Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

22 minutes ago, Child2021 said:

Excellent news! Glad to see these hits just keep on coming!

Interesting - the publication seems to think RVA is in NOVA, based on the opening sentence of the article. 

6 hours ago, Child2021 said:

This is great news!  Hope to see many more data centers being built and open up in Eastern Henrico!  With QTS right there, there should be a ton of them in Henrico - more than NOVA!

• Like 1

Dominion's $100M upgrade of their Innsbrook tech center is rolling ahead full steam. Good to see expansion of commercial development in an older suburban development that's being retrofitted with a tremendous amount of residential development. That kind of mix is good for the area.

From Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/05/05/dominion-energy-midway-through-upgrade-of-innsbrook-tech-center/

From the RBS article - they referenced the RFP for the downtown block next to the Dominion Tower on Canal Street (site of the former OJRP) - has anyone heard any rumblings on where that process is? I know it just got started so it's probably way too soo to know something. I keep praying that it will net us some epic downtown development over the next couple of years.

• Like 3

VCU Health is anchoring a nice-looking mixed-use development in Chester - just southeast of the 288/Iron Bridge Road interchange. VCU Health will build an outpatient facility as part of the development - no question something that's much needed and will be of great benefit in this part of the south suburbs. The project will include a 110-room hotel, 300 apartments, 100 townhomes/condos and 115K of self-storage space.

This project has been on the table for a couple of years now - glad to see that it looks to be moving forward.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/05/09/vcu-health-plans-outpatient-facility-at-courthouse-landing-development/

courthouse1.png

It’s not exciting but it’s definitely a growth industry.

My wife, whose career is working with elderly populations, does not like when these are locate directly on a main thoroughfare. Too many risk in the (very unlikely) event a memory care patient leaves unsupervised. There’s one south of the river that is very close to a major road. At any rate,  this one seems to be set back a fair distance.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DowntownCoruscant said:

It’s not exciting but it’s definitely a growth industry.

My wife, whose career is working with elderly populations, does not like when these are locate directly on a main thoroughfare. Too many risk in the (very unlikely) event a memory care patient leaves unsupervised. There’s one south of the river that is very close to a major road. At any rate,  this one seems to be set back a fair distance.

She's spot on. It wouldn't take much for a patient whose mental faculties are long-since a thing of the past to wander off - and God-forbid said individual and a four-lane thoroughfare have any interaction under those circumstances. That's a very scary situation. I hope and pray this facility has sufficient precautions and protections to prevent anything unforeseen from happening.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Assisted living faclity coming to the 9300 block of Patterson Avenue.

From Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/05/13/once-controversial-patterson-ave-site-planned-for-assisted-living-facility/

BuildSeniorLiving1.jpg

Screenshot (1610).png

BuildSeniorLiving2a.jpg

this is the road I grew up off of. I lived on maybeury drive from 4 years old all the way to when my wife and I got married. I moved in and out of my parents off on when rent got too high for me. I’m so glad they are finally adding. Right turn lane on maybeury I hate sitting at that light trying to turn left or go straight and people Ate trying to creep around you almost about to hit you.  I’m honestly wondering if this will pass. My neighborhood fights anything but lost to Grayson hall that gumenick did. So I’m hoping same for this one they were worried about child molestors with the last proposal being so close to the school. All they were were like cottage sized houses for older people then too.  But they we’re worried about it being right up against maybeury elementary 

Edited by Downtowner
  • Like 1

Bon Securs is opening a new emergency care center in Chester. Recall, just over a week ago, VCU Health announced it's building an outpatient facility in Chester as well.  Nice additions for that part of the south suburbs.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/05/17/bon-secours-preparing-to-open-chester-emergency-center/

• Like 1

The Chesterfield board approved the zoning request for the big Magnolia Green tech park (and residential plus mixed use) project(s) deep in the southwest suburbs along the proposed corridor of the Powhite Parkway extension. (We've had this story in this thread previously). As noted in the comments section, folks are clammoring for the expressway to be extended, particularly now in light of the fact that this part of the county is starting to gain density, both residential and now business. One would imagine that the county perhaps should step up efforts to get the state to move the needle to get the extension built, because this part of the county is about to explode with development.

Latest reporting from Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/05/27/chesterfield-supervisors-approve-zoning-for-upper-magnolia-green-tech-park/

uppermag2.png

uppermag1-002.png

This area of chesterfield is gonna be exploding even more with construction than it already is. With the Powhite extension and this whole project, plus the existing projects occurring at Centerpointe, the development going in behind Westchester commons, Rountrey and the Woolridge Road extension and widening between Genito and 288,  there will be a never ending stream of construction dump trucks for the next decade! I do wish Chesterfield would atleast attempt to try reigning in sprawl and adding density to derelict shopping centers that pepper the inner areas of the county.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blopp1234 said:

This area of chesterfield is gonna be exploding even more with construction than it already is. With the Powhite extension and this whole project, plus the existing projects occurring at Centerpointe, the development going in behind Westchester commons, Rountrey and the Woolridge Road extension and widening between Genito and 288,  there will be a never ending stream of construction dump trucks for the next decade! I do wish Chesterfield would atleast attempt to try reigning in sprawl and adding density to derelict shopping centers that pepper the inner areas of the county.

1.) dump trucks - ohhhh yeah. This is true. Between highway construction and project construction - and endless parade of dump trucks and lots N lots N lots of big yellow dirt movers, excavaters, scoopers, bulldozers... live action Tonka Toys for adults! :tw_smiley:

2.) AMEN to that! Fully agreed - density is a must. It seems like this is starting to take root in the more inner suburbs. It'll be interesting to see how the county approaches this in the coming years.

1 hour ago, blopp1234 said:

I do wish Chesterfield would atleast attempt to try reigning in sprawl and adding density to derelict shopping centers that pepper the inner areas of the county.

This is occurring on Hull at both Chippenham and Courthouse.  I imagine more to follow.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DowntownCoruscant said:

Chesterfield commissioned a study in early 2000 that concluded “Big Powhite”  (extend to 360) wouldn’t be a substantial improvement over “Little Powhite” (extend to Genito). Guess that changes if you create extra demand.

Good point. The demand is there - and it's really brewing these days. At some point, it'll be akin to a boiling tea kettle - and the county would do well to get "Big Powhite" extension built - because the development is going hot and heavy all along that corridor - and we can only imagine how much will be in place by the time the extension is actually built. What's the over-under on how long it would actually take to build out an extension of that length - at least two years, start-to-finish, yes?

We may have had something on this previously - but the county approved this project, so it's going forward. More density coming to the southwest suburbs - developers are planning to replace the Rockwood Square Shopping Center off Hull Street Road (at Courthouse Road) with a condominium complex -- 322 units in total - 236 condos and 86 condos. It's a pretty compact project from the standpoint of footprint - so I'm thinking it will have a nice, tight design to it. Board of Supervisors approved this last night.

From Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/06/02/chesterfield-oks-plan-to-redevelop-rockwood-square-shopping-center/

Rockwood-planning2.png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1