Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

• 2 weeks later...

From WRIC-TV8 News:

Developers have filed preliminary plans in requesting a conditional use permit related to the yet-to-be-finalized of the former Albright Boy Scott camp site on the Appomatox River. No details, spec, renderings are known at this time - however the development is reportedly a large-lot family (am guessing "single-family detached") subdivision. This would be the first such in that far southwestern part of the county (in Matoaca district). Everything is very preliminary at this point but it's interesting that some development may very well be spreading to the farthest reaches of Chesterfield in an area currently zoned agricultural.

https://www.wric.com/news/local-news/chesterfield-county/developer-plans-to-turn-former-chesterfield-boy-scout-camp-into-homes/

Chesterfield1.jpg

Screenshot (2091).png

More density coming to northeastern Henrico - a new 92-home subdivision planned for Harvie Road (just off Laburnum Avenue), east of Mechanicsville Turnpike. Vote comes before the Board of Supervisors next month.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/08/18/plan-for-92-homes-near-harvie-elementary-advances-in-henrico/

HarvieESsubdivision2.jpg

HarvieESsubdivision1.jpg

Screenshot (2096).png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

More density coming to northeastern Henrico - a new 92-home subdivision planned for Harvie Road (just off Laburnum Avenue), east of Mechanicsville Turnpike. Vote comes before the Board of Supervisors next month.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/08/18/plan-for-92-homes-near-harvie-elementary-advances-in-henrico/

HarvieESsubdivision2.jpg

HarvieESsubdivision1.jpg

Screenshot (2096).png

That's a nice little infill development for that part of the county. Fits the area really well while adding more people there.

As a side note, what ever happened to the major developments that was supposed to be built in the eastern part of the county closer to the James? They were first announced several years ago. I forgot what they were called.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, plain said:

That's a nice little infill development for that part of the county. Fits the area really well while adding more people there.

As a side note, what ever happened to the major developments that was supposed to be built in the eastern part of the county closer to the James? They were first announced several years ago. I forgot what they were called.

In the Varina area?

@ShakmanI think the one that @plainis referencing is at least one development (maybe two) proposed for the Varina area that would be within a stone's throw of some of the new manufacturing, tech and distribution facilities sprouting up south of the airport. I recall discussion of the projects, both here and in RVA media (such as RBS) - but that's been a lonnnnnnnnnnnnng time ago - and I don't recall having seen/heard anything about it even at any time this year. I'd be curious to know what the status with all of that is myself.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

@ShakmanI think the one that @plainis referencing is at least one development (maybe two) proposed for the Varina area that would be within a stone's throw of some of the new manufacturing, tech and distribution facilities sprouting up south of the airport. I recall discussion of the projects, both here and in RVA media (such as RBS) - but that's been a lonnnnnnnnnnnnng time ago - and I don't recall having seen/heard anything about it even at any time this year. I'd be curious to know what the status with all of that is myself.

Yes, now that I think of it, one of them was called Tree Hill or something similar. It was actually a very nice proposal. And yes, it was years ago when it was proposed.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2022 at 11:36 AM, plain said:

I'm not talking about the development on Harvie Rd.

Maaa bad.  

On 8/19/2022 at 7:30 PM, wrldcoupe4 said:

I think one of the larger ones, Tree Hill Farm, or Wilton Farm was going to be put into some sort of conservation or bought by the county for a park instead? Does that ring a bell for anyone else?

Tree Hill is off of Rt 5,  just past Rocketts Landing correct?

Edited by Shakman
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Yep - that sounds about right.  I think there were two different developments proposed for the Varina area, no? And this was one of them (maybe the larger of the two, even...)

Here's an old story from 2013 about it, I believe this is when it was proposed. Would of been nice. Oh well.

https://www.nbc12.com/story/24066894/mixed-use-development-to

EDIT: The other development was indeed called Wilton On The James.

https://m.styleweekly.com/richmond/residents-worry-will-route-5-plan-destroy-varina/Content?oid=1747552

Edited by plain
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, plain said:

Here's an old story from 2013 about it, I believe this is when it was proposed. Would of been nice. Oh well.

https://www.nbc12.com/story/24066894/mixed-use-development-to

Has the plug been pulled on this (and other development there) altogether? I thought that as late as 2019 at least (maybe even 2020?) there were possibly two large-scale residential developments proposed for the Varina area - we discussed them here in our UP community if memory serves - and I don't remember if maybe the pandemic derailed things or what happened. I recall some of the local NIMBYs from out that way were protesting, saying they didn't want any development out there but it looked to be an all-but foregone conclusion that large-scale subdivisions were going to get built in the vicinity of all of the new industry that's been popping up south of the airport.

• Like 1

I've been saying for years that the East End of Henrico needs to start filling with residents, and these developments would've been a great kickstart to that. I get that lifelong residents of Varina don't want the rural nature of the area to go away but there's smart ways of doing things like this. They're probably afraid of an "Eastern Short Pump" or something like that but seriously, they have to realize that:

1) they're in Henrico County

2) they're near a growing airport

3) they're near a rapidly growing industrial area

4) they're VERY close to the City of Richmond

5) they're surrounded by expressways

Such growth can occur inside I-295 and the area east of there will still probably remain rural for decades to come anyway.

I don't know if the 2 developments are completely dead for sure but there haven't been much activity with them lately, that's for sure.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, plain said:

I've been saying for years that the East End of Henrico needs to start filling with residents, and these developments would've been a great kickstart to that. I get that lifelong residents of Varina don't want the rural nature of the area to go away but there's smart ways of doing things like this. They're probably afraid of an "Eastern Short Pump" or something like that but seriously, they have to realize that:

1) they're in Henrico County

2) they're near a growing airport

3) they're near a rapidly growing industrial area

4) they're VERY close to the City of Richmond

5) they're surrounded by expressways

Such growth can occur inside I-295 and the area east of there will still probably remain rural for decades to come anyway.

I don't know if the 2 developments are completely dead for sure but there haven't been much activity with them lately, that's for sure.

Perfectly stated. :tw_thumbsup:

Does anyone know if Libbie Mill is expanding to the west?  I drove behind it and the houses that dotted the area between Libbie Road and Libbie Mill are all abandoned and stripped.  There are two dozen or so over 3-4 blocks.  I’d love to see the new development move west.  I think Libbie Mill is pretty great for this kind of development but it can be much better if it’s actually integrated into the existing street grid. 

• Like 1