Wachovia South Tryon Projects

Southend

Emporis simply posted the number that ColeJenest (their site planner) claimed on the initial rezoning request......the building site has since moved, and more square footage has been added (not that it will necessarily be taller, because I believe it will now have a larger foot print).  I still think 500-525 is a reasonable number.....maybe 560 if they do something with a spire.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks again atlrvr. You are truly a value added member to UP. I really rely on others to get the info that is sometimes hidden. Here's hoping for a spire... :D

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My only thought is that Wach. may want a Tryon Street address for the corp. HQ.......though I doubt that they'd spend several million more dollars for this reason......anyway, they can always buy the land on the other side of "The Green" if they look to build a mega-tower in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

...i'm picturing something of equal mass to 3 wachovia, with possibly a little bit more height.

i'm hopeful that the design will be more signature and impressive than the other wach towers, though. As we get closer to Stonewall/Belk Freeway, these towers will be the bookends and most visible features of our skyline shots. Many of the also-ran 20-30 towers on south tryon create our density, but their individual designs are not crucial to making our skyline impressive. That is not the case for this one.

I have to agree with you there dubone.  I'm still unimpressed with First Union's last addition to our skyline and our current southern bookend.  The top of Three Wachovia still reminds me of a bad 1980s hairstyle:  the Claw, otherwise known as "mall-hair".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good analogy MC, but I actually don't mind that tower so much. The top of it reminds me of the crystals that the Sleestacks used to protect on Land of the Lost, for those Gen X geeks out there old enough to remember the show.

i really like that tower. I must be in the minority.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think both one and three Wachovia are very nice buildings, actually two of my favorite high-rises in Charlotte. I actually think one wachovia is the best building we have. I didn't think so at first but over my 5 years in Charlotte it has grown on me the most; it has the most original, complex, and beautiful design. I also like the way its pretty yet elegant rosy-brown granite and blue-gray glass complement each other. I urge anyone who has not noticed this building's beauty to examine it more closely (read: standing close to it and walking around it) next time you have a chance. I also love the glass at the top of three.

I definitely like the contrast between the colorful and more playful southwest side of the skyline with the more homogenous but taller and more stately looking northeast side. I even go so far as to say that the color contrasts on the Wachovia end of the skyline make the now Duke Energy white monolith and its orange glass look cool..... in other words, its neighboring buildings turn it from an eyesore into something that I feel even contributes to the skyline. I hope that whatever Wachovia has planned will consider the colorfulness of that end of the skyline and do something that will add to it without making it tacky.

There is a story on it at the News 14 website. There is a small picture with a block rendering in it. The story says that Wachovia needs to know what the city is going to do as far as the arts portion, before they can start design and construction. It appears that the layout of the buildings have changed quite a bit from the original layout.

http://www.news14charlotte.com/content/top....asp?ArID=97080

Archived