FreeMore Projects (West Morehead, Freedom Drive, Bryant Park)

cooperdawg

• 2 months later...

The observer is reporting that Savor is expanding into the space next door and adding a full bar.

http://helendining.blogspot.com/2010/06/savor-re-do-new-at-view-wine-at-blue.html

(not much news in the link)

This is great news, the place is truly too small for its lunch crowd.

If Pinky's/Penguin can get open this part of town will really start to flourish.

it's definitely happening. my office is over here and i've seen the area get SO much nicer in the year and a half we've been here. the warehouse nearest 77 was recently gutted and is now available, as are many of the spaces surrounding open kitchen.

anybody know why the Cassidy/Turley project (pictured above) stalled out? the site has been stagnant for over a year but the renderings looked promising.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought there was some progress for the area with Burger Co and Pinkey's coming but don't think a strip club would be a good idea in Wesley Heights..

This was going in front of the zoning board...

CASE NO. 10-019 – Application has been made by ADOF Entertainment Group, Inc. (Represented

by Robert Brandon) for property located at 935 S. Summit Avenue, Tax Parcel Number 073-253-01,

requesting a 122 foot variance from the required 1000 foot minimum distance separation from any

residential district, school, church, child care center, park or playground to allow an adult establishment

which is located less than 1000 feet from residences.

Code Section 2.201 states that an adult

establishment is an adult bookstore, adult motion picture theatre, adult mini motion picture theatre, or

adult live entertainment business as defined in this section. Code Section 9.1103(3) states that adult

establishments are subject to the regulations of Section 12.518. Code Section 12.518(b) states that any

structure in which an adult establishment, other than an adult bookstore or adult mini motion picture

theatre, is the principal or accessory use shall be separated by a distance of at least 1000 feet from any

residential district, school, church, child care center, park or playground. Code Section 12.518(e) states

that the distance for the separation from residential zoning and protected uses shall be measured in a

straight line from the closest edge of the building occupied by an adult use to the nearest residential

zoning district or to the property line of a protected use.

Code Section 12.518(g) states that in addition to

the standards set forth in Section 5.108, before granting a variance from the separation requirements set

forth in subsection (a) or (b) of this section, the Board of Adjustment shall find that thoroughfares, traffic

circulation patterns, structures or other natural or man-made geographic or topographic features are likely

to provide an adequate measure of protection for the protected zoning or use from any secondary effects

of the adult establishment

^ 935 summit is where the 935 club is, on the other side of Morehead backed up to I-77. even if it IS changing to a strip club i think you'll see very little impact on the area... even though that club is packed some nights you'd never know it was there from Morehead St. my hunch is that it's staying as 935, because it seems pretty popular, but adding an adult entertainment element.

got me thinking that one of those small spaces in the burger co building wouldn't be a bad place at all for an adult bookstore though...

Edited by nonillogical

• 2 months later...

so with the recent drama at Penguin, is Pinkey's still opening or has it already opened?

the Pinky's sign was up, and opening looked imminent. but now i'm hearing that Pinky's, which is going to be run by Auten, will be "Penguin West Side".

http://www.foxcharlotte.com/news/local/Penguin-Changing-Hands-Pinkys-Changing-Names-103407809.html

not sure how i feel about this just yet.

• 1 year later...

I saw that... I HATE the site plan, suburban crap... looks like it belongs in UNC Charlotte

I don't like it either, but honestly it is not a prominent location or one that is likely to ever see retail at its doorstep, so I can't say it bothers me that much. The price point for that neighborhood is not going to be that high (associated more closely to Wilkinson than to the Wesley Heights part of W. Morehead), so a more expensive urban building would be a tough sell.

I don't like it either, but honestly it is not a prominent location or one that is likely to ever see retail at its doorstep, so I can't say it bothers me that much. The price point for that neighborhood is not going to be that high (associated more closely to Wilkinson than to the Wesley Heights part of W. Morehead), so a more expensive urban building would be a tough sell.

Retail or no retail doesn't matter. the 4 buildings placed cockeyed in a sea of surface parking is the problem. Its the complete lack of any attempt at urbanity. 260 units surrounding a central parking deck would have taken up 1/2 the space and they could have put the rest of the land up for sale or use it for future development. This siteplan is disappointing crap.

Retail or no retail doesn't matter. the 4 buildings placed cockeyed in a sea of surface parking is the problem. Its the complete lack of any attempt at urbanity. 260 units surrounding a central parking deck would have taken up 1/2 the space and they could have put the rest of the land up for sale or use it for future development. This siteplan is disappointing crap.

I'm definitely disappointed, I guess I'm just saying I'm not surprised in this case. In this area I'm probably more upset about the completed Wesley Village, its even gated!

If I had to guess, it'll probably be more apartments in the style of Wesley Village. Site plan is not ideal but at least the parking is shielded from the road by buildings. I absolutely hate when you see a sea of parking in front and the building in the rear of the site. And by looking at Google street view, this parcel and road could use some major upgrading.

The site for the new apartments on Millerton Rd. have a very steep grade change from the street down to Stewart Creek / Greenway, it drop off more than 20 feet. some of the building will be 4 stories on the parking lot side and 3 stories on street side. It is a hard site to work with. You cannot see the site from Morehead Street. From what iI have been told they are going to be market rate apartment.