Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

Thanks worldcoupe, Cadeho, Burt & all. No, I'm not Edward Sinnott, but thanks anyway, I consider that a compliment! The only other building I can recall that Sinnot designed was Trolley Square, a 1960s highrise on W. Franklin Street near the Jefferson. I wouldn't be surprised if he designed some of the art deco businesses on W. Grace - I will spend some time researching this weekend.

What an atrocious name, Trolley Square!! Where, out of the blue, did it come from? And creative, I hope you realize that I didn't call you Edward. I tried to gloss and finesse it over after Guy's (urbanva's) post.

I hope you are talking about Lexington Tower and not the other misnamed Trolley apartment building formerly called Franklin Tower in the 300 block of West Franklin. Sinnott surely would not have put his name to that!

Edited by burt

What an atrocious name, Trolley Square!! Where, out of the blue, did it come from? And creative, I hope you realize that I didn't call you Edward. I tried to gloss and finesse it over after Guy's (urbanva's) post.

I realize that, Burt. Just having a little fun.

I hope you are talking about Lexington Tower and not the other misnamed Trolley apartment building formerly called Franklin Tower in the 300 block of West Franklin. Sinnott surely would not have put his name to that!

Trolley Square is at 104 W. Franklin. It is quite typical of its era. Check out these comments on apartment life there......

http://www.apartmentreviews.net/ratings/va...-square4114.htm

This appears to be a mid-60s high rise, much later than his mid 20s - early 40s work. It's possible that his firm designed it....anyone have his life dates?

Edited by creativeclass

I realize that, Burt. Just having a little fun.

Trolley Square is at 104 W. Franklin. It is quite typical of its era. Check out these comments on apartment life there......

http://www.apartmentreviews.net/ratings/va...-square4114.htm

This appears to be a mid-60s high rise, much later than his mid 20s - early 40s work. It's possible that his firm designed it....anyone have his life dates?

104 W. Franklin originally was called Lexington Towers (yes, plural). In fact I lived there for about a year in the mid- 60s. It had a swimming pool on the roof and a very nice restaurant on the top floor. It was built shortly after the Berkshire in the 300 block of West Franklin and was considered a quality building.

It's directly across the street from The Jefferson and has about 16 stories.

No, I don't know Sinnott's life span, but will check around. :)

I'm still puzzled as to why they would change a nice name like Lexington to Trolley Square. What do you suppose the new name signifies? Also, a rather ugly (IMO) portico has been added at the Franklin Street entrance.

Edited by burt

:lol: you guys have me confused now....

There is a tower called Trolley Square at 104 W. Franklin, designed by Sinnott and built in 1965. It is 17 stories.

There's also the Lexington Apartments at 311 W. Franklin that was designed by Marcellus Wright and built in 1965. It was originally known as The Franklin Towers....

So I assume yall are referring to the first one, right?

btw... both could use a facelift...

:lol: you guys have me confused now....

There is a tower called Trolley Square at 104 W. Franklin, designed by Sinnott and built in 1965. It is 17 stories.

There's also the Lexington Apartments at 311 W. Franklin that was designed by Marcellus Wright and built in 1965. It was originally known as The Franklin Towers....

So I assume yall are referring to the first one, right?

btw... both could use a facelift...

311 W. Franklin (originally called Franklin Tower and next door to the Raddison Hotel) I think is called Trolley Square West, or something equally silly. Lexington Towers was the original name of 104 W. Franklin across from the Jefferson and I certainly hope they have not shifted that name to 311. :(

The Henrico Planning Commission has given its approval for West Broad Village, a new urban style center which one lawyer for the firm regrettably described as "It's The Fan without the crime and the parking problems". A very tactless comment, to say the least.

Unicorp National Development out of Orlando will build the project. It will contain 1000 residential units, 600,000 s/f of commercial (probably mid to high rise) and a 150 to 250 room hotel on 113 acres west of I-64 in the Short Pump/Innsbrook area. The cost, according to news reports, is estimated to be in excess of $1 billion.

Edited by burt

The Henrico Planning Commission has given its approval for West Broad Village, a new urban style center which one lawyer for the firm regrettably described as "It's The Fan without the crime and the parking problems". A very tactless comment, to say the least.

Unicorp National Development out of Orlando will build the project. It will contain 1000 residential units, 600,000 s/f of commercial (probably mid to high rise) and a 150 to 250 room hotel on 113 acres west of I-64 in the Short Pump/Innsbrook area. The cost, according to news reports, is estimated to be in excess of $1 billion.

Another highrise for Richmond. This is great news. :thumbsup: How close will this be to the downtown area?

Another highrise for Richmond. This is great news. :thumbsup: How close will this be to the downtown area?

No where near downtown...in fact, this development will be located in the far west end of town. I'm not quite sure it will include a highrise, but it will probably contain buildings that are about 5-8 stories is my guess. No significant renderings of any detail have been released, so until then its hard to speculate.

No where near downtown...in fact, this development will be located in the far west end of town. I'm not quite sure it will include a highrise, but it will probably contain buildings that are about 5-8 stories is my guess. No significant renderings of any detail have been released, so until then its hard to speculate.

They've shown some on the news. Short Pump is on the edge of the Earth... and I wish it'd get so heavy it'd fall off! This project is not beneficial to Richmond City at all.

Here is the master plan. Maps included..... http://www.co.henrico.va.us/planning/2006/feb06/p-2-06.pdf

Basically, across Broad Street from the Short Pump Home Depot and Target.

Edited by Culpeper Hokie

Wow.... I'm not sure how i feeel about Henrico having office buildings up to 260ft tall...at least this project seems to be a smarter use of space than most of the projects that have been built out there..

I don't have any objection to the 260 foot height allowance, but I detest its address - West Broad Village, SHORT PUMP, Virginia.

They seem to be going out of their way to slur Richmond - first, the comments about the Fan, and now this outright rejection of the City. :angry:

I don't have any objection to the 260 foot height allowance, but I detest its address - West Broad Village, SHORT PUMP, Virginia.

They seem to be going out of their way to slur Richmond - first, the comments about the Fan, and now this outright rejection of the City. :angry:

What did I tell you! :angry:

And Hokie... quick... climb back to the city where it's stable, safe, and genuine.

Watkins Centre could be approved by week's end...

It may be a hot contender for Mead/Westvaco. So might Centre Point and West Creek (the very wealthy Mr. Goodwin owns big chunks of each).

Somehow, I don't see M/WV going to eastern Henrico as someone suggested.

I wish Mayor Wilder would lobby for downtown (maybe he is!).

Can't wait til Renaissance's projects update on March 2nd!

• 3 weeks later...

Innsbrook Area- Im bringing this forum back with an update from the Far West End. Twin Hickory Town Center is getting a Starbucks and Blockbuster. New housing developments including townhomes and apartments are leading to the expansion of Twin Hickory. Hickory Park, a new office park by Innsbrook and Twin Hickory is well under way. Leasing should begin this summer. Pouncey Place, a new shopping center will soon have its ground breaking as well.

Short Pump Area- No signs of contruction of the West Broad Village, but there were surveyors out there today. A new shopping center is being built west of Short Pump Town Center Mall. This will be called West Town Center and will consist of a new strip mall. Park place is finally finished with shops and restaurants already occupying it. Bowl America had its grand opening a few weeks ago.

Its where I live. I care about it as much as I do Richmond. Those statements about Short Pump area having a "fan" type district will never be like the Fan downtown. I hate when people act like Short Pump is on the edge of the Earth. Its a part of the Richmond Metro. We will never rival downtown. This area is simply a place of suburban sprawl that Richmond should use as a "welcome mat" of development. Not used in the sense of stepping on as well <_<

Edited by RVA_tommy

Its where I live. I care about it as much as I do Richmond. Those statements about Short Pump area having a "fan" type district will never be like the Fan downtown. I hate when people act like Short Pump is on the edge of the Earth. Its a part of the Richmond Metro. We will never rival downtown. This area is simply a place of suburban sprawl that Richmond should use as a "welcome mat" of development. Not used in the sense of stepping on as well <_<

Good for you, Tommy! Nobody likes to have their home turf kicked around. Without Short Pump, Innsbrook, West Creek and other suburban developments Richmond would be a hollow place indeed! :)

Edited by burt

Tommy I don't mean any disrespect, but nobody lives in Short Pump, Va. You live in Glen Allen, Va. There's a dot on the map on Mechanicsville Tnpk in Henrico named Springdale, but its Richmond. Varina is a dot on the map and it is Richmond. Short Pump ceased to excist as a dot on the map about 10 years ago. It's a developer's paradise now. Innsbrook and West Creek can survive without it and did for years.

But Tommy, it IS the edge of the Earth to me. I can take a trip to Ashland for the same amount of time it'd take me to get there. Since I stopped working there, I have no need to go. I hardly visit a friend in Colonial Heights because it is almost like going to another state. Even where I work now takes a half hour and Chester is off my map too. Midlothian's a daytrip. Eventhough I love Varina, it's so out of the way. I'm amazed you can make it downtown; others out there would rather stay there. I'm glad you like our little city although there's hardly anything left that'd really draw crowds (despite all the projects).

I'd be fine with Short Pump if it wasn't so overrated and praised as if it is the new city. It's not just another suburb. People have given it its own identity to make it seem like it is its own autonomous placename on the map. Glen Allen and Highland Springs are unincorporated towns with their own zip codes, is that what they're creating with Short Pump? Well in doing that, the developers and media should not give it all the hype of being better than the city as they do now. Treat it as a suburb and it will be a suburb, but for now it's New Richmond.

Now downtown is within 10 minutes from me. Where can I buy a dvd or cd there? What if I want a computer or tv? Can I even get any electronics there? No market I guess. Only suburbanites buy those or are rich enough to. I think I've found a bookstore, so I can't complain about that. What if I wanted a suit or any clothes to fit me? I used to love Jefferson when it was on Marshall. Can one buy anything other than a souvenir of some sort downtown? Nothing to survive? Heck I'd like to see a Wendy's or Burger King grow the balls McDonalds had but the only one left is in MCV and before that one, there were none after the one at Henry and Broad and the one in the 700 block of Broad closed! Bravo to Subway and Quizno's though opening on Main, but I bet they're just for the weekday work corwd only. The clubs, furniture stores, restaurants are all novelties. DC has chain restaurants in its downtown, and I mean like the suburban ones. For some reason nobody wants any chain (oh especially not a department store!) in the city because they can just go to Short Pump, Mechanicsville, or Midlothian, far out for city residents... probably for the better.

New York is a giant downtown and it has everything. People go on weekend shopping trips there from here. But downtown Richmond will never be a shopping destination ever again because of places like Short Pump stealing its air. Instead, it has to be a boutique... some funky, wacky, cool, but seriously dangerous place to show off to visitors. We have all these residents supposedly coming in supporting $1000 rents but they can't get any conveniences. All the condos, rowhouses, redevelopment is good, but there is no REAL retail. Their idea of retail is some upstart restaurant or oddball knickknack store. If it weren't for Johnny Johnson we'd have no grocery stores. He at least opened that door. There were plenty of "convenience" stores like Lucky's and 7-Eleven. But we are the door mat despite all the trophies. What have Henrico and Chesterfield done on their end of the deal giving lost revenue to the city because of the freeze? No one's checking into that. Right now they're pocketing 100% of what is made inside their own limits. While the city really doesn't have space for any of the large things developers just love to create and everything's so much cheaper... so on and so on.

Forget it. You win. The suburbs are the lifeblood of this city and it wouldn't exist without them. They literally brought the city to its knees and nearly stomped out its life force. I'm not saying we shouldn't have them, Burt. I'm saying we need to stop yacking about Short Pump as if its something everyone must drop what they're doing and make their way to it... oh except if you don't make between $50,000 and $250,000 a year and have a raggedy car. "We don't like the downtown that exists, so let's make one of our own that's much better and will actually attract people." I wish a pox on the original developers who had that idea. In 1998, that is when I began to hate Short Pump. I wasn't too happy when they demolished what was instead of preserving. My hatred for Short Pump is years deep and nothing is going to change it until it is totally wiped off the face of this planet, because it keeps getting worse and worse as they twist that knife. The hatred is eternal, because that won't happen.

So, Tommy, no I have nothing against you for living out there, but if you know any of Short Pump's developers, best not introduce me to them or I'd be on national news. We need to concentrate on the inner ring, the older suburbs and make them the best they can be. No I don't hate suburbs; I am even eying Varina if I were to ever build my monument to myself. I even want to create my own town... but it must not be a blood-sucker of any city. I hope you see it is not a hatred of all suburbs or that I hate people who live out there, but what it represents I don't like and all the fuss and hype is not worth what is actually there.

Welcome mat of development? So you're saying the city proper is unworthy of having its own anything? Well you may not think that, but the real powers out there do. Talk about having home turf kicked, our turf is riddled with pocks.

Edited by Cadeho