Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

7 hours ago, Wahoo 07 said:

Sauer planning 780-home mixed-use development near VCC - Richmond BizSense

Big development coming to VCC.  Combined with Green City, this could be the development of a major northern node for the metro.  

image.png.22efbcb1bb0d54bf9ec16755dd1427ee.png !!!!!!  This is absolutely spot on, @Wahoo 07 There's a LOT to like about this development, from a nice amount of residential density to a smart mix of business/commercial/retail/residential components to ESPECIALLY its location. It's a "long catty-corner" across the interchange of 95 and 295 from Green City - and by extension, when the two are taken together, they very well could form the foundation of a legit "beltway/edge city" in the northern suburbs. My biggest hope is that the Sauers' development will further energize discussions (and eventually plans and then ACTION) to bring the northern terminus of the much-anticipated and long-awaited north/south PULSE BRT line all the way to VCC – as well as some form of public transit to/from the new arena in Green City on game nights for college basketball games and tournaments as well as — hopefully — minor league hockey (which surely will return to Richmond when the new arena is built).

Check out a few of the particulars. (Note - the building renderings are only representative samples of the types/styles of architecture of the planned components - and are not actual renderings. Still - it's a nice mix and this development is a perfect fit for that northern suburban district.

SauerVCC-ftd-700x620.jpg

SauerVCC3-700x607.jpg

SauerVCC2-700x465.jpg

SauerVCC-map-700x450.jpg

Screenshot (2810).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

I like the note that some of the commercial buildings could top out at 110 feet. 

There’s a lot of talk about how this will fit with Green City.  That’s cool  and all but for now that’s just a bunch of trees.  What’s happening South down route 1 is more important to this development, IMO.  It’s actually being built as we speak…err type. It’s already highly visible from 95 and doesn’t appear to be even a 1/3 built out. It’s also closer to this Sauer site. 

Edited by Brent114
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Brent114 said:

I like the note that some of the commercial buildings could top out at 110 feet. 

There’s a lot of talk about how this will fit with Green City.  That’s cool  and all but for now that’s just a bunch of trees.  What’s happening South down route 1 is more important to this development, IMO.  It’s actually being built as we speak…err type. It’s already highly viable from 95 and doesn’t appear to be even a 1/3 built out. It’s also closer to this Sauer site. 

110 feet - that would work out to about nine stories, give or take (using 13-foot floor plates)

South down Route 1? 

Am I overlooking something? If you're talking about Virginia Center Commons - that's north of Green City.

Your point sparks a thought - makes me wonder if the Sauers' development will be long underway before the first shovel of dirt is turned at the Green City site. Much as I'm eager to see all of this come to pass (and come together into something cohesive for what could be something VERY exciting in this part of the metro -- particularly with the arena) - pragmatically speaking I have the feeling Green City will be a long time not just in the making but even just getting started. Hopefully I'm wrong - but I'm having a hard time getting my head around this project starting in 2023.

Edited by I miss RVA

South down route 1.

There’s a large housing development (I think over 500 housing units?) where one of those old motels used to be.  It’s not mixed use per se but there appear to be a few commercial lots fronting route 1.   It’s rows and rows of 4 story apartments and some single family homes too I believe.   There  are also few hundred units planned across the street where the Knight’s Inn is currently. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Brent114 said:

RIGHT!!!! I forgot about this one. Good call, @Brent114  it's almost directly across I-95 from Green City.

Here are a few snippets from their website. This is a very impressive development all the way around, and it's been underway for quite a while now - and it's really rolling.

Screenshot (2812).png

stanley1.jpg

Screenshot (2813).png

Screenshot (2814).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

So let's add another log to the roaring fire that is explosive development of RVA's northern suburbs. HCA is planning to construct a new 60-bed, acute-care hospital in south-central Hanover County - off of Sliding Hill Road.  The facility - HCA's first in Hanover - will be located just north of a red-hot swath of development in north-central Henrico County. It will be but a stone's throw from the new development at the former Virginia Center Commons as well as the proposed Sauers' mixed-use project immediately adjacent to VCC.

Down the road,this new hospital will further strengthen the synergy of the northern gateway into the metro -- helping to build a large swath of not-quite but almost continuous development stretching from the hospital to VCC to Sauers' to Green City to Stanley.

I'm particularly glad to see Hanover get this kind of new facility, given that the county's current estimated population just topped 113,000.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/01/06/hca-planning-new-233m-hospital-in-hanover-county/

hca-hospital-ashland-hanover-site-700x423.png

hca-hospital-ashland-hanover-plan-700x492.png

Screenshot (2815).png

Yeah, I’m liking this development. I can tell that this plot of land makes that whole area at that exit look totally desolate.  Putting a hospital there would make the place look and feel more like it’s in the metro area instead of in the middle of nowhere.  I just wish it was planned to be bigger…although they will have plenty of room to expand in the future. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Yeah, I’m liking this development. I can tell that this plot of land makes that whole area at that exit look totally desolate.  Putting a hospital there would make the place look and feel more like it’s in the metro area instead of in the middle of nowhere.  I just wish it was planned to be bigger…although they will have plenty of room to expand in the future. 

Guarantee you it'll expand over time. And it prolly won't take a whole lot of time for that to happen (meaning- they won't just build it and then not expand it for 20 years...)

5 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Dang it - I can’t keep all these projects straight.  Please remind me where and what project is Spring Rock Green. 

Same here - you can't tell the players without a dance card. From the standpoint of the sheer number of projects all going on at the same time, that's a VERY good problem for us to have! :tw_smiley:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

I just saw this fence Sunday.

It’s the development across from the old Cloverleaf Mall site.  Speaking of the old Cloverleaf Mall development, the elevator towers /stair wells are already built for the new hotel there. 

Thanks for the reminder!  I didn’t realize that project was starting already!  This is great news!  

A pair of Marriott-branded Residence Inn hotels are planned at opposite ends of the metro. Richmond-based Shamin Hotels is planning to develop one of the hotels at 500 W. Williamsburg Road in Sandston - across from the airport, just east of Airport Drive. Across town, Colonial Heights-based Sina Hospitality is planning to develop the other on southeast of Brandermill on Commonwealth Parkway, just outside the 288 beltway. 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/01/12/two-residence-inn-hotels-planned-on-opposite-sides-of-town/

RESIDENCE INN - SANDSTON

ShaminResidenceInn1-700x381.jpg

ShaminResidenceInn2-700x483.jpg

Screenshot (2835).png

RESIDENCE INN - COMMONWEALTH CENTER

SinaResidenceInn2-700x501.jpg

Screenshot (2836).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Hike said:

Went by the project on Cox Rd. this morning and stopped by to take a few pictures. This is a large project, much more than I thought it would have been.

@I miss RVAa crane picture for the new thread.

3500 West View

C4AD7032-96D9-4A57-A9B5-F7EAAF4C32E1.jpeg

3A28135D-60F2-4A09-8DE3-01F24B4CF0FA.jpeg

87FD9AE2-954B-4440-86B9-BE535914535A.jpeg

0029A508-A0AF-45DD-AC68-6A151C051C58.jpeg

915C55B8-E98A-4005-8DC6-24155A4F432D.jpeg

D0DF91D3-CA88-4A3C-8C53-6A604323AA84.jpeg

C151056C-98D6-4308-92BB-52E8CE9F5A98.jpeg

HOLY MOLY!! This is FANTASTIC!! Thanks @Hike for taking and posting these! This is FANTASTIC!

GREAT pictures! I'll definitely include this mini-tower crane in the next update on the cranes thread. :tw_thumbsup:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, eandslee said:

Quick video and pics of the Henrico Sports event center construction at VCC. 

https://www.henricocitizen.com/articles/henrico-county-sports-and-event-center-now-under-roof/

This is awesome!! I'm impressed with the amount of progress that's been made. It's coming together nicely and it'll be a great asset to the northern suburbs in particular and the RVA metro as a whole.

On 12/6/2022 at 1:53 AM, I miss RVA said:

Some big doin's in Varina - the folks who built Brandermill and Woodlake are looking to build a 1,000 home development to be called "Arcadia" just east of 895 where it crosses Route 5 on 250 acres of farmland in Varina. It will be built in two sections - "Arcadia East" and "Arcadia West".  It will include traditional suburban single-family (detached) homes, townhouses and possibly condos. It would contain a central "park" area which is being envisioned as somewhat of an "urban farm" or "community garden"  and connections to the Virginia Capital Trail.  It will be designed as an urban village. If condos are included, they would be 3 or 4 stories tall and positioned closest to 895 transitioning to 2 to 3 story townhouses mainly in Arcadia West - with the bulk of single-family houses built in Arcadia East. No apartments will be built - and no more than 190 condos would be constructed.

Arcadia1-700x512.jpg

Arcadia2-700x467.jpg

Arcadia3-700x468.jpg

Arcadia4-700x363.jpg

Screenshot (2534).png

Screenshot (2535).png

A scaled-down version of this development pass the Henrico County Board of Supervisors. Due to (go figure) NIMBY pushback (including Joe Morrissey - WOWWW!!!) the development has been slashed from 1,000 units to 800 - of which 550 will be developed over the next seven years with the remainder to NOT be built until 2030 at the earliest. Also - all access to this community from Route 5 has been eliminated.

Whooo boy... while it's great news that the project is going forward - it just stinks that it got truncated. Ugh...  And it was not truncated by financial considerations, the economy, construction costs, inflation, fears of recession, RVA's still-not-large-enough market size problem... NO... the truncation was caused 100-freakin'-percent by effing NIMBY PUSHBACK.

Yeah - sorry fellas, I'm in one of those moods today. Between this and City Council's caving on amendments to the R-300 plan, it's just a bit too much NIMBY pushback for my liking. DON'T TRUNCATE MY CITY'S/METRO'S GROWTH, GOSH DARN IT!! 😡:tw_joy:

Okay - I gotta calm down - my BP is doing some not-so-lovely things from all of this. 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/01/25/henrico-approves-scaled-down-arcadia-project-in-varina/

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

Nice little ground-up development is set to get underway in Hanover east of Ashland, with 18 homes built on 10-acre lots on a 215-acre site. Lots of land - so no doubt, it will combine country living with some of the aspects of suburbia. 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/01/27/homebuilder-planning-10-acre-lots-on-215-acre-site-near-ashland/

Boone-Hanover-1.jpg

Screenshot (2898).png

Screenshot (2899).png

Edited by I miss RVA