Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

Some density on the way to Bon Air!

An Alabama developer is planning to construct a 324-apartment development in the southwestern part of Bon Air on Old Bon Air Road, north  of the intersection of Robious and Midlo. The lot is in a currently wooded area.

From Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/11/15/alabama-developer-planning-hundreds-of-apartments-in-bon-air/

bonair1.jpeg

Screenshot (2473).png

• 2 weeks later...

I think we've had this development previously in this suburban thread - but a brief update from the Times-Dispatch. The 450-residential-unit Cloverleigh development is on the docket for the Chesterfield Board of Supervisors' upcoming meeting (December 14) - and if it gets the green light, it will get underway in 2023. The proposed development was approved by the county's planning commission in mid-October by a vote of 4-1 in favor.

Unfortunately, the RT-D article did not include any art or renderings. Also - the story does not appear to detail (unless I missed it) whether the "units" are apartments, townhouses or if this is a subdivision - and while I'll admit to being lazy in researching this, I honestly don't feel like schlepping back through this thread to see if I can find it. (Apologies!)

https://richmond.com/news/local/proposed-cloverleigh-development-project-is-ready-for-next-step-toward-approval/article_67758560-9fc2-568b-bba2-5244c6676e8b.html?utm_source=richmond.com&utm_campaign=%2Fnewsletter-templates%2Fbreaking&utm_medium=PostUp&utm_content=0ec7e032dd1e4ec101109fd5c9cd7c5c0a175c41

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

I think we've had this development previously in this suburban thread - but a brief update from the Times-Dispatch. The 450-residential-unit Cloverleigh development is on the docket for the Chesterfield Board of Supervisors' upcoming meeting (December 14) - and if it gets the green light, it will get underway in 2023. The proposed development was approved by the county's planning commission in mid-October by a vote of 4-1 in favor.

Unfortunately, the RT-D article did not include any art or renderings. Also - the story does not appear to detail (unless I missed it) whether the "units" are apartments, townhouses or if this is a subdivision - and while I'll admit to being lazy in researching this, I honestly don't feel like schlepping back through this thread to see if I can find it. (Apologies!)

https://richmond.com/news/local/proposed-cloverleigh-development-project-is-ready-for-next-step-toward-approval/article_67758560-9fc2-568b-bba2-5244c6676e8b.html?utm_source=richmond.com&utm_campaign=%2Fnewsletter-templates%2Fbreaking&utm_medium=PostUp&utm_content=0ec7e032dd1e4ec101109fd5c9cd7c5c0a175c41

Single family and stacked condos. “The Conceptual Plan shows three (3) traditional lots, 165 cluster‐style lots, 280 stacked two‐over‐two units, a restaurant, and a seven (7) story hotel building.”

https://www.chesterfield.gov/DocumentCenter/View/30424/21SN0600-Case-Presentation-10-18-2022-PDF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, HRVA said:

Single family and stacked condos. “The Conceptual Plan shows three (3) traditional lots, 165 cluster‐style lots, 280 stacked two‐over‐two units, a restaurant, and a seven (7) story hotel building.”

https://www.chesterfield.gov/DocumentCenter/View/30424/21SN0600-Case-Presentation-10-18-2022-PDF

Thanks so much, @HRVAfor posting this. Indeed, this is a robust development with a lot of major components. I LOVE the 2 over 2 stacks - these bad boys are absolutely gorgeous!

Screenshot (2490).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

Some residential density and commercial space coming to the eastern portion of the Brightpoint Community College campus (former John Tyler CC) in Midlothian just inside the 288 beltway. The development would bring 245 apartments and 10K sq ft of commercial space. Pretty cool looking project.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/11/28/community-college-planning-mixed-use-development-next-to-midlothian-campus/

brightpoint_unit (1).png

brightpoint_plan.png

Brightpoint.png

Screenshot (2503).png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Hoping that we continue to see benefits from the new cables coming into Virginia. There seem to be some data center expansion pressures in northern Virginia.

There are actually a number of residents in NOVA who, recently, have been verbally against these popping up everywhere and they are gaining traction.  This new resistance could be a boon for the Richmond area as there seems to be no resistance...in fact, these are encouraged in Eastern Henrico!  Here's hoping there is a huge shift coming very soon from NOVA to Henrico!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, eandslee said:

There are actually a number of residents in NOVA who, recently, have been verbally against these popping up everywhere and they are gaining traction.  This new resistance could be a boon for the Richmond area as there seems to be no resistance...in fact, these are encouraged in Eastern Henrico!  Here's hoping there is a huge shift coming very soon from NOVA to Henrico!

Plenty of space out that-a-way. Bring it on! All the better for us. :tw_thumbsup:

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Child2021 said:

Take a look at this study, it shows that Richmond (well expected) is one of the largest data center markets in the country!

Top Data Center Markets - Construction & Sales Report | 42Floors

Definitely hope we can not just maintain - but increase - the momentum in this area and keep moving up in this industry.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Child2021 said:

Take a look at this study, it shows that Richmond (well expected) is one of the largest data center markets in the country!

Top Data Center Markets - Construction & Sales Report | 42Floors

Note that this is showing a combined market with Tidewater, though I do believe the vast majority of that square footage is Richmond.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Icetera said:

Note that this is showing a combined market with Tidewater, though I do believe the vast majority of that square footage is Richmond.

Maybe Tidewater is included because Virginia Beach is the point of entry for the trans-Atlantic trunk?

I wonder, too, if the development of the vast majority (or all?) of the data centers based in RVA are in eastern Henrico as opposed to elsewhere in the metro (such as, for example, Manikin Sabot - roughly 30 miles to the west) has any impact being that Sandston and points east are closer to Tidewater than the western, northern or southwestern suburbs? In other words, location = proximity.

3 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Are data centers concerned about coastal proximity?

No - I mean "market" proximity. Sandston is closer to "Tidewater" by 30 miles, than is Manakin Sabot (as an example). My thought is - would Tidewater and RVA still be counted "together" if all of the RVA data centers were built in Goochland as opposed to eastern Henrico? Just curious if that has anything to do with it.

Edited by I miss RVA

7 hours ago, Ryland said:

Hi all, this is my first time writing a message here, but I've been lurking for awhile. I appreciate everyone's enthusiasm in the topics on this site as, like all of you, I'm excited to see the Richmond area grow and learn about new developments and projects. I read the recent comments in this thread about data centers in Varina and as someone who grew up in and currently lives there, I decided to chime in and provide some perspective on eastern Henrico as there are often misperceptions about what can be developed in that half of the county. While development is certainly occurring, it will likely never be as wide-scale as what has taken place in western Henrico.  This is for several reasons. One is that Varina is very swampy, with the Chickahominy River, White Oak Swamp and several large creeks making development, not impossible, but not easy either. The second is that large portions of Varina is protected land and more will likely be protected in the future. 

In particular, I'm referring to the area bounded to the north by Darbytown Road, the west by I-295, the east by Charles City County, and the James to the south. There are multiple large swaths of land in this area which are protected by various entities, like Henrico County, the American Battlefield Trust, the Richmond Battlefields Association, the Capital Region Land Conservancy and the National Park Service. This is especially true in the section that stretches along New Market Road (Route 5) from Four Mile Creek Park to the Malvern Hill Battlefield. That unit of Richmond National Battlefield Park also includes the battlefields of Glendale and Deep Bottom and the National Park unit will eventually expand to an area the size of roughly 3,000+ acres. That does not include +/- 1,000 acres surrounding the battlefields that are protected by other entities, including the Commonwealth and Henrico County. There are several large tracts, including recently, a farm at over 120-acres and Curles Neck Farm which hold extensive conservation easements. In recent years, a couple of large-scale housing developments have been withdrawn in Varina. Among them was Wilton Farms, which was withdrawn around 2008/2009. Henrico County purchased that 1,184-acre site which straddles 895 from the river to Osbourne Turnpike in 2019 with the intention of including a mix of some lite economic development, schools and park land. However, the county has acknowledged that over 500 acres of that property is not developable.  Earlier this year, the long discussed Ridings development was withdrawn and that 400+ acre property is now currently being eyed by several preservation groups for permanent protection due to it being the site of two separate Civil War battles. 

While there are plenty of current and proposed developments to be excited about in eastern Henrico, especially as RIC grows, I believe most of that development will be focused east of I-295 and along the US 60 corridor including potential needed redevelopment of older developed areas such as Sandston and Highland Springs, which I am more excited to see happen. Eventually, as White Oak Technology Park gets built out, I would not be surprised to see larger non-housing development projects bypass Eastern Henrico and instead focus on New Kent County and Charles City County, especially once I-64 is expanded in New Kent, easing often crippling congestion between Richmond and Tidewater. This would particularly be to the benefit of Charles City County which currently lacks significant economic generators and, especially along the northern tier near its border with New Kent has the potential for large-scale developments. 

Just wanted to give my thoughts and provide some information on things that most people either aren't aware of, or think about, when imaging the development potential of certain areas. :) 

Insightful commentary, welcome! I don’t visit this area of Henrico much, seems like when I do it’s driving route 5 to Williamsburg, one of the areas nicer country drives into and out of the woods and fields.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2022 at 12:50 PM, wrldcoupe4 said:

Are data centers concerned about coastal proximity?

Not to my knowledge but Eastern Henrico is conveniently located at a point where several Trans-Atlantic trunk lines coming in from VA Beach, including one with a 25% investment from Facebook/Meta, converge with major East Coast lines.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ryland said:

Hi all, this is my first time writing a message here, but I've been lurking for awhile. I appreciate everyone's enthusiasm in the topics on this site as, like all of you, I'm excited to see the Richmond area grow and learn about new developments and projects. I read the recent comments in this thread about data centers in Varina and as someone who grew up in and currently lives there, I decided to chime in and provide some perspective on eastern Henrico as there are often misperceptions about what can be developed in that half of the county. While development is certainly occurring, it will likely never be as wide-scale as what has taken place in western Henrico.  This is for several reasons. One is that Varina is very swampy, with the Chickahominy River, White Oak Swamp and several large creeks making development, not impossible, but not easy either. The second is that large portions of Varina is protected land and more will likely be protected in the future. 

In particular, I'm referring to the area bounded to the north by Darbytown Road, the west by I-295, the east by Charles City County, and the James to the south. There are multiple large swaths of land in this area which are protected by various entities, like Henrico County, the American Battlefield Trust, the Richmond Battlefields Association, the Capital Region Land Conservancy and the National Park Service. This is especially true in the section that stretches along New Market Road (Route 5) from Four Mile Creek Park to the Malvern Hill Battlefield. That unit of Richmond National Battlefield Park also includes the battlefields of Glendale and Deep Bottom and the National Park unit will eventually expand to an area the size of roughly 3,000+ acres. That does not include +/- 1,000 acres surrounding the battlefields that are protected by other entities, including the Commonwealth and Henrico County. There are several large tracts, including recently, a farm at over 120-acres and Curles Neck Farm which hold extensive conservation easements. In recent years, a couple of large-scale housing developments have been withdrawn in Varina. Among them was Wilton Farms, which was withdrawn around 2008/2009. Henrico County purchased that 1,184-acre site which straddles 895 from the river to Osbourne Turnpike in 2019 with the intention of including a mix of some lite economic development, schools and park land. However, the county has acknowledged that over 500 acres of that property is not developable.  Earlier this year, the long discussed Ridings development was withdrawn and that 400+ acre property is now currently being eyed by several preservation groups for permanent protection due to it being the site of two separate Civil War battles. 

While there are plenty of current and proposed developments to be excited about in eastern Henrico, especially as RIC grows, I believe most of that development will be focused east of I-295 and along the US 60 corridor including potential needed redevelopment of older developed areas such as Sandston and Highland Springs, which I am more excited to see happen. Eventually, as White Oak Technology Park gets built out, I would not be surprised to see larger non-housing development projects bypass Eastern Henrico and instead focus on New Kent County and Charles City County, especially once I-64 is expanded in New Kent, easing often crippling congestion between Richmond and Tidewater. This would particularly be to the benefit of Charles City County which currently lacks significant economic generators and, especially along the northern tier near its border with New Kent has the potential for large-scale developments. 

Just wanted to give my thoughts and provide some information on things that most people either aren't aware of, or think about, when imaging the development potential of certain areas. :) 

Welcome to the forums, @Ryland!! Very glad you decided to take the Nestea Plunge!

Thanks so much for the very insightful information about the eastern portion of the county. REALLY good information that helps give a much greater understanding about the comings and goings of development in that portion of the RVA metro.

• Like 3