FreeMore Projects (West Morehead, Freedom Drive, Bryant Park)

cooperdawg

IS the Charlotte Foundry responsible for the stench in Wesley Heights ? My wife and I went to Open Kitchen for dinner on Friday night and could smell it really bad

I'm pretty sure it is, although I'm sure I77 is also a culprit. However, it could have been any number of other possibilities.

I think they are about to line the entire morehead section from I-277 to Freedom Drive with new street lighting.

There is also a planting strip now in place on either side of freedom drive. This area is starting to look nice and is setting up for some new projects on Morehead such as the Beezer project, Skybridge Terrace, and whatever retail/commerical they put in at the intersection of Freedom and Morehead.

I think they are about to line the entire morehead section from I-277 to Freedom Drive with new street lighting.

There is also a planting strip now in place on either side of freedom drive. This area is starting to look nice and is setting up for some new projects on Morehead such as the Beezer project, Skybridge Terrace, and whatever retail/commerical they put in at the intersection of Freedom and Morehead.

I can remember going to the neighborhood meetings the city held back in 2001 about beautifying this section of town. Its great to see all the stuff they were talking about to finally come into fruition 5 years later.

I wish. The only reason I know is I have a cousin that works there and lives in Stanly County. He is all excited because they were told that might be where the Foundry relocates but they weren't given a time-table and apparantly are still scouting for locations.
Burg, you just made my New Year start off great! I work in the Design Center and live near as well. I'm so sick of smelling pollution coming from that factory. It will be a great day when they relocate. Edited by jon bon

• 3 weeks later...

I drove around the Westwood Apartment site today. This is the property near Bryant Park that Landcraft Properties aka Bryant Park LLC has under control. A bunch of fire trucks were there today...looks like the Fire Department was going to set a couple of the buildings on fire to use as practice.

Since this property sits on top of a hill it has a great view of the skyline, so whatever goes there, even if it is lowrise will have great views. The surrounding neighborhood is fairly nice too. Mostly single family homes, some of which were nice bungalow style, had a feeling of Chantilly.

This is really going to be an up and coming area of town.

I drove around the Westwood Apartment site today. This is the property near Bryant Park that Landcraft Properties aka Bryant Park LLC has under control. A bunch of fire trucks were there today...looks like the Fire Department was going to set a couple of the buildings on fire to use as practice.

Since this property sits on top of a hill it has a great view of the skyline, so whatever goes there, even if it is lowrise will have great views. The surrounding neighborhood is fairly nice too. Mostly single family homes, some of which were nice bungalow style, had a feeling of Chantilly.

This is really going to be an up and coming area of town.

They've been burning those for over a week now. You can see the huge billows of smoke from downtown.

It is a great area, eh? I can't wait to see what is coming. Hopefully something will be announced soon...

They've been burning those for over a week now. You can see the huge billows of smoke from downtown.

It is a great area, eh? I can't wait to see what is coming. Hopefully something will be announced soon...

So that's where all of that smoke was coming from. I could not figure it out, for the life of me. I sit atop one of the towers uptown looking in that direction, and have noticed smoke rising around 1pm everyday for the last week. Thanks for finally solving that mystery! :)

A2

Edited by A2

So that's where all of that smoke was coming from. I could not figure it out, for the life of me. I sit atop one of the towers uptown looking in that direction, and have noticed smoke rising around 1pm everyday for the last week. Thanks for finally solving that mystery! :)

A2

From the history of those apartments you might feel some effects of those apartments burning if you got close enough!

I drove by today -- looks like a war-zone! I'm really anxious to see the plans for this site -- has anyone seen any or are there any permit apps available?

• 2 weeks later...

To those interested, D. Smith's article today about the townhomes in Davidson being built by Camerson Capital, LLC, headed by Frank Martin: those are the same folks that bought Westwood Apartments and are buying up lots of properties all around that site. High hopes that they do a great mixed project with those townhome styled units in this area. They really have amassed quite a large area.

Combine that with the Radiator Specialty project and a few others in the vicinity, the Morehead / Freedom / Wilkinson area close to downtown is about to transform in a MAJOR way.

• 3 weeks later...

For those of you who have been following the Coffee Cup saga....an update

A lot of time and discussion has passed, but things do not look good for The Cup. It will not survive in its current location. The proprietors have been offered land elsewhere on Beazer's site (not free...nor should it be, in my opinion). The eonomics are a challenge.

Keep them in mind if you are a supporter.

I simply don't understand why people will put up a fight for the Coffee Cup and not the Old Duke Power HQ which was nearly a century old. I did not particulary like the Duke bldg, but nor do I particulary like the Coffee cup (except for the food). While I am all behind saving historic pieces of real estate it seems Charlotte's historic buildings have gone the way of the Do Do Bird and are not making a come back in my lifetime. At this point any attempt at saving the coffee cup is just a raod block to a development that is going to happen regardless and add countless people to a Downtown that is on the cusp of becoming a "Real City".

Please understand that I am all for preservation, but why is it that we pick and choose what is preserved. I grew up in a city, where new and old thrive together. Unfortunately that is not the case in Charlotte and it never will be. The best we can hope for is that we keep many of the Mills in the Southend and NoDa districts. I am somewhat perplexed of why so many come out in opposition of a developer that is wanting develop multiple acres in a total desolate part of the city (I mean there is nothing around the Coffee Cup, nothing), and couldn't give two cents about other historic structures that are being torn down all accross town, that could be redevloped into interesting store fronts or residents. What gives UPer's???

:whistling:

A2

(ps---Thanks for the Update Conformity)

Edited by A2

I don't agree 100 percent with what you say above, but I will say this: I was a lot more upset about the closing of the Athens than I will be about the Coffee Cup. I think the Cup got so much attention that people burned out on the topic, so that the closings of Athens and Anderson's went relatively unnoticed. The shame of the Athens situation is that a) it was done in by a publicly-owned organization rather than a private developer, and b) it's going to be torn down in favor of a parking lot (in the short term, anyway) rather than a legitimate urban development. I admire the Historic Preservation folks and all that they do, but I have a feeling that they're overwhelmed sometimes by the volume of preservation-related issues that arise in this city.

• 1 month later...

The many named project of Beazer Morehead in Uptown has begun to move earth. Trucks are digging onsite, and continuing to flow in.

I've seen this prject referred to as "Beazer West End", "Beazer Intown", and now on their website as "Beazer's Morehead Common".

Took this pic recently of the grading work going on at the site. In the middle of it all you can see the Coffee Cup surrounded by a green fence.

beazermorehead.jpg

Edited by uptownliving