with limited parking, it would be nice if they went close to everyone on Mechanicsville Turnpike near the city.  It is super close to Church Hill, Shockoe, Highland/Brookland Park, etc. 

This reminds me I have a picture of this.  I can capture more today.

E0DC1B5B-51B8-4722-BAE7-6D66335CE4F3.jpeg

A68CD96E-E1BF-4A99-9F5E-C8B3A1B09B43.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We now return to our regularly-scheduled suburban sprawl, already in progress...

Looks like a new subdivision is set to get underway near Wyndham Forest.

From Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/03/15/6-6m-deal-clears-way-for-75-homes-on-horse-stables-site-near-wyndham-forest/

Screenshot (997).png

Screenshot (996).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, eandslee said:

More information on Chesterfield's Spring Rock Green development.  Developer is selected.  Demolition occurs later this summer and the first installment will be a 6-story, 300 apartment building with ground floor retail.  Ice rinks and other components of the development will come in subsequent phases.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/03/22/chesterfield-picks-developer-for-first-piece-of-spring-rock-green-revamp/

Good start to that project! Really nice renderings in today's RBS.

springrockdev1-2048x1152.jpg

springrockdev2.png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Some density is coming to the near northern suburbs in the 9000 block of Brook Road (between Parham and I-295) on the site of the former Knights Inn motel.. Glad to see these kinds of projects starting to take root there. Great quote in the article - demonstrating that the development is spurred, in part, by the anticipated coming of Green City. VERY interesting, when you stop to think about it.

From RBS:

"Jason Pfister, Middleburg’s vice president for land entitlements, said the company was drawn to the Knights Inn site due in large part to GreenCity, the $2.3 billion arena-anchored development in the works across Interstate 95 from the Brook Road corridor. The Magellan Parkway extension will connect those two projects and lead right to the Knights Inn site, Pfister noted.

“We were very interested in that part of town, particularly with GreenCity coming,” Pfister said. “It’s an area that’s kind of flagged for revitalization, so our site acquisition guys located this site and we’ve been able to work with the owner of the Knights Inn to redevelop the property.”

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/04/05/300-unit-residential-complex-planned-to-replace-knights-inn-on-brook-road/

KnightsInnAptsElevation.jpg

KnightsInnAptsSitePlan.jpg

Screenshot (1113).png

• Like 4