FreeMore Projects (West Morehead, Freedom Drive, Bryant Park)

cooperdawg

I had a client purchase a townhome at Bryant Park last week. We were both impressed with price and everything included even though it's Ryan Homes. Entry price was 163k which isn't bad for a 3 bedroom. I agree the area has tons of potential and some great views of uptown. My client is single female which also is interesting given that she was comfortable enough with the area to move to. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I think we can call this Uptown still but whatever, I will put this here, and if a mod wants to move it, feel free.

Anyways: this was filed today for the following address 801 MCNINCH ST

West Morehead Apartments
212 units. 2 levels of parking deck and 4 floors of residential with the potential for some ground level commercial

At least there is POTENTIAL for retail! I think, maybe they assume as this area grows there will be a need. Also, has this project ever been mentioned before? There is an abandoned building on this site now so that's good it will be demoed, but would love to see this area built up!

I'm sure its been mentioned, but what's the deal with the surrounding empty grass lots (bordered by Morehead, Dunbar, Cedar and Post St's)???

Edited by Jayvee

Bought by neighboring Charlotte Pipe & Foundry after Beazer tore down the Coffee Cup and then (went bankrupt?) or otherwise had to give up their plans for the land.

I secretly wish that they bought that land so they could flip it for a profit in the future. All that land seems like wasted potential.

^An insider at Charlotte Pipe said they have no plans to develop any of the land they own south of Morehead.  Their strategy is to prevent the area from becoming too residential because then complaints would start rolling in about the smell coming from their foundry.  Their worst nightmare is being forced out of their current location but they've hedged their bets through a second location in Monroe.  Some of their property will be seized through eminent domain by NCDOT for that proposed locomotive works west of Summit Ave and they aren't happy about it.

Edited by ChessieCat

^An insider at Charlotte Pipe said they have no plans to develop any of the land they own south of Morehead.  Their strategy is to prevent the area from becoming too residential because then complaints would start rolling in about the smell coming from their foundry.  Their worst nightmare is being forced out of their current location but they've hedged their bets through a second location in Monroe.  Some of their property will be seized through eminent domain by NCDOT for that proposed locomotive works west of Summit Ave and they aren't happy about it.

That really sucks they will impede development uptown. We live in a new era of urban cities, go away!!!

I secretly wish that they bought that land so they could flip it for a profit in the future. All that land seems like wasted potential.

Didn't Jerry Richardson say he wanted the city to buy that land to use for parking for the current stadium and a site for a future stadium? The current stadium will likely need to be replaced by 2025 at the latest to keep the team here. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yay more apartments! 

1230 W MOREHEAD ST
CHARLOTTE NC 28208

W. Morehead Street Apartments
200 unit building

I am wondering if they will rehab the current building or if that is a goner? The parcel includes the existing building and the lot behind it, I am guessing it's a goner.

Edited by Jayvee

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I guess this might be technically considered "gold district" or southend, but this thread needs some love.  Signs have been up in the windows for months and months.  Looks like this is finally happening.  This is the second or third business to move into these old buildings on Morehead in the last year or so.  Hoping for more.

IMG_1072.JPG