Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

30 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Cool video of the work underway. As I watched the crews pouring and leveling/smoothing the concrete, I had one thought: Those guys certainly don't want to get stuck standing around on the job! :tw_wink:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, upzoningisgood said:

@Downtowner First thing that jumped out to me when I started development is how hard construction is. There’s a ridiculous amount of stuff to know.  

Yes you really have to stay on your toes. Things change all the time and all sub contractors have to communicate to each other along with the general contractor. It’s a lot to keep on your toes but I love it and wouldn’t change anything that I am doing as far as who I work for. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Shakman said:

You guys are all correct.  I'm involved with QAQC on construction sites.  It's no simple task though the reward of accomplishment is the best feeling.

Absolutely 100 percent. Knowing you helped build something that will stand for years upon years is an awesome feeling once it’s all said and done.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Child2021 said:

Lego to build $1B factory in Chesterfield - Virginia Business

@I miss RVA Here's to what you were recently talking about!

Home run, @Child2021-- and yes, EXACTLY what I was talking about. THIS is more like it - 1,760 jobs, all in one shot. THAT's what we need. Mind you, while I'm thrilled that many locals will benefit from said new jobs, I do hope that this nice uptick in jobs will bring new residents in from points unknown, which is what big corporate relos do. Then again, a heaping helping of manufacturing jobs with a new facility from an out-of-state company can do the same thing.

This is indeed great news!

26 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

Love it.  It isn't as sexy as Apple but I love that such a well known international brand is making this huge investment here. 

100% agreed, my friend! This is a real win for the RVA market. :tw_thumbsup:

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, 123fakestreet said:

Yep, not by themselves, but there are already existing local companies that have fairly heavy travel back and forth to Europe.

Synergy is a good thing, particularly when it comes to things like this. Let's hope the synergy for a Euro-connection really builds!

• Like 2

A few more renderings of the Lego plant -- and the location -- published in today's Richmond BizSense:

Honestly - for as much as I kvetch about RVA lagging behind other cities and metros that, whether we want to concede this point or not, ARE IN DIRECT COMPETITION FOR ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT, this Legos announcement is EXTREMELY exciting news. This could be an EPIC game-changer for RVA, given what could transpire down the road. Again, combined with CoStar's plans to bring at least 2,000 new jobs to the city - we are gaining just shy of 4,000 new jobs. THAT is a much-needed needle-mover, in my view.

lego3.png

lego2-scaled.jpg

lego4.jpg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

Nice additional story by WRIC on how/why Lego chose RVA and the specific Chesterfield site for their new plant.

Gents - the more I let this Lego announcement sink in, the more excited I get because this -- Lego coming to metro RVA -- is not merely "big" -- this is HUGE in ways we will see in the coming years as, hopefully, Lego becomes integrated more and more into the metro RVA community and we get the ancillary benefits of, perhaps, a LegoLand Museum among MANY other things - NOT TO OVERLOOK THE FACT THAT METRO RVA WILL BE HOME TO THE ONLY LEGO FACTORY IN THE UNITED STATES!!!  With THAT said - I hope and PRAY the city, the city's business leaders, the metro business leaders AND THE STATE all work at whatever pace is necessary to eventually pry Lego's US HQ from Connecticut and bring it to Richmond. Preferably downtown. Or even maybe to the Diamond District. Mind you - as much as we want an epic signature skyscraper - even if they build something of reasonable size (hoping they bring a TON of jobs here if the HQ were to ever move) -- perhaps some clever architects could design a high rise that looks like it's made from Lego blocks. I'm being serious - it could be a VERY iconic building for a VERY iconic company were said company to choose to make RVA it's home for the entire U.S. operations - both corporate AND manufacturing. As much as I'd love to see a Lego HQ building downtown - can you imagine if it was a "centerpiece" tower in the Diamond District? Imagine attending a Squirrel's game - and seeing the Lego Tower rising up at some point in the not-all-that-distant distance when looking out over left-center field. HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE?

https://www.wric.com/news/local-news/chesterfield-county/why-lego-chose-chesterfield-county-for-its-first-american-factory/?ipid=promo-link-block1

• Like 4