FreeMore Projects (West Morehead, Freedom Drive, Bryant Park)

cooperdawg

Which one is that?

I heard they are going to put a Fuel Pizza at the old car dealer at the corner of Morehead and Freedom.

I don't think that the Fuel Pizza deal worked out. Last I heard negotiations were under way with another local restaurant but there were problems with pleasing all the governmental agencies involved. I hope that it can worked out and a new restaurant is added to this area.

The Grinnell building is a 2-sty brick building next door to Wachovia. There is a sign for an architectural firm, but I thought someone on here said they were building behind this building. Maybe it's all related.

• 2 weeks later...

Skybridge Terrace had an article in today's O: Skybridge Terrace

So what do you UP's think about the finished project? Do you think this part of West Morehead will turn into another hot spot?

I hope the area retains its historical integrity and feeling that it currently does. I imagine it as a lot of redone lofts and store fronts in some of the industrial buildings. A similar treatment as S. End, but a totally different style and personality that S. End has.

I hope the area retains its historical integrity and feeling that it currently does. I imagine it as a lot of redone lofts and store fronts in some of the industrial buildings. A similar treatment as S. End, but a totally different style and personality that S. End has.

my studio is moving to one of these restored loft-type spaces later in the Fall, and there are lots of other design, marketing, and architecture firms either there already or moving there soon. hopefully along with those condos, we'll all be a bit of a catalyst by getting enough life in the area to encourage some service businesses and such to open. there's so much potential there.

• 1 month later...

Direct link to Bryant Park Neighborhood http://www.bryantparkneighborhood.com/

A South End billboard on Carson was recently reclad with a web address for the Bryant Park District: http://www.bryantparkdistrict.com/

The site says that the new Airport Enhanced CATS Line will open in Spring 2009.

And it provides this site plan, which doesn't seem particularly inspiring quite yet:

SitePlan.jpg

I've never understood the commercial component of this project. They are putting a ton of money into site work and infrastructure, and get this to a faux-urban level. Why not just go the full route, and get these buildings up against sidewalks and eliminate the silly front yards. This project had so much promise, yet its just turning into a denser version of an office park, and not really any better than Toringdon out in Ballantyne.

On the residential side, that apartment community seems strangely out of place....it's got some street frontage but its disconnected from everything else by a tree-save area, and ironically a buffer of single family homes along Morehead.

A bird's eye view of the residential component. You can see the apartments I mentioned standing aloof at the top of the sketch.

bryant_park_site_plan.jpg

You have to remember that these are two different projects and two different developers using the same Bryant Park Name, they have renamed this whole district Bryant Park. West Morehead cuts Bryant Park area in half. The apartments are at Millerton and West Morehead across the street from WBTV Studio, the single family home are in the existing Camp Greene Neighborhood off Berryhill Rd behind the apartments. The commercial side of this area between Wilkinson Blvd. and West Morehead St. already has The Charlotte School of Law building there and will have more commercial space on the Wilkinson Side as you go toward West Morehead and the actual Park named Bryant Park it will have dence multi-family residential in that area, it has some of the best views of uptown Charlotte. The reason for the grassy setbacks off of Wilkinson, it's a state road and you can't build any closer to it. Those are not houses infront of the apartments that is commercial space, mostly Raycom Sports office. The tree save area between the apartments and single family area is a gully wash area and it drops 20 feet very quickly.

Edited by AMZIE

• 10 months later...

^ if this area is developed well, and given some pedestrian linkage with the other side of 77, where there are interesting things starting to happen, it has the potential to become an excellent neighborhood in spite of being kind of an interstate island.

I agree. That's why I'm so intrigued by this plot of land. With its proximity to the stadium, I would think it would be a great place for a new neighborhood or stroll district. I also thought this would be a good alternative site for the Knights stadium, but considering it's $27 mill price tag (Do they not take credit cards atlrvr? :)) that's very doubtful. If I'm not mistaken this land has already been cleared?

^There have been many lookers considering this site, national, regional, and local. It is a great piece with a great location and will certainly be developed one day but pretty much everyone that has looked is very gun-shy about doing anything right now, much less such a large project. The one silver lining of all of this is the potential for the Coffee Cup building to be saved -- it was well on its way to demolition before the bottom dropped and this project stopped.

Its my understanding they rejected a cash offer in the range of $18 mill not too long after they pulled out of Clt. Beazer finished up liquidating everything they had in the area a couple months ago save this tract and one up near Harrisburg I think. Unfortunately I doubt this will move until Beazer files for BK, which somehow they have amazingly managed to avoid so far.

You are correct, they were within a hair of getting it sold but a couple snags stopped the whole thing.

That's a bummer... I'd love to see this plot of land, along with the one where the Knights stadium was going to go, taken on by someone so something could be done with it. Until then, just another dirt lot :(

Well....a lot of infrastructure is in place, so while it may not have any buildings, it is much more than a dirt lot. Streets and utilities have been added, so this is as "shovel ready" as sites get.

And I'd love to be the one digging there. This site was once one of the largest and most productive gold mines of its time preceeding the SF gold rush.

And I'd love to be the one digging there. This site was once one of the largest and most productive gold mines of its time preceeding the SF gold rush.

Sounds like the beginnings of a great marketing campain!

• 1 month later...

I saw a teaser on WBTV tonight about the original Coffee Cup finally meeting the wrecking ball, but I didn't catch the 11:00 news until about 15 minutes in. No mention while I was watching. Does anyone know what will happen here? I do have some great memories of the place, but I don't see the point of keeping an empty, kudzu-covered building in the middle of a field there, now that The Coffee Cup is gone. I also don't see the point of tearing it down unless anything is actually planned to go there, so I just wondered what sparked this announcement.