Miller's House

bic

I just went to the Farmer, Baker, and Barrios Architects web site and saw that they changed their featured project from that of Ajax Stadium to something called Miller's House. The brief caption says "Embracing the vibrant spirit of Thornton Park, the Miller residence is a culmination of civic and personal interests aimed at integrating contemporary culture with the Orlando city fabric." The rendering is that of a funky 3-4 story building that looks like it could house a museum or gallery. Only thing is, when I click on "view project," nothing appears in Firefox. Then when I try to use Internet Explorer, Ajax appears as the featured project (even after clearing history).

Anyway, this sounds interesting. Anybody know more about this project?

Here's the link:

FBBArch.com

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is on the May agenda for the Municipal Planning Board. It is at 811 E. Wasington Street across from Dexters and next to that laundromat. It is supposed to be 49 feet tall and has been approved by the Historic Preservation Board. It will have an art galery on the first floor and i believe residences on the 2nd and 3rd. I think Jaybee might have more info on this. I tried to place a link for the HPB but its not working right now.

When i go to fbbarch.com i still see AJAX as the featured project...strange! Here is the link to the Historic Preservation Board staff report on the "Miller Project".

www.cityoforlando.net/planning/cityplanning/HPB/2005%20HPB%20Agenda%20Staff%20Reports%20&%20Minutes/March%202005/HPB2005-00022.pdf

The coolest part of this building is a sun visor that is meant to give privacy/shade to the building, and can move up and down on a track --- see the green thingie on the left side of the building. Maybe this is the ultimate FBB "visor".

It must be nice to have an architectural firm design your new house....complete with an art gallery on the first floor and a retractable sun visor for shade. i can just imagine.........."Ahhh, lets retire to the rooftop terrace for a glass of wine and cheese ,Darling" and watch all the simple folk pass by.

It must be nice to have an architectural firm design your new house....complete with an art gallery on the first floor and a retractable sun visor for shade. i can just imagine.........."Ahhh, lets retire to the rooftop terrace for a glass of wine and cheese ,Darling" and watch all the simple folk pass by.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL! I agree!

I can see it now. Looks interesting...What happened to Farmer? It's only BBARCH now.....Was he opposed to all the visors?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Apparently Farmer retired 3 years ago. Here's an article from the Orlando Business Journal about what BBArch has in store for their future:

Name change, expansion on tap for Baker Barrios

Orlando architecture firm scouting locations for offices in S. Fla., nationwide.

Jill Krueger

Staff Writer

ORLANDO -- Changes are under way at longtime Orlando architecture firm Farmer Baker Barrios Architects Inc.

On May 2, Managing Partners Carlos Barrios and Tim Baker changed the firm's name to Baker Barrios Architects Inc. And after opening an office in Tampa earlier this year, the partners are considering additional locations nationally starting next year, all the while recruiting young architects who eventually will take over ownership of the firm.

The changes are designed to establish a foundation from which the firm can continue to grow, says Barrios, a managing partner of the architecture firm: "We want to establish a legacy."

Read More

Archived