FreeMore Projects (West Morehead, Freedom Drive, Bryant Park)

cooperdawg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On October 5, 2016 at 4:57 PM, Finkle said:

Permits in the works for apartments at W. Summit & West Morehead 284 units wrapped around deck. This is across the street from the Open Kitchen.

Rendering from http://bluerockresidential.com/portfolio/west-morehead/ .  Another rendering is in CBJ, but it didn't seem to want to copy/paste.

West-Moreland.jpg

Edited by rjp212

• 2 weeks later...

I think that area isn't the best place for retail. I'd rather the focus be west of 77 for retail, personally. The area between 77 and the stadium can still be stroll-worthy if the buildings use good urban design principles and active ground floor uses. Think 3030 South Blvd and not the apartment building at Morehead & Church.

3 hours ago, Spartan said:

I think that area isn't the best place for retail. I'd rather the focus be west of 77 for retail, personally. The area between 77 and the stadium can still be stroll-worthy if the buildings use good urban design principles and active ground floor uses. Think 3030 South Blvd and not the apartment building at Morehead & Church.

The area mentioned is west of 77.

40 minutes ago, Niner National said:

The area mentioned is west of 77.

Oops, you're right. I got mixed up. Is this the same site where they were proposing mini-storage? If so, then residential is much better. I agree that retail is much more desirable in this area... but the residential units are needed to make the retail work.

19 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Those two-story brick buildingswere the best shot W Morehead had of stitching together a highly strollable street. I mean look at 'em. But we shall see.

Stroll 2.jpg

Stroll 1.jpg

I never noticed the shear sexiness of the bottom pictures. I have a unnatural obsession with Low Slung semi historic warehouses. I mean. DROOL

From what I remember - the storage facility proposed to take the place of the white building pictured did have a retail component. I think the lack of retail in the apartment (which is a block further west than the building pictured) is a real failure. This area's streetscape was transformed by DOT about 10 years ago with some serious investment. it's a shame  the right zoning requirements weren't put in place. Comparable to other areas where retail is required for new apartments, this stretch would likely be able to support it. In my opinion, Wesley Heights has a built in demand for new retail needs.

41 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

I knew the white warehouse was getting razed. Did the brick buildings in the second picture get razed too?

No. Those are all owned by different people.

A 6ish floor office building was proposed for the area where the white building was. It actually fits the area well, but I don't know if it has retail. I don't know where people keep getting self storage. Self storage is going at Morehead and Cedar.

43 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

I knew the white warehouse was getting razed. Did the brick buildings in the second picture get razed too?

As far as I know there are no imminent plans for those buildings yet and I also REALLY hope they get saved. I used to work in the Crane building next door so I looked at them every day and occasionally people would tour them. The demo project is just for the white building, which is (pretty good looking) office and retail. 

On 10/21/2016 at 5:53 PM, nonillogical said:

As far as I know there are no imminent plans for those buildings yet and I also REALLY hope they get saved. I used to work in the Crane building next door so I looked at them every day and occasionally people would tour them. The demo project is just for the white building, which is (pretty good looking) office and retail. 

I worked in the building immediately adjacent to the Crane building (closer to uptown). That building is owned by an accountant that leases it as shared office space for small companies. The building next door to that has recently undergone renovations. The coffeeshop/tattoo building is owned by a hippie and it is in bad shape inside. Has dirt floors and apparently the guy wants a fortune to lease it.