Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

Quick questions: Can someone possibly tell me what's going with Stairview village behind Stonebridge, and what's happened to the proposed hotel? Everything across the turnpike by the Spring Rock Green has fencing up, and wanted to the progress of those two things. 
Links: 
Chesterfield planners endorse plan to build up to 1,250 housing units around shopping center at former Cloverleaf Mall (richmond.com)
Shamin Hotels Moving Forward with Upscale Hotel and Conference Center at Stonebridge - Chesterfield Business News

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like there's finally some movement on a big mixed-use project near Chester that's been in the pipeline for several years. The developer of the proposed Courthouse Landing project at the interchange of Route 10 and the 288 beltway has finalized purchase of the site. Chesterfield approved rezoning for the property in mid-2020. VCU Health will anchor the development, that will include apartments, commercial and office space and a hotel. RBS is reporting that ground breaking is scheduled for this spring.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/02/13/courthouse-landing-project-site-sells-for-7m/

courthouse1-700x422.png

Screenshot (3048).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Looks like there's finally some movement on a big mixed-use project near Chester that's been in the pipeline for several years. The developer of the proposed Courthouse Landing project at the interchange of Route 10 and the 288 beltway has finalized purchase of the site. Chesterfield approved rezoning for the property in mid-2020. VCU Health will anchor the development, that will include apartments, commercial and office space and a hotel. RBS is reporting that ground breaking is scheduled for this spring.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/02/13/courthouse-landing-project-site-sells-for-7m/

courthouse1-700x422.png

Screenshot (3048).png

Nice!  Good to see this one begin to move. Lots of legal hurdles to get this one approved. It’s still very suburban in nature (just look at all those parking lots!), but it fills a gap of land between 288 and the county government center, so I’ll take it. 

Edit:  it wasn’t a bunch of legal issues…it was more issues with getting the land-use stuff approved. They had to keep going back to the drawing board and seemed as if the developer was going to just walk away at one point. Glad things are working out…albeit with another developer. 

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, eandslee said:

Nice!  Good to see this one begin to move. Lots of legal hurdles to get this one approved. It’s still very suburban in nature (just look at all those parking lots!), but it fills a gap of land between 288 and the county government center, so I’ll take it. 

Edit:  it wasn’t a bunch of legal issues…it was more issues with getting the land-use stuff approved. They had to keep going back to the drawing board and seemed as if the developer was going to just walk away at one point. Glad things are working out…albeit with another developer. 

Makes me wonder if at some point soon we might see some development - particularly along Courthouse Road - west of Route 10 as far west as they can go before getting "too close" to Pocahontas State Park? Lots of undeveloped land there - is any kept in reserve as a "buffer" around the park?

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

Had anyone heard of this huge “miss” before?  See the linked article below, specifically, the last paragraph:

https://www.grpva.com/news/chesterfield-henrico-2-other-va-localities-vie-for-semiconductor-chip-sites/

Virginia is way behind states like Arizona, Texas, and Ohio,  Virginia’s answer:  Upper Magnolia Green in Chesterfield.  Rumor has it that another chip manufacturer could be knocking on the door. Got to get this going ASAP!

• Like 2

On 2/15/2023 at 10:54 PM, Child2021 said:

Henrico Plaza development continues at a rapid pace.... this week it's adding an elevator casing to the portion that is facing Mechanicsville Turnpike, rest of the pseudo "Urban complex" continues to be worked on at an outrageous speed.   

20230219_113009.jpg

20230219_113006.jpg

20230219_113004.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Lego to hire 500 people by year’s end and will start production in a temporary facility soon too!  The new factory should be open for business by the second half of 2025.

https://www.virginiabusiness.com/article/lego-to-hire-500-chesterfield-employees-by-years-end/

My company is doing the electrical side of the temp structure at Walthall. I was there for a couple of days before I got moved out to Charlottesville. They were rolling we had to wait for material to come in. We are already pushed back to early November here in Charlottesville. Doing a project that makes armored weaponized drones for the military. We were supposed to be done in June but certain materials we need we can’t get until October because they are made in China and Mexico. Siemens which we use there switch gears is on back order for months and months. Same goes for breakers. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eandslee said:

Lego to hire 500 people by year’s end and will start production in a temporary facility soon too!  The new factory should be open for business by the second half of 2025.

https://www.virginiabusiness.com/article/lego-to-hire-500-chesterfield-employees-by-years-end/

Definitely good news - and a solid start to the new factory! it's startin' to get darn awful excitin' around these parts!

• Like 1

BizSense is reporting that a "mystery" corporation is planning a 2-story, 124,000 sf distribution center off of Villa Park, nicknamed "Project Nourish".   All the tells (nickname, neon green, grocer on the building) scream this is Amazon Fresh/Go.  That only gives more weight to the "new to the market, mystery grocers" opening up around town.

ProjectNourish1.jpg

ProjectNourish2.jpg

ProjectNourish3.jpg

image.png.97d7c9bf57e3197437220fd1c12d903c.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, rjp212 said:

BizSense is reporting that a "mystery" corporation is planning a 2-story, 124,000 sf distribution center off of Villa Park, nicknamed "Project Nourish".   All the tells (nickname, neon green, grocer on the building) scream this is Amazon Fresh/Go.  That only gives more weight to the "new to the market, mystery grocers" opening up around town.

ProjectNourish1.jpg

ProjectNourish2.jpg

ProjectNourish3.jpg

image.png.97d7c9bf57e3197437220fd1c12d903c.png

Definitely a big add, particularly for that part of the county. I'm curious if this might add any weight to the push to bring the north/south PULSE BRT line right up Route 1 all the way to VCC? I'm sure most workers there will likely drive - and the location is a bit of a schlep from Route 1 (and where would the PULSE station be?) -- still - EVERY development along the Route 1/Brook Road corridor in this part of the county just adds to the "it just makes sense" to build the PULSE line to VCC.

• Like 1

The articles been corrected, but what a horrible editing job.   Also how does this statement automatically equal Whole Foods?

While highlighting new bike lanes that would be built as part of that mixed-use development, Allen put the plan of development on screen — still labeled as “Major Tenant X” — and said, “This is the Amazon grocery store.””

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

The articles been corrected, but what a horrible editing job.   Also how does this statement automatically equal Whole Foods?

While highlighting new bike lanes that would be built as part of that mixed-use development, Allen put the plan of development on screen — still labeled as “Major Tenant X” — and said, “This is the Amazon grocery store.””

Oops!  :whistling:

Amazon owns Whole Foods...but also Amazon Fresh...so which is it?

Edited by eandslee

9 hours ago, Child2021 said:

Well look at what I found here.
image.thumb.png.370a75701f15e74f69c828b035e5a6cf.png

Link: 5b47e368-a2a2-4cd0-b751-af94dbcbe3bf (windows.net)

Unfortunately that is old and the Office Building (Circle #5) is going to be apartments.   I believe Star #5 is still in the works but down the road.  You can find more details under the Libbie Mill forum.

• Like 1

Another WIN for metro Richmond - this time in fast-growing Hanover County. The Winding Brook development on Lakeridge Parkway - just west of I-95 and south of Lewistown Road will be the home of a 552,000 sq ft warehouse for Genpak - a food packaging group owned by a Canadian-based conglomerate, the Jim Pattinson Group. Winding Brook -- which includes a large Bass Pro Shops as well as hotels - has been in development since 2006. Construction of the warehouse moves the overall development closer to completion. According to Mike's reporting, a 13-acre parcel remains undeveloped, and plans for the parcel are not clear at this time.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/02/22/bass-pro-anchored-winding-brook-entering-home-stretch-after-new-warehouse-deal/

Winding-Brook-genpak-site-700x525.jpg

winding-brook-woodspring-700x467.jpg

Screenshot (3073).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Updates to the story now include a rendering. That's definitely a Whole Foods.

image.png.cb2ed186c26dd4ece303c854534aa9a3.png

• Like 1