Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

31 minutes ago, rancenc said:

Thanks for the heads up on this.  Sounds like a good thing, but there are no details on a HQ office, number of employees, etc.  I have a feeling this is a small insurance company just starting here.  So, likely zero employees and no office as of yet...and when they choose a place, it will likely be the size of my house.  While this sort of company is welcomed...we need the big boys to show up and move to the Richmond area...even better would be a move downtown!

Okay, looks like a global company, but still not many details on their website:

https://www.hamiltongroup.com/

Edited by eandslee

15 hours ago, eandslee said:

Thanks for the heads up on this.  Sounds like a good thing, but there are no details on a HQ office, number of employees, etc.  I have a feeling this is a small insurance company just starting here.  So, likely zero employees and no office as of yet...and when they choose a place, it will likely be the size of my house.  While this sort of company is welcomed...we need the big boys to show up and move to the Richmond area...even better would be a move downtown!

Looks like their office is at Liberty I in Innsbrook.  Based on available office space and other tenants on their floor, I would estimate they have 5,000 - 12,000 SF.

4701 Cox Road
Suite 200, Glen Allen, VA 23060

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Icetera said:

Looks like their office is at Liberty I in Innsbrook.  Based on available office space and other tenants on their floor, I would estimate they have 5,000 - 12,000 SF.

4701 Cox Road
Suite 200, Glen Allen, VA 23060

I know the general contractor that is in charge of the project I’m on is in that building too. Brinkmann constructors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wahoo 07 said:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/04/07/grove-avenue-infill-to-add-townhomes-across-from-mary-munford-elementary/

Small infill on Grove Ave in the near west end.  Nothing too splashy but it adds density.

Nice to see something like this in the near West End -- adds some density and is a nice little counterpart to the great uptick in development and density going on in Westhampton (Libbie and Grove area).

Of COURSE - the armchair architectural critics are holding court in the commentary section of RBS. 

Something interesting of note in the article:

"The project adds to other infills popping up in the West End. Farther west, New York-based developer Urban Generation Living is planning 26 condos in place of an office building at 417-419 Libbie Ave. The City Council approved that project last week."

GroveAveTHs1-2048x1536.jpg

GroveAveTHsRendering2.jpg

Screenshot (1117).png

18 hours ago, eandslee said:

Hamilton is a decent sized player in Bermuda, this is part of their US expansion. $415k investment in the HQ, 6500 sqft office with plans to grow, 70 jobs with average salary of $157k/year

https://richmond.com/business/insurance-company-plans-headquarters-office-in-henrico-with-70-jobs/article_1f890b68-49d0-599f-b607-58552d09376e.html

Edited by 123fakestreet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Richmond has a pretty decent specialty insurer cluster... Kinsale, James River, Markel, etc

https://www.grpva.com/blog/2021/08/06/greater-richmond-a-safe-spot-for-specialty-insurance/

Curious: what are the chances that insurance could be one of those 'niche' industries that could turn RVA into somewhat of an 'insurance capital' -- meaning being the home city for a large number of insurance companies? I know there are other cities that are HQ locations for various insurance companies - but I do wonder if this could be one of those niche markets for RVA?

Edited by I miss RVA

13 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Curious: what are the chances that insurance could be one of those 'niche' industries that could turn RVA into somewhat of an 'insurance capital' -- meaning being the home city for a large number of insurance companies? I know there are other cities that are HQ locations for various insurance companies - but I do wonder if this could be one of those niche markets for RVA?

It already is to some degree.  Markel, Elephant, and James River are big presences.  Some other mid sized ones Kinsale, ASL, Berkley, national companies also have offices here like Progressive, Travelers, Allianz, Sentry,  Hanover, Genworth.  There's a decent sized agent presence here too, HRH was pretty big (bought out by Willis several years ago).  Thing is I'm not sure what can be done to draw more, the ones here are just kind of out of coincidence, not like some favorable regulations drew them or anything.  Once it gets to a certain point others may locate here because there's an existing talent pool of people they can hire away from other companies, that's the only thing I can think of.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An small (but always welcome) uptick in density is coming to an old apartment complex north of the Regency Square redevelopment: Gateway Apartments on Parham Road are being renovated - AND - a NEW five-story apartment building will be added to the complex, replacing some existing apartments. The net gain will be an additional 60 apartments (loss of 20 old units, construction of 80 new units). The new building will include 15,000 sq ft of "light commercial"/retail space.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/04/13/siblings-renovating-apartments-adding-building-near-regency/

GatewayAptsBldg1.jpg

Gateway-Schwartz-1-3-2048x1536.jpg

Screenshot (1166).png

• Like 3

9 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

An small (but always welcome) uptick in density is coming to an old apartment complex north of the Regency Square redevelopment: Gateway Apartments on Parham Road are being renovated - AND - a NEW five-story apartment building will be added to the complex, replacing some existing apartments. The net gain will be an additional 60 apartments (loss of 20 old units, construction of 80 new units). The new building will include 15,000 sq ft of "light commercial"/retail space.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/04/13/siblings-renovating-apartments-adding-building-near-regency/

GatewayAptsBldg1.jpg

Gateway-Schwartz-1-3-2048x1536.jpg

Screenshot (1166).png

This is literally right up the road from me. I’m just past parham and three chopt and the next stop light after parham and three chopt. I’ve noticed them getting started on this. These have been looking shoddy for a long time. Id also love to see them to some redevelopment of the the cloisters as well looks very much like a dump down that way between the gateway apartments and the cloisters. Notice quite a bit of small crime from those two complexes from my ring doorbell reports. 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 6:49 AM, Downtowner said:

This is literally right up the road from me. I’m just past parham and three chopt and the next stop light after parham and three chopt. I’ve noticed them getting started on this. These have been looking shoddy for a long time. Id also love to see them to some redevelopment of the the cloisters as well looks very much like a dump down that way between the gateway apartments and the cloisters. Notice quite a bit of small crime from those two complexes from my ring doorbell reports. 

I hear you, I really do. I love high density and new development. But, I really feel for the residents there. I grew up in that area (in the worst one of all the complexes there) and it was a godsend. Were there problems? Yes, but as kids none of that really mattered and it never steered us in any direction but forward with the solid school system there. Even when my family bought a house I still came back to those apartments to hang with friends and play at the playgrounds, basketball, volleyball, pool, etc. 

I know it's easy to say "lots of crime there... that area needs to get better" but I and others who grew up there have countless wonderful memories there. Hate for some bad apples to spoil the bunch. 

I hope all those apartments can somehow stay affordable because having lower income families in that area of Henrico is a serious life saver literally. I am (and countless others) "successful" today directly because we were in the Henrico school system. Problems at home, lack of opportunity, and anything else that being low income brings were neutralized by the Henrico County Public School system.

I have/had plenty of friends who grew up in a similar situation as my family but they were placed by the government housing in the highland springs highschool school district and, to be blunt, the difference between our education is night and day. That translated to the rest of our adult lives.

Nothingham green, Cloisters, and the other apartment complexes in the heart of the west end are wonderful opportunity zones. Breaks my heart to think kids won't have the education like I did because the area got too expensive for them. 

Edited by ancientcarpenter
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, ancientcarpenter said:

I hear you, I really do. I love high density and new development. But, I really feel for the residents there. I grew up in that area (in the worst one of all the complexes there) and it was a godsend. Were there problems? Yes, but as kids none of that really mattered and it never steered us in any direction but forward with the solid school system there. Even when my family bought a house I still came back to those apartments to hang with friends and play at the playgrounds, basketball, volleyball, pool, etc. 

I know it's easy to say "lots of crime there... that area needs to get better" but I and others who grew up there have countless wonderful memories there. Hate for some bad apples to spoil the bunch. 

I hope all those apartments can somehow stay affordable because having lower income families in that area of Henrico is a serious life saver literally. I am (and countless others) "successful" today directly because we were in the Henrico school system. Problems at home, lack of opportunity, and anything else that being low income brings were neutralized by the Henrico County Public School system.

I have/had plenty of friends who grew up in a similar situation as my family but they were placed by the government housing in the highland springs highschool school district and, to be blunt, the difference between our education is night and day. That translated to the rest of our adult lives.

Nothingham green, Cloisters, and the other apartment complexes in the heart of the west end are wonderful opportunity zones. Breaks my heart to think kids won't have the education like I did because the area got too expensive for them. 

Yeah I hate to see the bad apples ruin it for the ones trying to do good and get ahead. I went to tuckahoe middle and freeman which those are zoned for. I graduated high school in 2007 and have seen the impact it has. A guy I graduated with grew up in those. Ended up owning his owning landscape business and is really growing well has a wife and two children now and has achieved the American dream of moving upward. I’ve seen the impact they have had. Nottingham green used to be maybe still is is all Bosnian immigrants from the Yugoslavian war. There is a very large Bosnian population at Douglas freeman high. A lot of them a really doing well in the world too. Many have great jobs now and are traveling the world. One who I graduated with is a director of some sort for sentara health and happy to see him doing well. I just hate to see the bad apples who would make it impossible for them to stay on this side of henrico and be forced to east end. I’ve said that new highland springs school is as needed but it doesn’t make the kid succeeded however it does give the kid way more resources but the children have to be able to put forth the effort to make it. I’ve heard bad stories of how bad Huguenot high has been since they rebuilt it. I heard that school is already falling apart I’m worried same will happen with George wythe. I hope not but until the kids and parents put effort into there future and community you can build all the new schools you want but everyone has to put the effort in to keep it nice and successful. 

• Like 1

The as-of-yet not built Powhite extension deep into the southwest suburbs is already developing into a corridor along the proposed route. Methinks the state might be well advised to start laying down some budget lines toward getting the expressway extension built out there because real estate development in that part of Chesterfield is ready to start popping.

From Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/04/18/proposed-tech-park-near-moseley-heads-to-chesterfield-planning-commission/

uppermag2-002-700x510.png

uppermag1-002-700x522.png

• Like 1

As someone from the area, I can tell you that the NIMBYs are going BANANAS over this. Anything that gets built out there causes a firestorm that makes the NIMBYs in the city look somewhat reasonable. Hopefully this gets through in order to provide a border between the rural areas in Amelia and the fast growing suburbs of western chesterfield but I don’t see any industrial zoning being approved in the western part of chesterfield at any point in the future.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Would love to see them put a microchip/semiconductor plant out there.  This sort of thing has been the talk for the past month or so in the news and I think Chesterfield is working to position itself as an excellent location for one.  I hope this passes.  The Richmond region could use a manufacturing facility like this...that or some car manufacturer (Tesla? :)).  I think if we can land one of those, it would be huge!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Would love to see them put a microchip/semiconductor plant out there.  This sort of thing has been the talk for the past month or so in the news and I think Chesterfield is working to position itself as an excellent location for one.  I hope this passes.  The Richmond region could use a manufacturing facility like this...that or some car manufacturer (Tesla? :)).  I think if we can land one of those, it would be huge!

AMEN to that!

3 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

As someone from the area, I can tell you that the NIMBYs are going BANANAS over this. Anything that gets built out there causes a firestorm that makes the NIMBYs in the city look somewhat reasonable. Hopefully this gets through in order to provide a border between the rural areas in Amelia and the fast growing suburbs of western chesterfield but I don’t see any industrial zoning being approved in the western part of chesterfield at any point in the future.

Was just out there last week, and there’s a legit bumper sticker campaign against.

• Sad 2

Some nice density coming to the Rockwood area along Hull Street Road inside the 288 beltway with 322 condominiums and townhomes slated to replace the aging Rockwood Square shopping center. Looks like this is the first of perhaps multiple projects that will be built in the much larger overall district of the Rockwood Special Focus Area Plan.

Given the recent spate of announcements from northern Henrico and this part of Chesterfield, it's clear that the northern and southwest suburbs are rolling full steam ahead.

From Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/04/19/rockwood-shopping-center-and-golf-park-pitched-for-hundreds-of-residential-units/

rockwood1-003-700x492.png

2.18R-Rockwood.png

Screenshot (1225).png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

More cul du sacs coming to the fast-growing area well west of the 288 beltway - this time on Otterdale Road west of Woodlake. A 200-home development aimed at the 55-plus crowd (hey, that's ME!! :tw_smiley:) -- and it's not much more than a mile away from a 307-home development on Genito Road just west of Otterdale. All of this is east of the proposed corridor for the Powhite Parkway extension to Hull Street Road.

I'm not sayin'... I'm just sayin' ... the state had better light a fire under someone's tuchus when it comes to parsing out funding for state road projects and get that expressway extension built. This announcement makes the fourth for fairly large-scale developments to take place in that area - and in some cases developers have stated openly that they are planting their flags there in anticipation of the expressway being built there. Methinks its time to get that highway built.

Either way - glad to see yet another nice "infill" project bringing more residents to that part of the southwest suburbs.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/04/27/homebuilder-plans-200-lot-subdivision-on-100-acre-site-off-otterdale-road/

EagleColdCreekSitePlan.jpg

Screenshot (1326).png

Screenshot (1327).png

• Like 1