IBM and Upstate

gs3

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a very nice article. Thanks for posting this information! :thumbsup:

One thing which was noted in the article is that IBM currently has over 900 employees in Greenville. That is a staggering number to those who haven't kept up on their presence here.

I really enjoyed hearing yet another person comment on the greatness of Greenville. :D

Yeah, and did you read the last line from the IBM employ that lived in San Diego, Chicago, Houston, Atlanta, Boston? Now she lives in Greenville and said "We love it! It's absolutely gorgeous down here". Just love to see those kinds of comments on Upstate. :)

• 4 years later...

Too bad Greenville missed out on the IBM Service Delivery Center, which is now being launched in Dubuque, Iowa, of all places. I had no idea Greenville was even a finalist until I received an e-mail from IBM's recruiting department asking me to apply for several of the jobs they are trying to staff in Dubuque. I asked myself, "Dubuque? Are they serious? Is this some sort of joke?" So I researched it a bit and found that this was, indeed, serious.

This is a quote from THIS ARTICLE, so don't shoot me for saying that Greenville is home of Clemson University.

The other finalists considered by the company were all midsize communities that house major universities: Greenville, S.C., home of Clemson University; Morgantown, W.Va. (West Virginia University); Bloomington, Ind. (Indiana University); Columbia, Mo. (University of Missouri); and Laramie, Wyo. (University of Wyoming).

That article is badly written by someone who doesn't know what he is talking about. This center won't be like the research and development center in Raleigh. The center they are building in Dublique is a domestic outsourcing center. The RTP (Raleigh) is a high population R&D and production facility. What that brought to RDU (Raleigh) over the last 40 years won't be matched by what they are doing in the Dublique center, not even close. I believe the Dublique center cost Iowa $60M or $80M. IMO SC could probably make better use of that kind of money for something else.

That article is badly written by someone who doesn't know what he is talking about. This center won't be like the research and development center in Raleigh. The center they are building in Dublique is a domestic outsourcing center. The RTP (Raleigh) is a high population R&D and production facility. What that brought to RDU (Raleigh) over the last 40 years won't be matched by what they are doing in the Dublique center, not even close. I believe the Dublique center cost Iowa $60M or $80M. IMO SC could probably make better use of that kind of money for something else.

Archived