Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

Here's hoping they do move their HQ here! While the preference would be for them to come to the city, it would be a huge win for them to relo to metro RVA. No knock on Hopewell or the Tri-Cities - but my hope would be if they don't settle actually in Richmond city proper that they at least build CLOSE enough to the city that the connection is super strong - and that they list their HQ address as "Richmond" (versus another locality name like "Hopewell").

Obviously, even if they did build in the Tri-Cities, everyone would know that it's in the Richmond suburbs. As you said, regardless of actual location, it would be a big win to get their HQ here and no doubt would be a big driver in growth of both jobs and population.

Edited by I miss RVA

12 hours ago, eandslee said:

Actually, this article leaves it open as a possibility!

Very much so. It totally makes sense that the Connecticut governor would state publicly that he has assurances from LEGO senior leadership that the company will maintain the office in Enfield. AND it makes sense that LEGO's senior execs would say that to state officials. And that's no doubt their intent. 

For now.

Things can change. Life isn't static. The UConn economics professor spoke well. From the CBS6 story:

"Fred Carstensen, a professor of finance and economics at the University of Connecticut, told Hearst: “They better be worried,” Carstensen said of state officials. 'Physical proximity of a headquarters to manufacturing facilities is definitely a factor companies consider.'”

Time will bear this out. I wouldn't expect LEGO to uproot their HQ anytime "soon" -- but once the factory is up and running - and once the company has a solid relationship established with RVA and the Commonwealth of Virginia, I think we could potentially see movement. Let's see where things are closer to a decade from now. I'd suggest that both the city, the metro business leadership AND particularly the state government and business leadership do EVERYTHING POSSIBLE to incentivize LEGO to follow the factory with their HQ to RVA. Even though I think @upzoningisgoodis correct that the chances of LEGO putting their offices IN THE CITY PROPER were they to move to metro RVA are fairly slim, it STILL behooves the city to make EVERY EFFORT POSSIBLE to not just lure them to uproot and move here - but to actually seriously consider building the HQ offices in the city proper. If leadership in the city are smart, they will have already reached out and begun forging a solid relationship with LEGO. Get LEGO to look at RVA as their "home town" (the "RVA is the Best City Ever" photo is already a FANTASTIC start!!)

I look at it this way - never say never. We have a shot - and a pretty good one at that. Much more than "a puncher's chance" so to speak. RVA and the state both need to play the cards right and really work this.

Let's see how things look a decade from now. Who knows - things could move more quickly than we think if all the stars, suns and moons align.

Edited by I miss RVA

21 hours ago, eandslee said:

Actually, this article leaves it open as a possibility!

From my keyboard to God's ears. Guy agrees w my exact logic. Won't happen anytime soon, but once they've been up and running for ~10 years it's very possible.

Edit: meant to add I love that this board was basically fantasizing about this possibility, and a few days later there's a whole AP article about the possibility quoting an expert as basically saying it's highly probable.

Edited by 123fakestreet
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, 123fakestreet said:

From my keyboard to God's ears. Guy agrees w my exact logic. Won't happen anytime soon, but once they've been up and running for ~10 years it's very possible.

100% agreed, @123fakestreetI think this (a 10-year period) is the window that reallllllly is reasonable and makes a lot of sense. That allows enough time for LEGO to REALLLLLY get woven into the RVA metro (and the C. of Va.) fabric - and for them to feel "at home" here. I'm thinking that in a decade's time, it might actually be easier to pry that HQ loose from Connecticut than we can imagine - especially if RVA continues to really grow -- and especially if she picks up the pace a bit. Hopefully it will becomes a scenario where it DOESN'T make sense for them NOT to move everything to RVA. That like Thanos - moving to RVA is inevitable. (I SO WISH we could use that line for marketing - can you imagine approaching various companies or for that matter just launching "come to RVA campaigns" - with the punch line of - "like Thanos, moving to RVA... is inevitable." :tw_thumbsup:

Some density coming to the continuing west/southwestward push of suburban sprawl in RVA's southwest suburbs: townhomes to be built at Westchester Commons in Midlothian. A really nice bit of infill in that retail-center at U.S. 60 and 288.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/06/22/construction-to-start-on-westchester-commons-townhomes-after-land-deal/

Westchester-Commons-main-scaled.jpg

Westchester-Commons-site-map.jpg

Westchester-Commons-rendering.jpg

Screenshot (1966).png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shakman said:

Seems very odd to build a bunch of townhomes in the middle of shopping complex.  I guess suburbia has their version of mixed use.

It seems to be a trend that's popping up around the area though. Maybe not specifically townhomes - but mixing residential in with more traditional (and even legacy in some cases) suburban retail/shopping environments.

Wondering how much of that equates to "built-in clientele" and/or "captive audience" so to speak?

15 hours ago, Shakman said:

Too much asphalt.

True. By contrast, I'm reminded of this project in the West End that encorporates a lot more density - as well as townhomes. Different animal altogether, I realize - but still. Cuts down on the amount of vacant asphalt - at least in half of the project.

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/10849-richmonds-suburban-developments/?do=findComment&comment=1792691

Ok I'm back again, but I am coming with some questions... My first question is can someone potentially tell me about what's coming to 7000 Carnation Street? I have checked the city permit system, and the website of developer but I still haven't anything, and also could someone tell me what's proposed for 7000 Jahnke Rd? 
UPDATE: Old Henrico Plaza project continues construction, more cellar nodes are being added to the cell tower, and it some sewer and improvements. Not too far away there seems to be some housing being added along Harris Ave. 

I'm also kind of wondering why anyone hasn't snatched up the land behind Rose's gamming yet?

7 hours ago, Child2021 said:

Broad Street 2008:

image.thumb.png.b93db5202eb71027b7318f31f7c117d5.pngimage.thumb.png.99f751fd32fd47c93c7e5ffd51a6974e.png

Broad Street 2022^

I was working on a huge senior living project known as Avery point out just by 288 and wawa in goochland and it has. As a former goochland resident when I was just a little boy it has changed night and day along 250 and route 6.  I think 288 has been a big catalyst for it as well as short pump around 288. Having the entire highway system connected in some way was a big step connecting western henrico eastern goochland and parts of Powhatan was a huge deal. I really wish 295 were able to go all the way around Richmond but know it wasn’t going to happen as my dad worked on that project back when it was built and with the Walmart in the way they said it would never happen.  My dad asked if they could of gone around the Walmart but they said the cost would of been way too much even for standards back then. But at least all of it is connected in some way. The 295 flyover bridge has been a huge help too for people coming from the west to go toward Hanover and I-95 via 295.

• Like 1

DHL has moved its Richmond location to a much larger facility near the airport. I'm always glad when these shipping/delivery companies that already have a processing facility established in RVA metro expand into a much larger plant within the metro. It's certainly a win in a manner of speaking -- and one of those cases where, indeed, bigger IS better!

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/07/11/shipping-company-moves-into-bigger-digs-by-the-airport/

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

DHL has moved its Richmond location to a much larger facility near the airport. I'm always glad when these shipping/delivery companies that already have a processing facility established in RVA metro expand into a much larger plant within the metro. It's certainly a win in a manner of speaking -- and one of those cases where, indeed, bigger IS better!

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/07/11/shipping-company-moves-into-bigger-digs-by-the-airport/

Also note that DHL's prior facility is adjacent to Green City.

• Like 4

Chesterfield  County continues work on their River City Sportsplex site plans, just inside the 288 beltway.  (Again, EXCELLENT use of the name "River City" - we need more of this as a tool for marketing RVA, city and metro.)

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/07/13/chesterfield-continues-to-map-out-plan-for-river-city-sportsplex-area/

sportsplex1.png

Screenshot (2033).png

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Child2021 said:

"Today, 18% of East Coast internet traffic comes through Henrico County, according to the Henrico Economic Development Authority." This is important as you remember Sandy caused an issued back in 2012.

• Like 3

Okay, here is something I don’t understand.  This cable that was laid and comes right through Henrico at QTS sounds to be THE best thing on the planet for data centers. You’d think that major companies would be lining up to build right there in Henrico…but they aren’t (granted there are a few).  There are more data centers in NOVA, which is further away!  So what gives?!  I don’t have any doubt that the 700 acres left at White Oak will eventually be developed, but if this is such a good thing and the county has made it cheap tax-wise, why isn’t all of the land out there on the east side of Henrico already spoken for?  I’m just confused by this.  Obviously, I’m missing something.  Does anyone know what the answer is?

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/07/14/1-5m-square-foot-expansion-underway-at-qts-data-center-site-in-henrico/

Edited by eandslee

4 hours ago, eandslee said:

Okay, here is something I don’t understand.  This cable that was laid and comes right through Henrico at QTS sounds to be THE best thing on the planet for data centers. You’d think that major companies would be lining up to build right there in Henrico…but they aren’t (granted there are a few).  There are more data centers in NOVA, which is further away!  So what gives?!  I don’t have any doubt that the 700 acres left at White Oak will eventually be developed, but if this is such a good thing and the county has made it cheap tax-wise, why isn’t all of the land out there on the east side of Henrico already spoken for?  I’m just confused by this.  Obviously, I’m missing something.  Does anyone know what the answer is?

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/07/14/1-5m-square-foot-expansion-underway-at-qts-data-center-site-in-henrico/

Perhaps proximity to D.C. - NOVA is somewhat of a data "hub" - maybe there are several east-west trunk lines that begin/end in NOVA because of the federal government (and who knows how many north-south lines might spoke off of a hub there). I don't know if this is the case, but it's something that's quite plausable.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2