Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

23 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

A nice-looking subdivision is being added to the patchwork of development in the currently largely undeveloped section of the southwest suburbs (western Chesterfield) along the presumed corridor of the Powhite Parkway extension about 4.5 miles west of the 288 beltway.

LatticeHallSitePlan-700x427.jpg

LatticeHallSFhomes-700x471.jpg

Screenshot (2508).png

Screenshot (2509).png

Western Chesterfield is building quite rapidly these days, not too much further until it reaches the border of Powhatan.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

A nice-looking subdivision is being added to the patchwork of development in the currently largely undeveloped section of the southwest suburbs (western Chesterfield) along the presumed corridor of the Powhite Parkway extension about 4.5 miles west of the 288 beltway.

LatticeHallSitePlan-700x427.jpg

LatticeHallSFhomes-700x471.jpg

Screenshot (2508).png

Screenshot (2509).png

My wife and I often talk about moving, want to get closer to the mountains to reduce travel to get there. The issue is the market is too hot, we want to buy when it’s down, plus, we’re just not ready to do it, but we will. We look all the time for fun and to dream about it. We look at homes when in Harrisonburg, Staunton, Waynesboro, Luray, etc. (would say Charlottesville but that’s way too expensive) one thing we run into all the time is new housing sizes, they’re just big, and, of course, more expensive.  I don’t know how everybody can afford these homes and the bigger they are the more they cost. I really wish builders would build small, our home that we live in is about 1250 s.f., but we also like small homes. We must be very alone in this concept because they don’t seem to exist. We’ll probably end up buying land and building a small, similarly sized home, but not in a housing division because they typically don’t allow small.  It seems like there’s a tier missing in new construction, smaller homes, 1 level, maybe no garage. They don’t have to be junk, nice design, good details, I think they’d fly off the shelf. All new homes today look exactly the same from city to city, town to town, they’re boring. 

(Corrected our s.f., which is smaller than I noted.)

Edited by Hike
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, Hike said:

My wife and I often talk about moving, want to get closer to the mountains to reduce travel to get there. The issue is the market is too hot, we want to buy when it’s down, plus, we’re just not ready to do it, but we will. We look all the time for fun and to dream about it. We look at homes when in Harrisonburg, Staunton, Waynesboro, Luray, etc. (would say Charlottesville but that’s way too expensive) one thing we run into all the time is new housing sizes, they’re just big, and, of course, more expensive.  I don’t know how everybody can afford these homes and the bigger they are the more they cost. I really wish builders would build small, our home that we live in is about 1250 s.f., but we also like small homes. We must be very alone in this concept because they don’t seem to exist. We’ll probably end up buying land and building a small, similarly sized home, but not in a housing division because they typically don’t allow small.  It seems like there’s a tier missing in new construction, smaller homes, 1 level, maybe no garage. They don’t have to be junk, nice design, good details, I think they’d fly off the shelf. All new homes today look exactly the same from city to city, town to town, they’re boring. 

(Corrected our s.f., which is smaller than I noted.)

They are called either starter or empty nester homes. My wife and I have one now. Ours is 1400 square feet. We are moving into a 3500 square foot home on her parents farm in Winchester just south of town. So it’s going to be a big change. It’s 2000 acres and been part of a conservation easement agreement some of her Earlier relatives  signed it with the town of Winchester long long ago. The farm started in the 1880s I love it out there. Our home overlooks the main operation of our farm and the mountains and the valley. It’s a beautiful view to wake up to and drink your coffee and eat breakfast looking at the gorgeous view. I do wish developers would build smaller homes like you mention sadly land is too valuable and they don’t care enough because there is not enough money in it for them to make sadly. It’s a great way for a young person to start building some financial equity. My wife bought the house where we live now for 176,000 back in 2016 and now these homes are going consistently for over 300k. One across the road from us got 350. Homes in my parents neighborhood went from upper 200s lower 300s to 450 to 500s which is insane. My parents home is currently in the 480s and they paid 110,000 in 1991 for it in October of that year. I was 4 years old when we moved from eastern goochland off of river road near lower tuckahoe to a neighborhood in henrico west end. That home now is somewhere around 750k and my parents sold it for 250k in 1991 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Downtowner said:

They are called either starter or empty nester homes. My wife and I have one now. Ours is 1400 square feet. We are moving into a 3500 square foot home on her parents farm in Winchester just south of town. So it’s going to be a big change. It’s 2000 acres and been part of a conservation easement agreement some of her Earlier relatives  signed it with the town of Winchester long long ago. The farm started in the 1880s I love it out there. Our home overlooks the main operation of our farm and the mountains and the valley. It’s a beautiful view to wake up to and drink your coffee and eat breakfast looking at the gorgeous view. I do wish developers would build smaller homes like you mention sadly land is too valuable and they don’t care enough because there is not enough money in it for them to make sadly. It’s a great way for a young person to start building some financial equity. My wife bought the house where we live now for 176,000 back in 2016 and now these homes are going consistently for over 300k. One across the road from us got 350. Homes in my parents neighborhood went from upper 200s lower 300s to 450 to 500s which is insane. My parents home is currently in the 480s and they paid 110,000 in 1991 for it in October of that year. I was 4 years old when we moved from eastern goochland off of river road near lower tuckahoe to a neighborhood in henrico west end. That home now is somewhere around 750k and my parents sold it for 250k in 1991 

Exactly, we're the empty nesters, have been that way all our lives.  Your setup in Winchester sounds like a really nice place and the environment like we think about. Our hope is to have a place to live near the Shenandoah National Park, preferably the central section.  This is the section between Route 33 that goes over the mountain to Harrisonburg and the Skyline Drive north to Route 211, which goes from Madison to Luray. We look around the valley's near here for land, homes, etc., but for now, we're just looking. We have lived in our small home since the mid 90's, preferring to live small and not buy a bigger home. Some reasons were, other than no children, was that with a larger home, it requires more everything, cost, taxes, furniture, heat, AC, upkeep, insurance, etc. but with this decision, we have a small home value.  We also don't want to sell and have a mortgage again.  Another thing with a smaller home, you can't "downsize" as many do.  For example, sell your 750K home and move into a 300K home, we're already in the 300K +/- home.  I should say, there are other 300K homes around where we look, but  they are older homes, fix up type.  I've done that where we live now and don't want to do it again. For now, it's fun to look around, consider options as we travel around the mountains after a hike, I really believe that someday we'll stumble into the right setup and we'll do it. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hike said:

Exactly, we're the empty nesters, have been that way all our lives.  Your setup in Winchester sounds like a really nice place and the environment like we think about. Our hope is to have a place to live near the Shenandoah National Park, preferably the central section.  This is the section between Route 33 that goes over the mountain to Harrisonburg and the Skyline Drive north to Route 211, which goes from Madison to Luray. We look around the valley's near here for land, homes, etc., but for now, we're just looking. We have lived in our small home since the mid 90's, preferring to live small and not buy a bigger home. Some reasons were, other than no children, was that with a larger home, it requires more everything, cost, taxes, furniture, heat, AC, upkeep, insurance, etc. but with this decision, we have a small home value.  We also don't want to sell and have a mortgage again.  Another thing with a smaller home, you can't "downsize" as many do.  For example, sell your 750K home and move into a 300K home, we're already in the 300K +/- home.  I should say, there are other 300K homes around where we look, but  they are older homes, fix up type.  I've done that where we live now and don't want to do it again. For now, it's fun to look around, consider options as we travel around the mountains after a hike, I really believe that someday we'll stumble into the right setup and we'll do it. 

Route 211 is so beautiful has some of my most favorite views of the mountains in the entire state of va. I’ve driven around Washington va which is on 211 and it is so pretty up that way. 

• Like 3

Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Energy is moving its headquarters from the Reynolds complex to Innsbrook after purchasing a pair of office buildings from Capital One.

I didn't realize BHE was HQ'd in RVA (in reading the RBS article, I do vaguely remember them acquiring Dominion Energy's natural gas operation in recent years). 

QUESTION: Does this (BHE) count as a major company/corporation HQ'd in Richmond separate and apart from Dominion Energy? (I'm guessing the answer is yes on that one). Wow - somehow I didn't realize Buffett actually has a stake in the RVA economy! Too bad they have only about 300 employees in the Richmond area - because Mr. Buffett is certainly a man whose pockets are more than deep enough to build us a lovely 60-plus story vanity tower (for his HQ) downtown! 

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/12/05/buffetts-berkshire-hathaway-buys-innsbrook-buildings-for-energy-hq/

10750and10700CapitalOneWayBerkshireHathaway-700x393.jpg

Screenshot (2530).png

Edited by I miss RVA

Some big doin's in Varina - the folks who built Brandermill and Woodlake are looking to build a 1,000 home development to be called "Arcadia" just east of 895 where it crosses Route 5 on 250 acres of farmland in Varina. It will be built in two sections - "Arcadia East" and "Arcadia West".  It will include traditional suburban single-family (detached) homes, townhouses and possibly condos. It would contain a central "park" area which is being envisioned as somewhat of an "urban farm" or "community garden"  and connections to the Virginia Capital Trail.  It will be designed as an urban village. If condos are included, they would be 3 or 4 stories tall and positioned closest to 895 transitioning to 2 to 3 story townhouses mainly in Arcadia West - with the bulk of single-family houses built in Arcadia East. No apartments will be built - and no more than 190 condos would be constructed.

Arcadia1-700x512.jpg

Arcadia2-700x467.jpg

Arcadia3-700x468.jpg

Arcadia4-700x363.jpg

Screenshot (2534).png

Screenshot (2535).png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Some big doin's in Varina - the folks who built Brandermill and Woodlake are looking to build a 1,000 home development to be called "Arcadia" just east of 895 where it crosses Route 5 on 250 acres of farmland in Varina. It will be built in two sections - "Arcadia East" and "Arcadia West".  It will include traditional suburban single-family (detached) homes, townhouses and possibly condos. It would contain a central "park" area which is being envisioned as somewhat of an "urban farm" or "community garden"  and connections to the Virginia Capital Trail.  It will be designed as an urban village. If condos are included, they would be 3 or 4 stories tall and positioned closest to 895 transitioning to 2 to 3 story townhouses mainly in Arcadia West - with the bulk of single-family houses built in Arcadia East. No apartments will be built - and no more than 190 condos would be constructed.

Arcadia1-700x512.jpg

Arcadia2-700x467.jpg

Arcadia3-700x468.jpg

Arcadia4-700x363.jpg

Screenshot (2534).png

Screenshot (2535).png

I just woke up and saw this and you beat me to the punch lmao.

I hope this pulls through as the county's east end is seriously lacking in a lot of things, and a big development like this can jump start some good things there. Expect the NIMBYs to come out in droves for this one.

• Like 1

Village clusters are probably the best bet for maintaining a rural feel but allowing for growth.   And while this site plan does better than most, I really can't stand when developers don't allow for future connections.  Eventually the other parcels will be redeveloped and it seems ridiculous to have to leave a neighborhood to go to the next. 

image.png.6d4de8d3f30dc2119602507c8e590d84.png

• Like 3

That’s kind of the trick, too, isn’t it? Unless you’re clued into the Laburnum/airport corridor, Pochahontas is going to be doing some heavy lifting in terms of connectivity with the greater region, but it’s so darn expensive.  I’m but a layman, and I’m no expert of this area either. but I don’t see this succeeding in the same sense that developments near Powhite or 288 or 64 have. Maybe a smaller one, but this would be a lot of people making the same choice every day. Consider me skeptical.

7 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Arcadia1-700x512.jpg

Arcadia2-700x467.jpg

Arcadia3-700x468.jpg

Arcadia4-700x363.jpg

Screenshot (2534).png

Screenshot (2535).png

I like that this is more of a walkable neighborhood rather than a bunch of cul-de-sacs.  We need more of this in suburban developments, and we're getting it to a degree but they are still largely enclaves where you have to go out to the main highway and leave to get to the next one.  they need to be better connected.

Everyone loves the Fan, I don't understand why they don't just start one of these by building city blocks, include some small retail on corners, etc...

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Another first for Goochland - Chick-Fil-A is coming to the county as Short Pump's red-hot westward spread pushes farther west. The new restaurant is planned just inside the northern-most reach of the 288 Beltway at the interchange with W. Broad Street (south of I-64) - as this area continues to grow. While is may be a very minor story at best - it does lend credence to something in the recent article in the Greater Greater Washington discussing the PULSE BRT westward extension to Short Pump - the article mentioned that GRTC might consider extending the local Route 19 bus into Goochland (with the PULSE line ending in Short Pump). If they were to do so (and it would require county approval, obviously) it would be the first true local bus route to reach into one of the six essentially rural outer suburban counties in the RVA metro. This kind of development (the Chick-Fil-A) is exactly what makes such a local bus route in the eastern-most part of the county make sense.

From today's RBS

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/12/16/goochland-to-get-its-first-chick-fil-a/

Screenshot (2627).png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

Another first for Goochland - Chick-Fil-A is coming to the county as Short Pump's red-hot westward spread pushes farther west. The new restaurant is planned just inside the northern-most reach of the 288 Beltway at the interchange with W. Broad Street (south of I-64) - as this area continues to grow. While is may be a very minor story at best - it does lend credence to something in the recent article in the Greater Greater Washington discussing the PULSE BRT westward extension to Short Pump - the article mentioned that GRTC might consider extending the local Route 19 bus into Goochland (with the PULSE line ending in Short Pump). If they were to do so (and it would require county approval, obviously) it would be the first true local bus route to reach into one of the six essentially rural outer suburban counties in the RVA metro. This kind of development (the Chick-Fil-A) is exactly what makes such a local bus route in the eastern-most part of the county make sense.

From today's RBS

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/12/16/goochland-to-get-its-first-chick-fil-a/

Screenshot (2627).png

This is very Goochland, build right on the county border and put most of the burden on the adjoining county. I travel through here to get on 288 and merge onto 64W to hit the hills. I can’t wait for the extra traffic, with my camper in tow, at an already tight squeeze to get on 288 right at this entrance. If I want my fix for their sandwich, which is good, I’ll still go to one of the other two within a couple miles or so of this one. 

6 minutes ago, Hike said:

This is very Goochland, build right on the county border and put most of the burden on the adjoining county. I travel through here to get on 288 and merge onto 64W to hit the hills. I can’t wait for the extra traffic, with my camper in tow, at an already tight squeeze to get on 288 right at this entrance. If I want my fix for their sandwich, which is good, I’ll still go to one of the other two within a couple miles or so of this one. 

There's one right IN Short Pump itself, no?

21 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

There's one right IN Short Pump itself, no?

There’s one in Short Pump Towne center, one on pump rd at broad and one past Gaskins on Broad all within 4 miles of our home, two within 2 miles and the one at 4 miles.

Edited by Hike
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

That, my friend, is a LOT of Chick-Fil-A!

I think it’s a cult, I’ll have their #1 chicken sandwich once every couple of months or so. That’s the breaded chicken, toasted with butter bun and pickles, also, the waffle fries.  It’s good, but at my age, can’t go too often or that’s a lot of extra miles on the trail to walk’em off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Flood Zone said:

It’s essentially the McDonald’s for kids these days, and they’ve mastered drive-thru volume. There’s always a market for it.

It’s impressive how they move people through their parking lots, that two line merge, pay the roving person at your car window before you even get up to the building, then, they tell you what car to get behind so you get the correct order at the window, yeah, that’s Merica’ now. I’d say that it’s also the McDonald’s for adults, yes, there are kids, but even more adults.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1