Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

A 288-unit condo complex is on the way for the Pemberton-Mayland intersection in Henrico. Planned are 12 four-story buildings on the 10-acre parcel. Roughly 4/5 of the units would be age restricted (55-plus) with the remaining fifth of units open to people of all ages.

Nice injection of density - AND - home ownership in that part of the county.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/06/08/288-condos-planned-at-pemberton-mayland-crossroads-in-henrico/

FlatsAtMayland2.jpg

FlatsAtMayland1.jpg

Screenshot (264).png

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

A 288-unit condo complex is on the way for the Pemberton-Mayland intersection in Henrico. Planned are 12 four-story buildings on the 10-acre parcel. Roughly 4/5 of the units would be age restricted (55-plus) with the remaining fifth of units open to people of all ages.

Nice injection of density - AND - home ownership in that part of the county.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/06/08/288-condos-planned-at-pemberton-mayland-crossroads-in-henrico/

FlatsAtMayland2.jpg

FlatsAtMayland1.jpg

Screenshot (264).png

Shocked they didn't include a clubhouse and pool in this development. Looks great...love home ownership!

• Like 2

Interesting report in today's RBS - Chesterfield is considering a change to how they handle road development in rural portions of the county relative to connecting to developments of more suburban character. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/06/14/chesterfield-weighs-loosened-residential-development-rules-in-rural-areas/

Jonathan Spiers has a nice update on the overall Virginia Center Commons property redevelopment, including some great photos of the new sports and events center. The facility is REALLY coming along and looks great - and the overall project has a lot of good elements. I believe the renderings published today of the overall project AND the planned condos are brand new (I don't remember seeing it anywhere previously).

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/06/21/project-snapshot-henrico-event-center-booking-up-at-transforming-virginia-center-commons/

2.3-VCC-rendering.jpg

VCCcondos1.jpg

HenricoSportsCenter.jpg

VCCtour1.jpg

• Like 4

Local hotelier has applied for rezoning of a parcel near Buford and Midlothian Turnpike for a four-story extended stay hotel. Sina Hospitality hopes to break ground on the 95-room TownePlace Suites Hotel at 101 N. Providence road by Q2 of next year.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/06/28/local-hotelier-files-rezoning-to-build-extended-stay-townplace-suites-in-chesterfield/

sina-hotel-chesterfield-providence.png

Screenshot (290).png

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Local hotelier has applied for rezoning of a parcel near Buford and Midlothian Turnpike for a four-story extended stay hotel. Sina Hospitality hopes to break ground on the 95-room TownePlace Suites Hotel at 101 N. Providence road by Q2 of next year.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/06/28/local-hotelier-files-rezoning-to-build-extended-stay-townplace-suites-in-chesterfield/

sina-hotel-chesterfield-providence.png

Screenshot (290).png

Meh, just 4 stories…NEXT!

• Haha 4

Meant to post this before the 4th: nice update in Monday's RBS about the Woolridge Landing development near Swift Creek Reservoir. Construction is underway on 165 age-restricted home (that means houses fer old codgers like ME! image.png.c6a7c90be93fde41cbb4e4c89db29e66.png) in the rapidly developing Moseley area of Chesterfield, a couple of miles west of the 288 beltway. 

From Monday's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/07/03/project-snapshot-woolridge-landing-taking-shape-near-swift-creek-reservoir/

WoolridgeLanding-RevisedSitePlan.jpg

WoolridgeLanding_Drone-v3.jpg

WoolridgeLanding_Drone-v1.jpg

Screenshot (293).png

Some residential density coming to Midlothian Turnpike near Robious Road. Sauer Properties - who have projects going in "midtown" (the Sauer Center development), Carytown and near Virginia Center Commons in the northern suburbs is now looking to redevelop the former Stein Mart Festival shopping center property in the 9700 block of Midlo. On tap are up to 350 apartments in three four-story buildings, plus green space and some renovation to remaining retail space.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/07/06/sauer-properties-planning-to-add-apartments-to-midlothian-shopping-center/

site-plan-stein-mart-festival-sauer.png

Screenshot (296).png

Good news from Goochland: The county's planning commission - in a 3-2 split vote - have approved the Axiel Industrial (and Crescent Communities) proposed development of a pair of spec industrial buildings totaling 350K sq feet at 2212 Ashland Road near the "Project Rocky" site. Interestingly, most of the opposition to the development is not based (as is the case in Hanover) on "preserving the character" of the area - rather, the timing relative to forthcoming improvements and widening of Ashland Road, for which federal funding has been secured in connection with the improved Ashland Road interchange at I-64. Doesn't seem like folks are diametrically opposed writ large - but that the concerns are more logistical.

Either way, it's progressing and is another step forward to happening. Axiel is hoping to break ground next spring.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/07/11/3-2-vote-advances-planned-industrial-buildings-near-project-rocky-site/

CrescentIndustrial3-700x350 (1).jpg

Screenshot (301).png

Screenshot (302).png

Edited by I miss RVA

Bon Secours looking to build a new outpatient surgery center on their St. Francis Medical Center campus in Midlothian. The medical group is expected to file a formal request for approval with the Virginia Department of Health on August 1. The project site has already been cleared and is shovel-ready.

As an observation, projects like this further drives home the point that Midlothian has become a real, legitimate suburb, much the same way Short Pump has. Admittedly, perhaps not as far along in the 'maturity' portion of becoming a suburb as has Short Pump, but it's come a LONG way from what I remember as a kid when we visited my uncle who lived in Midlothian and had a small upholstery and antiques shop on Route 60. Midlothian was little more than a wide spot in the road 50 years ago. This often makes me wonder when places like Short Pump, Midlothian, Chester, Mechanicsville and Sandston, etc., will incorporate and become actual towns/small cities. They are all unincorporated census-designated places.

According to the Census Bureau, here are the most recent available population figures for these localities:

Mechanicsville - 37,767 (2023)

Short Pump - 27,332 (2023 estimate)

Chester - 22,512 (2021)

Midlothian - 18,320 (2021)

Sandston - 7,083 (2023 estimate)

Interesting note: while unofficial estimates vary, it appears that Mechanicsville, Short Pump and Sandston have declined slightly since the census, while Chester and Midlothian have grown. Either way, I wonder if/when these places will finally incorporate?

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/07/17/bon-secours-seeking-state-approval-to-build-surgery-center-next-to-midlothian-hospital/

site-plan-st-francis-surgery-center-e1689369205950.png

Edited by I miss RVA

3 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

What would be their benefit to incorporating? Not being sarcastic, just asking because I don’t know. 

That's an extremely good question, Coupe. Like you, I honestly don't know the answer either. Perhaps it's strictly a matter of independent governance that's not controlled by or dependent upon a county's board of supervisors. Ashland is a good example. It's an incorporated town and it has its own town council. Hanover County, however, helps with sewage, water filtration, etc. I'm guessing towns collect their own taxes (such as property taxes) ??

In doing a brief bit of research, first looking at Ashland then at Virginia's independent cities, I found this nugget in Wikipedia regarding incorporated towns in Virginia:

Some other Virginia municipalities, even though they may be more populous than some existing independent cities, are incorporated towns. These towns always form part of a county. Incorporated towns have limited powers, varying by each charter. They typically share many aspects such as courts and public school divisions with the county they are within.

So incorporated towns make their own laws independent of the county in which they are located, but they are part of the county and share certain basics with the county.

That said, the only thing I can think of is that it would give these communities like Midlo, Short Pump, Mechanicsville, etc., the ability to make their own policy on a limited basis within whatever agreed-upon boundaries would comprise the town itself. Let's say Mechanicsville or Short Pump wanted street lights, but Henrico wasn't willing to pay to install them, perhaps as incorporated towns, they would have collected sufficient tax revenue from town residents to purchase, install and maintain street lights.  ??

Something like that.

Edited by I miss RVA

Fat chance - state law prohibits towns from forming in counties that have exceeded a certain population threshold. There was a small effort that floundered 10-15 years ago when unincorporated Reston in Fairfax County wanted to incorporate. Local delegate was pushing legislation at the state level to remove that restriction- didn't go anywhere. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, whw53 said:

Fat chance - state law prohibits towns from forming in counties that have exceeded a certain population threshold. There was a small effort that floundered 10-15 years ago when unincorporated Reston in Fairfax County wanted to incorporate. Local delegate was pushing legislation at the state level to remove that restriction- didn't go anywhere. 

Good to know. So it would take an act of the General Assembly then. I'm guessing that the big, urban/suburban counties would be against towns incorporating because of loss of tax revenue as well as potential changes in voting?

I think I remember Fairfax County being against it. - hazy on the reasons but yea it just introduces overlapping governments - for what purpose?  I'm not really sure what the value add would be in a well run jurisdiction like Chesterfield.  

edit - blurb about Reston effort from 2006

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/effort-to-incorporate-reston-faces-hurdles

Edited by whw53
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

As an observation, projects like this further drives home the point that Midlothian has become a real, legitimate suburb, much the same way Short Pump has. Admittedly, perhaps not as far along in the 'maturity' portion of becoming a suburb as has Short Pump,

Midlothian is absolutely a real, legitimate suburb, and is pretty much just as far along as Short Pump. I graduated from Midlo in .... well, it's been a long time now. Other than the old "village" stretch of Midlothian, it's pretty unrecognizable. And it now dovetails pretty seamlessly with the Hull Street corridor. Which isn't to say all that isn't a mess, because it is. (Just an RVA-scale mess, not a NOVA-scale mess.)

12 hours ago, whw53 said:

blurb about Reston effort from 2006

The effort came back in 2016, but legislation didn't make it out of committee. Reading between the lines, it appears the Reston Association is powerful enough to kill the effort. That said, aside from some bald claims that it would save Reston residents a bit of money, I'm not sure I see the point. Nor does my brother-in-law, who lives in Reston. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Flood Zone said:

Midlothian is absolutely a real, legitimate suburb, and is pretty much just as far along as Short Pump. I graduated from Midlo in .... well, it's been a long time now. Other than the old "village" stretch of Midlothian, it's pretty unrecognizable. And it now dovetails pretty seamlessly with the Hull Street corridor. Which isn't to say all that isn't a mess, because it is. (Just an RVA-scale mess, not a NOVA-scale mess.)

How much office development is there in Midlothian? I'm thinking what separates Short Pump from Midlo are the office parks/non-retail commercial space -- and Short Pump has a bit more population (about 9,000 more residents). What's interesting through is that folks have been leaving Short Pump (for where - the city maybe? Goochland? Hanover?) - the 2020 census had Short Pump's residential population at over 30K. And Midlothian's population is growing.

In thinking about all this, can't help but harken back to 50-plus years go when I was a kid and we'd visit my uncle who lived in Midlothian and had an upholstery and antiques shop on Route 60. I can't remember specifically where his house was - it was a small house - he had been divorced for years but remarried late in life - and the shop on Route 60 was a decent size - and it sat alone on the parcel of land my uncle owned. No paved parking lot - just very dusty dirt and gravel and that was it. You could fire a cannon in all directions from his shop and not hit anything - that's how completely non-developed the area was - and Route 60 was a two-lane road at the time.

I THINK his shop was located right about where the 288 beltway/Midlothian Turnpike interchange is - or very near to it.

Edited by I miss RVA

2 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

How much office development is there in Midlothian? I'm thinking what separates Short Pump from Midlo are the office parks/non-retail commercial space -- and Short Pump has a bit more population (about 9,000 more residents). What's interesting through is that folks have been leaving Short Pump (for where - the city maybe? Goochland? Hanover?) - the 2020 census had Short Pump's residential population at over 30K. And Midlothian's population is growing.

I'd say the two are roughly equivalent, and I'm not aware of big office parks in Short Pump as the census bureau apparently defines it.  Innsbrook is a separate CDP, and the Westerre set of office buildings is also outside the Short Pump designation, I believe. At any rate, I'm not sure all of that matters much. These lines are imperfect.  There is a Short Pump subculture, and there is a Midlothian subculture. Although I think most would say Short Pump is nicer (and I'd agree, even though I'm from Midlo), it's basically one edge city compared to another.  Midlothian is still growing, but that's just because the western reaches are still being explored. (I have no clue why Short Pump would have a such a sharp decline in population since 2020, or any decline at all. There certainly isn't an influx of homes on the market for resale. )

Incidentally, you're the only person I "know" who refers to 295 or 288 as a "beltway." 🙂

• Like 1

HCA Health moving Chesterfield emergency room (richmond.com)

HCA Health plans to relocate its Swift Creek emergency room to a nearby location in western Chesterfield County. At a cost of $19 million, the health system plans to build a larger facility at 18201 Hull Street Road.

Last week, HCA submitted a Certificate of Public Need request to the state health department to move CT imaging equipment from the existing facility to the new one.

Health systems do not need state approval to open standalone ERs, but they need approval to install CT scanners and MRIs.

The Swift Creek facility, which opened in 2016 at 14720 Hancock Village St., is roughly 10 miles east of the new location, which is being called Magnolia ER.

HCA owns three freestanding emergency rooms and plans to build a fourth at Iron Bridge Road in Chesterfield for $16 million. It is expected to open in 2025. HCA’s other locations are in Hanover and Prince George counties.

For context it's literally a skip away from the Metro Zoo, and I will say that area is really taking off in terms of development.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Flood Zone said:

I'd say the two are roughly equivalent, and I'm not aware of big office parks in Short Pump as the census bureau apparently defines it.  Innsbrook is a separate CDP, and the Westerre set of office buildings is also outside the Short Pump designation, I believe. At any rate, I'm not sure all of that matters much. These lines are imperfect.  There is a Short Pump subculture, and there is a Midlothian subculture. Although I think most would say Short Pump is nicer (and I'd agree, even though I'm from Midlo), it's basically one edge city compared to another.  Midlothian is still growing, but that's just because the western reaches are still being explored. (I have no clue why Short Pump would have a such a sharp decline in population since 2020, or any decline at all. There certainly isn't an influx of homes on the market for resale. )

Incidentally, you're the only person I "know" who refers to 295 or 288 as a "beltway." 🙂

Good description, my friend (Short Pump and Midlothian) - one edge city compared with another one.  The population decline in Short Pump is a bit striking - and it is a tad mind-boggling. Yeah-  I wasn't sure about the amount of office development in Short Pump - but I thought it had spread far enough west over the last decade to include non-retail commercial space in Short Pump proper.

Beltway: I guess I'm WAYYY old-school on this - I remember before both highways were built how they were originally planned to be a legitimate circular "beltway" to "ring" the city (a la the Capital Beltway or the Baltimore Beltway). Obviously, we know the history of how and why that didn't happen - and how metro RVA's "beltway" system ended up becoming -- and closely resembling -- a huge disjointed "9". I remember researching it a couple of years ago - I believe a formal request was made way back when for federal funding for 288 (to make it I-288) and it got left off the appropriations legislation that included more funding for NOVA projects and for stuff in Hampton Roads. When I was researching the history of all of this, I recall seeing ORIGINAL plans from the late '50s that showed a completely circular "ring-shaped" beltway surrounding the city (again, like the Capital and Baltimore beltways). 

Regardless of how the paths turned out - they serve a similar purpose to a completed "beltway" - and as such, to me, they ARE beltways. Just not "complete" beltways. But that was the original intent - that was the original purpose - and they serve (for the most part) that purpose (loosely) - so I still call 'em beltways - even if the execution of the original intent got BADLY fumbled at the goal line by the local and state powers that be.

Edited by I miss RVA