Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

2 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Perhaps proximity to D.C. - NOVA is somewhat of a data "hub" - maybe there are several east-west trunk lines that begin/end in NOVA because of the federal government (and who knows how many north-south lines might spoke off of a hub there). I don't know if this is the case, but it's something that's quite plausable.

This is accurate including the line that runs through QTS which swings North up by the future Green City (which is why Dominion Energy and Level 3 have data centers there) ultimately to the central hubs in NOVA.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Brent114 said:

Took a detour through Innsbrook…

The transformation of the office park is well underway. 

393B9A82-DECA-4400-AC8D-ED34E14733E2.jpeg

FA9E29BA-EB3E-431C-A0B2-5773B15485CC.jpeg

Wow! Thanks, @Brent114!! Great photos. This is so good to see. Looks like the transformation is off to a great start! I can't wait to see how this will look over the next couple of years.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Thought this was an interesting story from today’s RBS…talks about a massive fulfillment center to be built just west of where 288 and I-64 meet (technically in Goochland).  We may say now that it’s way out there, but in the not too distant future, this area will be the center of where the metro area is expanding west. I just thought it was an odd area for a fulfillment center.  Most of the centers we’ve see lately have been either on the east side of town or to Richmond’s north along I-95.  This is the first one that I know of that will be west of town. Plans are to hire 1,000 people and will likely be another robotic-style center similar to the one Amazon is building next to RIR.  Anyway, I think it’s great news and just adds to the importance of Richmond in the world of logistics:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/07/19/massive-project-rocky-fulfillment-center-in-the-works-in-rockville/

As a westender, this is in my world and travel there quite a lot. I have a friend that owns a farm in Hanover that’s right on the Goochland, Henrico, Hanover lines and frequent this intersection some plus take 288 to 64 from Broad to hit the mountains and this is the corridor they’ll be using. This type of project is very Goochland where they build development at the edges of the county and put a larger burden on the adjacent county to support their infrastructure and doesn’t require new schools, homes, etc. they  just get the taxes and the employees all travel, live, eat, drive from elsewhere and from the adjacent counties, think Motorola, which didn’t happen. I do feel this corridor will get busier and the article mentions reworking major traffic patterns for the interstate entry and adjacent entries for the other businesses, quarry, brewery and a large landfill. I believe growth here is inevitable and that growth will occur, just interesting how Goochland does their development. Also, it’s not that far, maybe if you’re coming from Shockoe or Rocket’s Landing, but 64/expressway/195 or even Patterson ave. into the city, it’s not that bad,  grant it, I don’t do it every day, but it’s not “way out” to me.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Hike said:

As a westender, this is in my world and travel there quite a lot. I have a friend that owns a farm in Hanover that’s right on the Goochland, Henrico, Hanover lines and frequent this intersection some plus take 288 to 64 from Broad to hit the mountains and this is the corridor they’ll be using. This type of project is very Goochland where they build development at the edges of the county and put a larger burden on the adjacent county to support their infrastructure and doesn’t require new schools, homes, etc. they  just get the taxes and the employees all travel, live, eat, drive from elsewhere and from the adjacent counties, think Motorola, which didn’t happen. I do feel this corridor will get busier and the article mentions reworking major traffic patterns for the interstate entry and adjacent entries for the other businesses, quarry, brewery and a large landfill. I believe growth here is inevitable and that growth will occur, just interesting how Goochland does their development. Also, it’s not that far, maybe if you’re coming from Shockoe or Rocket’s Landing, but 64/expressway/195 or even Patterson ave. into the city, it’s not that bad,  grant it, I don’t do it every day, but it’s not “way out” to me.

Amen I’m a westender myself live off of parham just right past parham and three chopt on the corner of parham and a neighborhood road.  If you see a home that’s on a hill that’s me and my wife’s home. I travel out to what I call the new and final frontier of short pump in henrico was working on a huge senior living facility called Avery point then got moved all over. But I do go down 64 to gum spring every afternoon to pick up my daughter from day care and along 250 there is a lot of land up to 522. My only concern is a lot of the homes on 250 in goochland are very large older looking large estate farm looking homes and I can’t help but wonder I would think those people would fight tooth and nail. 

• Like 2

Interesting that this is being put essentially right next to the county landfill. Either way, @eandsleeI 100% agree with you that while it seems like it's out in the middle of Daniel Booneville right now - in 10-15 years, all of eastern Goochland will be built up as much as far western Henrico is today, and there will be plenty of spillover going into far western Hanover. This part of the metro is due for its own boom - still a little ways off, but coming nonetheless.

Here are some renderings/specs of the new e-fulfillment center:

ProjectRocky1.jpg

ProjectRocky2.jpg

ProjectRocky3.jpg

Screenshot (2055).png

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Interesting that this is being put essentially right next to the county landfill. Either way, @eandsleeI 100% agree with you that while it seems like it's out in the middle of Daniel Booneville right now - in 10-15 years, all of eastern Goochland will be built up as much as far western Henrico is today, and there will be plenty of spillover going into far western Hanover. This part of the metro is due for its own boom - still a little ways off, but coming nonetheless.

ProjectRocky1.jpg

ProjectRocky2.jpg

ProjectRocky3.jpg

Screenshot (2055).png

Any guesses who the company is?  I think it’s Amazon again. Literally looks exactly like the one next to RIR…exact specs, everything is exactly the same as the RIC4 facility!  It’s Amazon (who am I kidding?).  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, eandslee said:

Any guesses who the company is?  I think it’s Amazon again. Literally looks exactly like the one next to RIR…exact specs, everything is exactly the same as the RIC4 facility!  It’s Amazon (who am I kidding?).  

Not sure who may be an actual Amazon competitor such that they have e-fulfillment centers similar to Amazon's around the country. A question is this: would Amazon actually put TWO such large e-fulfillment centers in the same metropolitan area?

48 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

:tw_joy: Daniel Boone Ville, you’ll need to head this way at some point to see otherwise. IMO this is the gateway to what I see as the urban area from the west. I64 is 6 lanes here, 288 flyover is in sight, VCU health that’s visible with height, probably 7 floors, about the same for the Hilton and other large buildings, drive shack golf that’s huge and visible, could go on and on for developments right here, all Henrico, but right there and what I feel begins the perimeter of the metro.  The corner where this is planned is industrial and very busy, hardly booneville, this is in striking distance of short pump that is very bursting at the seams.

Edited by Hike
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hike said:

:tw_joy: Daniel Boone Ville, you’ll need to head this way at some point to see otherwise. IMO this is the gateway to what I see as the urban area from the west. I64 is 6 lanes here, 288 flyover is in sight, VCU health that’s visible with height, probably 7 floors, about the same for the Hilton and other large buildings, drive shack golf that’s huge and visible, all Henrico, but right there and what I feel begins the perimeter of the metro.  The corner where this is planned is industrial and very busy, hardly booneville, this is in striking distance of short pump that is very bursting at the seams.

Oh very definitely eastern Goochland is the gateway to the urban part of metro Richmond from the west. Mind you, given the relatively "remote" (in quotes) location of the fulfillment center, that's why I said "seems like" - and there's little question that in the coming years, the boom will sweep over this part of the metro just as it has in other locations over the past few decades. 

How far west does I-64 carry the six-lane configuration? 

Depending on a number of factors (my health being one of them), I'm still working through plans to head that way and come home for a visit later this year. It's been wayyyyyyyy too long.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Oh very definitely eastern Goochland is the gateway to the urban part of metro Richmond from the west. Mind you, given the relatively "remote" (in quotes) location of the fulfillment center, that's why I said "seems like" - and there's little question that in the coming years, the boom will sweep over this part of the metro just as it has in other locations over the past few decades. 

How far west does I-64 carry the six-lane configuration? 

Depending on a number of factors (my health being one of them), I'm still working through plans to head that way and come home for a visit later this year. It's been wayyyyyyyy too long.

It goes from 6 to 4 at the intersection/bridge that would be the exit/entrance to this site. As for what it could be, if not Amazon, could be target or Home Depot?  Take a look at Google maps for this vicinity, I drive this a lot and when you go under this bridge heading east, the Rockville/Manakin exit, it’s like you have exited rural and entered urban.

Edited by Hike
  • Like 2

@RVA-Is-The-BestI wanted to add to your question about I64 lanes, about where this site is, it’s basically 6 lanes minimum all the way to bottoms bridge past the airport, then back to 4 lanes until Williamsburg, after Williamsburg it’s 6 lanes again to the HRBT. The 27? miles left from bottoms bridge to Williamsburg just got funded and will be 6 lanes once that gets completed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

Not sure who may be an actual Amazon competitor such that they have e-fulfillment centers similar to Amazon's around the country. A question is this: would Amazon actually put TWO such large e-fulfillment centers in the same metropolitan area?

Yes. They’re doing the same down here in Hampton Roads. Suffolk’s just opened and they’re already getting approvals in Virginia Beach for the next one. It sounds like it’ll be a few years before they build it in VB though, which is consistent with news that they’re scaling down development and subleasing excess space. Maybe the same play with this one. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Downtowner said:

Found this at the corner of broad street and gayton road where stranges is. Why would henrico care. Nimbys are out in full force on project rocky. 

70143388-C199-4713-ADFC-046B7927D5A3.jpeg

That's just NUTS!!! Jesus - I think the NIMBYs honestly ARE BANANAs when it comes right down to it.

4 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Walmart seems to be their closest competitor so that has been my suspicion.

• Like 1

I believe we've had some mention of this project in this thread previously (quite a long time ago actually) - a nice apartment project planned adjacent to the St. Joseph's Villa campus is under construction. It will bring some much-needed income-based housing to that part of central Henrico - and some density to that area.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/07/22/84-unit-apartment-development-taking-shape-beside-st-josephs-villa/

BrookVillasElevtaions-700x225.jpg

BrookVillasSitePlan.jpg

BrookVillas2-2048x1017.jpg

Screenshot (2057).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, plain said:

I think RBS had it a while back - but this is a really good report from Channel 8 News. Amazing to see the land being cleared and infrastructure components already being moved in to set the stage for development (those sewer pipes are HUGE behind the field reporter - holy moly!!) Here's hoping the county will green-light this and the developers can get underway. This looks like a pretty sweet development for that part of the county.

19 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

I think RBS had it a while back - but this is a really good report from Channel 8 News. Amazing to see the land being cleared and infrastructure components already being moved in to set the stage for development (those sewer pipes are HUGE behind the field reporter - holy moly!!) Here's hoping the county will green-light this and the developers can get underway. This looks like a pretty sweet development for that part of the county.

Brand new reporting from today's RBS on this project:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/07/29/323m-the-lake-project-in-chesterfield-considered-for-8-figure-county-grant/

lake1-2048x1186.jpg

lake2.jpg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Flood Zone said:

Poor Bruce Milam got downvoted rather severely there for what was a pretty decent joke.

It was a pretty good joke. I upvoted him, but by the time I saw the article, he was already sitting at minus-five (which I'm sure he would LOVE on the golf course, but not in the comments section of RBS) so my upvote didn't help out much.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Haha 1