Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

Really glad to see this development coming together. This facility in the northern suburbs and the planned twin hockey rinks -- part of the Spring Rock Green redevelopment at Midlo & Chippenham in the near southwest suburbs -- will "bookend" the RVA metro two outstanding local/regional facilities that will not only benefit their adjacent communities but could serve to draw a multitude of regional/national events (as we're already seeing with the bookings at the Henrico facility). These will serve as a great compliment to the larger "professional"-level sports facilities of an arena at Green City and the ballpark in the Diamond District. BIG wins for metro Richmond!

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

More good things coming to new Henrico Sports & Events Center, slated to open in the spring of 2024. The Virginia Sports Hall of Fame is planning to to place a permanent exhibit at the new facility. The exhibit will highlight achievements and contributions of outstanding athletes, coaches, members of the media, etc., from around the Commonwealth. The regional exhibit will be the first for the VSHOF.

From this week's Henrico Citizen:

https://www.henricocitizen.com/articles/virginia-sports-hall-of-fame-to-open-exhibit-at-henrico-sports-events-center/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2023 at 9:23 AM, I miss RVA said:

Speaking of the Spring Rock Green redevelopment - today's RBS details that the first office building planned for this new complex already has a major tenant - Chesterfield Public Schools and the county's economic development office are planning to set up shop in the first of several buildings slated to rise, occupying about 75,000 sq feet. Also part of the first phase of development is a 300-unit apartment buildings that will include ground-floor retail and integrated (deck) parking.

Demolition of the former shopping center has been well under way. Really glad to see this project moving forward.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/04/27/county-offices-among-first-tenants-lined-up-for-spring-rock-green-redevelopment/

springline-district-60-rendering-celebration-street-e1679339264605.jpg

springline-spring-rock-demolition-april-2023-1536x1024.jpg

FOLLOW UP and UPDATE to the Spring Rock Green development: Timmons Group will relocate their headquarters from Boulders Park to the new office building mentioned in the previous RBS story and will share said building with Chesterfield Public Schools. Timmons Group will be the developer for the building itself, according to today's RBS story.

Here's the updated article from today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/05/09/timmons-to-build-new-hq-at-spring-rock-green-redevelopment/

• Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 3:10 PM, I miss RVA said:

So let's add another log to the roaring fire that is explosive development of RVA's northern suburbs. HCA is planning to construct a new 60-bed, acute-care hospital in south-central Hanover County - off of Sliding Hill Road.  The facility - HCA's first in Hanover - will be located just north of a red-hot swath of development in north-central Henrico County. It will be but a stone's throw from the new development at the former Virginia Center Commons as well as the proposed Sauers' mixed-use project immediately adjacent to VCC.

Down the road,this new hospital will further strengthen the synergy of the northern gateway into the metro -- helping to build a large swath of not-quite but almost continuous development stretching from the hospital to VCC to Sauers' to Green City to Stanley.

I'm particularly glad to see Hanover get this kind of new facility, given that the county's current estimated population just topped 113,000.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/01/06/hca-planning-new-233m-hospital-in-hanover-county/

hca-hospital-ashland-hanover-site-700x423.png

hca-hospital-ashland-hanover-plan-700x492.png

Screenshot (2815).png

Jack Jacobs has new reporting in today's RBS on HCA 's proposed medical facility in Hanover County, which was first announced this past January. The plans filed with the county planning commission show that the development will include an 80K sq ft office building, as well as "an outparcel for commercial or civic uses", a parcel set aside for a second office building and space to expand what will be constructed as a 60-bed hospital into a 150-bed hospital down the road as needed. The planning commission will review the proposal on July 20th, according to Jacks' reporting. The process will also include a public hearing. If approved, it will go before the county Board of Supervisors at some point later this year. No word yet on when the Virginia Department of Health will make a decision regarding approval of HCA's application with the state agency, a pre-requisite for this development.

INTERESTING NOTES: HCA is seeking approval from the county to build as tall as 58 feet (5-stories) and a helicopter landing pad.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/05/15/medical-office-buildings-commercial-space-included-in-hcas-hanover-hospital-plan/

hca-hanover-hospital-rendering.png

hca-hanover-hospital-site-plan-march-2023.png

Screenshot (222).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

Wow! Big development announced near Rockwood in Chesterfield.

420 units and it seems to be pretty urban in nature. Frontage right onto Hull should hopefully start to make rt. 360 feel alittle less suburban in this area. Hopefully more of these style developments to come in Chesterfield.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/05/19/local-builder-planning-hundreds-of-townhomes-apartments-in-rockwood-area-of-chesterfield/

image.png

Great to see this density coming to this part of the county. Hopefully this, along with other suburban projects that are getting underway in the vicinity of the 288 beltway in Chesterfield, will serve as impetus to getting the PULSE line established there.

Here's the development location, relative to the 360 corridor inside of 288.  The more this stretch of 360 fills up, the more push there will be for the PULSE line to be developed on this corridor.

Screenshot (233).png

• Like 2

Looks like the planned conversion of the old Glenwood Golf Course into a suburban-style subdivision of 290 single family homes is ready to roll. The developer has closed on the property and all of the paperwork had been filed with the county for approvals, etc. last year. Density is moderate - but the houses do seem to be pretty neatly packed together. Glad to see that corner of the county (with a sliver of the property in the city) densifying.

PERSONAL NOTE:  I played Glenwood countless times in the '80s and '90s - it was a great course and I absolutely loved it.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/05/25/25m-glenwood-golf-course-redevelopment-a-go-after-3m-land-deal/

9.22R-Glenwood-Site-Plan-Revised (1).png

Screenshot (246).png

• Like 3

This will be an interesting case to follow to see how it plays out. So apparently NIMBY kvetching resulted in the Hanover BOS rejecting a developer's rezoning request for a parcel in the southwestern part of the county, near the Hanover-Henrico county line. What I find interesting is that the supervisor for that district even admitted during the BOS meeting at which the request was denied that the developer's request was within the framework of the county's comprehensive land-use plan and -- at least according to the plaintiffs, since it meets specific criteria, should be allowed. The supervisor countered at the BOS meeting, however, that there were "technical" issues with the request, bringing the "character" card into play.

Because the NIMBYs kvetched - the supervisors voted for stasis. Interestingly, the county planning board ALSO voted against the project, but apparently not based on any definable lack of merit on the part of the developers or project (meaning, there was nothing out of line with county land-use guidelines). Seems that it's simply a case of "we don't want it, no matter what - and there's nothing the developer to do or change or tweak that will satisfy us - because we simply don't want it - period."

There were (as of this time) only two comments to this article - but the second comment hit the nail on the head, saying : "Too many people purchase property zoned in a way that allows for future development nearby then they get mad when developments come in."

He also said - and I believe correctly so, that there is a legitimate concern about the changeover of the rural character of a given area, "but you also cannot insist, as a resident, that once you live somewhere nothing else can be built."

Unfortunately, far too many on the NIMBY side of things think they have some divinely-ordained right to kibosh any and all future development, regardless of whether it impedes upon a fellow land-owner's rights and ability to develop their land as they see fit, within certain defined parameters. I like what the commenter said regarding this mindset: "If the zoning is changed after they bought the home then that, unfortunately, is the price they pay to live in a functioning society."

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/06/02/developer-sues-hanover-supervisors-after-residential-project-rejected/

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

Hanover only wants warehouses everywhere apparently.  The county planners there have no idea what they’re doing clearly.  Take Winding Brook for example;  throw it and see what sticks. No rhyme or reason for anything in the Ashland area. It’s actually quite impressive if you think about it!

• Like 1

You both make good points. These places practice in the opposite of forward, they wish to stay put and "conserve" what they have at the cost of everyone else. Funny enough, these types are usually the first to vote on repealing things like the Clean Water Act and other environmental regulations that directly help them, their land, their county, and even can be served as a tool to stifle future development - environmental regulation is one of the best ways to preserve land from development. It's less "conserve it" and more of "I want my way" under the disguise of conserving something or "small government" buzzwords. Still waiting on this to somehow be blamed on trans youth and drag queens...

With time, these things will change. Unfortunately, sometimes it means that the mentality literally has to die out for progress and new ideas to be implemented. Sad but true... and they can do lasting damage even after their time - just look at the highway systems all across America and how it was used as  weapon against minorities and is still a problem today.

Let's hope the court overrides this. It's silly use of tax payer funds. 

Edited by ancientcarpenter
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, skinsfan said:

Hanover only wants warehouses everywhere apparently.  The county planners there have no idea what they’re doing clearly.  Take Winding Brook for example;  throw it and see what sticks. No rhyme or reason for anything in the Ashland area. It’s actually quite impressive if you think about it!

They are working on a new master plan right now that will address warehouse development. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JSI said:

A new apartment complex (Triton Glen) at the corner of Nuckols and Sadler appears to be wrapping up. Not a huge fan, the exterior design already seems dated.

https://www.tritonglen.com

IMG_7343.jpg

Thanks, @JSIfor taking and posting the photo. Great picture. Wonder if this is a stand-alone or if there is more construction associated with this project?

• Like 1

On 6/3/2023 at 8:50 AM, ancientcarpenter said:

You both make good points. These places practice in the opposite of forward, they wish to stay put and "conserve" what they have at the cost of everyone else. Funny enough, these types are usually the first to vote on repealing things like the Clean Water Act and other environmental regulations that directly help them, their land, their county, and even can be served as a tool to stifle future development - environmental regulation is one of the best ways to preserve land from development. It's less "conserve it" and more of "I want my way" under the disguise of conserving something or "small government" buzzwords. Still waiting on this to somehow be blamed on trans youth and drag queens...

With time, these things will change. Unfortunately, sometimes it means that the mentality literally has to die out for progress and new ideas to be implemented. Sad but true... and they can do lasting damage even after their time - just look at the highway systems all across America and how it was used as  weapon against minorities and is still a problem today.

Let's hope the court overrides this. It's silly use of tax payer funds. 

Probably, but NIMBYISM  is not exclusive to the right. The progressive line fights development on similar environmental grounds - maybe  just more sincerely. Couple that with anti-corporatist and other shades of economic populism in those camps and the mindset is equally stacked against progress in the built environment.  Whether they come from Hanover or from the Historic Jackson Ward association, these arguments tend to boil down to the same parochial prejudices

And with time I hope so  - but being open to development and market urbanism is something I'm not seeing really ascendant in either the right or left nationally. YIMBYism and an awareness of over-regulation in land use is becoming somewhat of a niche interest but hasn't really gained the groundswell traction we need. We have to do a better job connecting the dots  between land use, affordability, and economic dynamism. And that message needs to be brought equally to blue Richmond as it does to red Hanover.

Edited by whw53
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, whw53 said:

Whether they come from Hanover or from the Historic Jackson Ward association, these arguments tend to boil down to the same parochial prejudices

We have to do a better job connecting the dots  between land use, affordability, and economic dynamism. And that message needs to be brought equally to blue Richmond as it does to red Hanover.

1.) Good point. In layman's terms - the arguments come down to what my mother (may her memory be for a blessing) always referred to as "Me, Myself and I - the three most important people on the face of God's green earth."

2.) Hopefully RVA is getting a better handle on this concept. She's becoming an amazing, dynamic city, metro and region, and - thankfully - is doing many other the things her chief rivals have been doing developmentally for, in some cases, several decades.

12 hours ago, whw53 said:

Probably, but NIMBYISM  is not exclusive to the right. The progressive line fights development on similar environmental grounds - maybe  just more sincerely. Couple that with anti-corporatist and other shades of economic populism in those camps and the mindset is equally stacked against progress in the built environment.  Whether they come from Hanover or from the Historic Jackson Ward association, these arguments tend to boil down to the same parochial prejudices

And with time I hope so  - but being open to development and market urbanism is something I'm not seeing really ascendant in either the right or left nationally. YIMBYism and an awareness of over-regulation in land use is becoming somewhat of a niche interest but hasn't really gained the groundswell traction we need. We have to do a better job connecting the dots  between land use, affordability, and economic dynamism. And that message needs to be brought equally to blue Richmond as it does to red Hanover.

I would consider that a false equivalency - there's a difference between preserving historic neighborhoods and just flat out not allowing any development in an entire county. One is quite logical and the other is pure disdain for any change whatsoever. It's probably best we don't try to dig too deep into this rabbit hole but I did want to at least throw out my last $0.02.

I hope this stuff goes through. Can a judge only award the developer money in this situation or can they actually overturn the county's vote?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ancientcarpenter said:

I would consider that a false equivalency - there's a difference between preserving historic neighborhoods and just flat out not allowing any development in an entire county. One is quite logical and the other is pure disdain for any change whatsoever. It's probably best we don't try to dig too deep into this rabbit hole but I did want to at least throw out my last $0.02.

I hope this stuff goes through. Can a judge only award the developer money in this situation or can they actually overturn the county's vote?

So one question that I've always had re: NIMBYism and it certainly is pertinent here: what is the developer/owner of this parcel supposed to do with the land if the county is restricting development because of NIMBY pushback? How do the property rights of the current nearby residents outweigh the rights of this property owner?

Now - nowhere is a jurisdiction obligated to rezone property to meet the needs/wants of a given property owner - but at the same time, are the NIMBYs just expected it to be somehow "acceptable" that said owner of this parcel is simply SOL in terms of how they might use their land?