FreeMore Projects (West Morehead, Freedom Drive, Bryant Park)

cooperdawg

I agree that any new development is a welcome addition and have been wanting a coffee shop - is there any DOT plans to add a light or other traffc calming ideas to the "Freedom Drive Expressway" - aka the exit/entrance ramp portion of Freedom Drive to 77/277. Even with all the crosswalks and pedestrian islands built at Freedom and Morehead - it's still a dangerous intersection to navigate as a pedestrian. Not too relaxing to sit outside D&D patio sipping on coffee while cars whizz by at 50 MPH.

Perhaps this is something D&D can work towards with the city?

• 3 weeks later...

No info here but I'll be happy to see that part of Morehead get some love. I think it has potential for redevelopment even with the other side of the street sitting vacant for the time being. There are some parts of west Midtown Atlanta that I think are a good example, with successful mixed use developments opposite industrial storage yards, and its not as weird feeling as you'd think.

However I think West Morehead needs some traffic calming measures. Does anyone know if that is planned, and if it can be done without impacting traffic volume too much? It seems to me like a move to 2 lanes with a turn lane might actually help flow. 

Anybody got any info on this?

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/03/biltmark-buys-west-morehead-site.html

What kind of apartments does Biltmark usually put up?  I haven't heard of them.

There was not much of substance but we discussed this project about six weeks ago in this thread: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/10863-west-morehead-projects/?p=1251215

Now that it is official I'll add it to the map.

Edited by kermit

Not certain, but I see Biltmark and Tribute properties tied together in a lot of my searches.   If that is the case (and I pray it isn't) and you Google image search Tribute Properties you'll get an idea at what they develop.   :sick:

My guesstimate may be completely off though...

Edited by Urbanity

^ Well, no matter who the developer is I think there is little danger of anything like what's in that link being built there :)

Anyone know what is going on at the small warehouse at w. morehead and calvert? It has had a couple of false starts as business space in the last few years, but it looks like someone is finally putting some serious work into it at the moment. I always thought this would make a perfect music venue/comedy club, but thats one thing we honestly have well-covered in Charlotte.

The storage building across the street next to 77 also has been getting cleaned out recently and there are Available signs up now saying studio office/retail/restaurant. It would take a lot of work but i can imagine some pretty interesting reuse potential there. 

Next week's Wesley Heights Community Association meeting will discuss a MASSIVE new QuikTrip gas station / convenience store at the intersection of Morehead and Freedom (directly behind Pinky's). I've heard the lot is 3+ acres w/ more than 2.5 of it being store/pumps/parking/etc. Will also result in the the older buildings along Morehead being torn down and the site being built up to grade.

Is something like this possible given the West Morehead PED Overlay?

The Ped overlay does very little to alter the permitted uses in B-1, which allows "automotive service stations." What it does do is alter setback and screening requirements so that, theoretically, it remains a pedestrian-encouraging environment. Given that this site backs up against I-1 zoning (as opposed to R), it will likely make it harder to fight. You could argue, though, that the gas pumps qualify as a "drive-thru" feature, which the Ped overlay limits to 4.

(which, as we saw with the Walgreens on Morehead debacle, is still absurd for a "Pedestrian" overlay)

^ I think they are attempting to sell it as-is now, so the plan is dead but I'd be kind of surprised if something similar to what was planned isn't the end result. While there has been no movement there, a couple of other unused buildings along Morehead and Bryant have just recently been gutted and for-sale/lease signs put up. 

The Ped overlay does very little to alter the permitted uses in B-1, which allows "automotive service stations." What it does do is alter setback and screening requirements so that, theoretically, it remains a pedestrian-encouraging environment. Given that this site backs up against I-1 zoning (as opposed to R), it will likely make it harder to fight. You could argue, though, that the gas pumps qualify as a "drive-thru" feature, which the Ped overlay limits to 4.

(which, as we saw with the Walgreens on Morehead debacle, is still absurd for a "Pedestrian" overlay)

The land owner spoke at the Camp Greene Neigborhood meeting.  By right QT can build their station.  PED requires the pumps to be placed at the back of the lot and the convenience store portion on Freedom Drive.  QT considers this "gas backwards" and wants a variance.  Neighborhood is against the variance.  I'm sure Wesley Heights will fight it too.  Ingress/egress is right in, right out only on Freedom with the station and pumps faciing Freedom.  There will be a second entrance off of Morehead Street.  All of the buildings around Pinky's will be demolished and the grade will need to be raised to the floor height of Pinky's as this is a flood plain.