Wachovia South Tryon Projects

Southend

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone had an opportunity to pick up Charlotte's Wednesday paper yet? If not, better do so. Doug Smith has a great article about the new plans for the planned Wachovia mixed development. Details are quite remarkable as it lays out the development quite nicely. I think over the next three to five years you are going to see quite a bit of commercial, residential, and yes retail development south of the square. YES !!!!! Finally.... B) :w00t:

Here is dougy's article online:

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/11557761.htm

He covers a lot about development in third ward/south tryon, including the plans for 3rd Ward Park, the Duke Power Building, 300 S Tryon site, and the Wachovia complex that was announced last week.

I think there is a lot of momentum for this part of town, which has needed a major transformation for a long time.

I'm a little nervous about the Power building. The original 1927 part is fairly attractive (i photographed it in my original uptown photo tour). I hope it is kept as historical and the developers use the remainder of the block (which looks like it is 60% parking lot right now) for their project, and renovate the old part.

Here is dougy's article online:

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/11557761.htm

He covers a lot about development in third ward/south tryon, including the plans for 3rd Ward Park, the Duke Power Building, 300 S Tryon site, and the Wachovia complex that was announced last week.

I think there is a lot of momentum for this part of town, which has needed a major transformation for a long time.

I'm a little nervous about the Power building.  The original 1927 part is fairly attractive (i photographed it in my original uptown photo tour).  I hope it is kept as historical and the developers use the remainder of the block (which looks like it is 60% parking lot right now) for their project, and renovate the old part.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would really like to see the parking lot that spectrum leveled for a tower 6 years ago put back on the table with commercial developers. This is the lot that borders latta arcade. It is bordered by 3rd and tryon. If I were a developer I would look really hard at that being a site for development. It is the missing tooth in the smile, we know as the Charlotte skyline. (I am always really frustrated walking by that site as it really takes away from the landscape of Tryon street) :angry:

i agree with you (that is the 300 s Tryon site referenced in the article). but at the same time, the longer it sits, the higher it goes eventually.

The article seems to imply that Cornerstone/Spectrum will sit on it and evenually do resi and office there when 3rd Ward part momentum starts.

BTW, the new article by Doug Smith mentions some detail on the third ward park. I believe what they are going to try and acheive is quite remarkable. They are wanting to fashion the park after the one in manhatten (Bryant Park) This would be very nice, indeed.... :)

BTW, the new article by Doug Smith mentions some detail on the third ward park. I believe what they are going to try and acheive is quite remarkable. They are wanting to fashion the park after the one in manhatten (Bryant Park) This would be very nice, indeed.... :)

The Green would be so much better if there were places to eat there after the offices close. There just needs to be SOMETHING there that will attract foot traffic. I love matt's Chicago Hot Dog at the The Green, but they close too damn early, and I gotta go to the one in freaking huntersville to eat.

I could not agree more. I work dtn at 3 Wachovia and find that after 3 or so the place is dead. I think the latest news is going to spark some more traffic though. As a matter of fact, I spoke with Matt the other day letting him know the great news of more condos to come just right across Tryon. It can only help his business. If you go right across the Green, my Indian buddies lost there investment next to Fuel's Pizza for lack of biz. They did great when conventioners were in town, but horrible all other time of the year. What a shame, I really liked Mr. Heros. (the other two restraunts they operated sucked though). sorry to say.

Wachovia plans to design its mixed-use project, to open in 2008, with a park and condos that mesh with the Ratcliffe and The Green. A tunnel under Tryon is to connect the tower to the park, condos, restaurants and Overstreet Mall.

More overstreet mall connections, yay.

More overstreet mall connections, yay.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think what it means is that the tunnel under Tryon will "connect" pedestrians to the older Wachovia buildings across the street that already have Overstreet Mall crosswalks.

The bank disclosed plans last week for a mixed-use project combining a 30- to 35-story office tower with condos, a park, museum and theater on 4 acres, including the 500 block and part of the 400 block.

Are we going to be "theatre-d out" downtown? What kind of theatre are they talking about? A performing arts theatre? If so, there's already the Bloomingthal Performing Arts Center (130 N. Tryon), Spirit Square(345 N. College St.), Children's Theatre (1017 E. Morehead St), Theatre Charlotte (501 Queens Rd), Visulite Theatre (1615 Elizabeth Ave.), NC Dance Theatre (800 N. College St.) in the downtown area, just to name a few.

If it's a movie theatre, there's the one planned for the EpiCentre and a ton of others as you move out.

Is there enough demand for another theatre, no matter which type it is?

I think the write up in the master plan by ASC explains the need well. Apparently it is to fill a niche missing between the other theaters and the belk theatre as far as size. The Belk Theatre is packed with demand, and they must turn away requests.

Also, I expect arts to grow over the next few decades, so it is good that they are being baked into the designs of projects.

Just an FYI....I work in Three Wachovia, and this morning I noticed that they were already surveying the parking lot that the Firestone sits on. It is bound by Stonewall, 1st Street, and Tryon. I am expecting this thing to really get going quite soon. We actually had an inner-office memo that stressed Ken Thompson's (Wachovia's CEO) urgency in getting this project rolling. When the big boys talk the cranes move in very quick. The excitement could be felt in this memo as all of the projects mesh together to create a perfect urban fabric for S.Tryon. The dead side of the city (IMO). THis project includes it all, and the emphasis on the ARTS is awesome. On a side not whatever happened to the BOFA tower planned on the other end of Tryon that was going to include the Mint Museum. Think of how much that would extend the skrapers. It would be a great view from Independence. That hole in the skyline between the Odell Building and the Hearst tower really erks my. FILL THOSE GAPS !!!!!

Archived