Wachovia South Tryon Projects

Southend

If you see the number of events that have to be pushed over to Ovens due to lack of space in Blumenthal, you'll understand the need for a second performing arts center in downtown.

Ovens is an ok space, but watching the Producer's there wasn't quite the same as watching it in Belk Theatre. The other venues you mentioned are smaller in size and not able to handle the types of events usually handled by Ovens or Blumenthal.

Among the groups currently using Blumenthal: Opera Carolina, NC Dance Theatre, Charlotte Rep (I think they're gone now...), Broadway Lights, Ballet, Charlotte Symphony, and on and on. It gets crowded...

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look for earth moving equipment in the next three months on the Wachovia Mixed use project. Can't wait !!! It is really going to connect the skyline to the Westin (as well as our beloved Arlington haha). The next move will be to jump 277 in some vacant lots with more dense urban development, especially with Light rail moving in. Don't forget about the portential twin tower proposal by the West Palm Beach developer. This would be adjacent to the Wachovia development. With the Wachovia proposal going forward, the WPB developer's project could grow some serious legs....

So, any renderings yet? Know when they should be due out? Relatively soon I suppose.

And the twin tower thing are two 25 story towers proposed by a FLA developer (sounds kind of sketch tho) which are to contain one condo tower and one hotel tower.

• 3 weeks later...

i like the way you think nyxmike. if the museum does relocate, then the former building would be a great center piece in luring retail back into to uptown charlotte. maybe not just one store but a couple, just to provide something to fall back on. one at least needs to be a sort of chain store, and the others can be unique.

I really want to see the Mint Craft museum to stay where it is....but then if it's necessary to move the main Mint downtown then I guess it is a necessary evil....it is a great building though.....oddly, this would pull the almost entire cultural momentum from North to South Tryon....it seems odd that BofA would be ok with that.

Well then again, McColl isn't running things there anymore, is he? I dislike the new leadership at BofA. They seem more concentrated on running their booming business and much less concentrated on helping out the community like they did in the McColl days.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an FYI:

I was walking down S.Tryon today (man was it HOTTT B) )

The lot in front of the old Wachovia (directly across from the Green) now has a new banner.

It reads:

"Future Home of the WAKE FOREST MBA POROGRAM, Charlotte Uptown Campus"

Looking forwad to some activity soon. This will be a nice project all in all. I am looking forward to seeing some cranes on that side of the city. I will also be very glad that the Firestone lot will be taken out by this development. (and man is it one HUGE lot)

:D

:ph34r: It sure was hot outside today. I didn't notice that sign. What time did you go out there today? They really need to demolish that whole section of town and build it up. Everything on that west side of Tryon from 2nd down is pretty useless. Firestone, Ugly Gold Building, Parking Lot Heaven... would make some nice skyline additions if they would just throw some big buildings up there.

:ph34r: It sure was hot outside today. I didn't notice that sign. What time did you go out there today? They really need to demolish that whole section of town and build it up. Everything on that west side of Tryon from 2nd down is pretty useless. Firestone, Ugly Gold Building, Parking Lot Heaven... would make some nice skyline additions if they would just throw some big buildings up there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

went by literally about one hour ago. It looks like it was just put there. Look out for some very impressive things going on both Parking lots. I work with Wachovia and have had a lot of inner office memos praising the future development.

:thumbsup:

It will be higher than both two and three Wachovia but shy of One Wachovia in height. :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

this is great news...i do hope the design of this building is better than some of the buildings that are there now. don't get me wrong i like them alright - i just feel s. tryon needs to push the design envelope more. i must admit if wachovia 2 (the one next to ratcliff) did not have its prisma-glass top - i would find it rather boring. i do really like pelli's wachovia building in winston....which brings me to a question:

do you guys think that the merged wachovia/first union will inherit the stylings of wachovia or first union? or will there be a totally new look here?

the merger does pull the designs away from the over-use of the color green...

is it public yet who will design the 4 wach campus?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

even though I work here I have no idea. I know the people in corporate real estate that are heading up the project. However they do not divulge any info. I betcha some other posters who dabble in or have a carrer in Corporate real estate might have a clue.

Atlrvr where are you?????

Looking at some of their other projects on emporis, I hope the tower can look like the RSA battle house tower they just designed in Mobile.

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=241991

Even though the tower is only supposed to be 34 stories, it could be made quite magnificent with an atrium/crown feature like the above tower.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can only hope as much. I love that rendering for the tower in Mobile. I am shocked that it will be the tallest in Alabama. Birmingham has always held the title of tallest building. However, Mobile is definately deserving of such a magnificent piece of architecture. It is a great bay city.

TVS was (and probably still is the architect of record)....though someone else is doing Wake's portion (Jenkins Peer)......however, now that the tower has moved a block away, who knows if they will keep TVS.

TVS, was supposed to design 4 Wachovia (the giant that never was), but they were dumped and KPF (that's right, the famous KPF) out of New York was given the job, and produced the renderings that most everyone has seen by now.

Not that I assume TVS would be dumped this time, but FU has shown at least one time that they don't mind stepping outside the box.

I truly believe that this will turn out to be a big box like 3 Wachovia (and about 34 stories high) that will go long ways down Tryon, and have some setbacks near the top.....but I haven't seen a damn thing.

TVS was (and probably still is the architect of record)....though someone else is doing Wake's portion (Jenkins Peer)......however, now that the tower has moved a block away, who knows if they will keep TVS.

TVS, was supposed to design 4 Wachovia (the giant that never was), but they were dumped and KPF (that's right, the famous KPF) out of New York was given the job, and produced the renderings that most everyone has seen by now. 

Not that I assume TVS would be dumped this time, but FU has shown at least one time that they don't mind stepping outside the box.

I truly believe that this will turn out to be a big box like 3 Wachovia (and about 34 stories high) that will go long ways down Tryon, and have some setbacks near the top.....but I haven't seen a damn thing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks Atlrvr...I knew you had at least something to bring to the table. I am really hoping against the box. Three and Two Wachovia have already accomplished that for this architectually challanged side of Trade street ;) . Hopefully, we can see some more asthetically pleasing towers on the S Tryon end with this new tower. I will post if I get the rederings. I believe Wachovia is really wanting to get a jump on this project to have it completed well before the end of 08'. That is the word here (@ Wachovia at least).

emporis lists the new 4 wach as being much much shorter than the RSA, even though they roughly have the same number of stories.

I'm not completely for height for height's sake... but considering it will likely be a bookend for south tryon, it would be nice if it were more tall, striking and interesting than many of the other wach/fu towers.

Emporis simply posted the number that ColeJenest (their site planner) claimed on the initial rezoning request......the building site has since moved, and more square footage has been added (not that it will necessarily be taller, because I believe it will now have a larger foot print). I still think 500-525 is a reasonable number.....maybe 560 if they do something with a spire.

Archived