FreeMore Projects (West Morehead, Freedom Drive, Bryant Park)

cooperdawg

Maybe now that it is vacant they'll use the excuse of public safety. They tore down a lot of the other old warehouses on this land at the request of CMPD. In fact, there was a big flap because there was hundreds of grand worth of Opera Charlotte sets in one of the warehouses, and they didn't even secure those in another location when they tore them down.

At this point, the Coffee Cup restaurant is safely in NoDa and McDowell and the original building isn't much to see, so by now it is non-event.

Yeah I feel this is Beazers way of giving Charlotte the finger for all the trouble we have caused them in the past couple of years.

Too bad the old St. Catherine's mine can't be used for tourism like The Reed Gold mine is in Cabarrus. All that dirt could be sifted through for flakes of gold just as they let you pan for gold at Reed's. There's a photo in this report that shows some of the locations of the tunnels near or in the land: http://www.geology.enr.state.nc.us/Geologi...s/old_mines.htm

I think that is an excellent idea. Another thread suggested a $300 million aquarium. Although they are nice, this would be so much more unique. A permenant exhibit on top and access to some mines below. Charlottes version of the catacombs.

I agree 100%. The gold mining angle is unique and interesting to a lot of people. Maybe UNCC could tie it in with their searce for identity too.

This idea (opening up mines as a tourist attraction) keeps getting brought up on here in various threads, and I agree it is a great idea. I wonder why it has never got any attention from Center City Partners or any other groups? As was mentioned, much more unique and "brand building" AND cheaper than an aquarium.

I agree this certainly add some character to the area. However, the liability of opening abandoned mines in this day and time is probably too much to overcome. Its not just the chance of collapse, but gold mines were very dirty operations in the past. There is one down in Kershaw County that was opened up and was found to be full with Mercury poisoning.

I wonder how expensive it would be to open up a mining shaft and to make sure that the shaft would be safe enough for the public to access for a mining cold museum. It would be interesting if we could find a map pointing out where all of the old gold mines are or used to be at.

What kind of "mine" are we talking about here? It's an intriguing concept, but I'm having trouble envisioning what the advantage would be of having some tunnels underground for people to walk through. Since the original mines don't exist anymore, what is the draw for people to go to one if we were to build a new one?

What kind of "mine" are we talking about here? It's an intriguing concept, but I'm having trouble envisioning what the advantage would be of having some tunnels underground for people to walk through. Since the original mines don't exist anymore, what is the draw for people to go to one if we were to build a new one?

Wouldn't liability insurance be astronomical for such a venture? Lets stick with a wax museum and aquarium.

No need to anything different than any dozens of cities.....come to Charlotte where you can do what you can do in your hometown...... :rolleyes:

As far as this (Beazer) site.....I think it will be developed within the next 5 years. It has great location, and the fact that it has been graded and has utilities added makes it very easy to break-ground once the market turns.

What about an imitation mine experience? Something similar to the interactive coal mine exhibit in Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry, but obviously a gold mine instead.

http://www.msichicago.org/whats-here/exhibits/coal-mine/

There are plenty of shafts still around, and yes, it can be done reasonably, as in the case of Reed's Gold Mine. You don't have to do the entire mine....just a shaft or two. As far as liability, the point of the map I posted earlier was that there is high liability for developers from old shafts that might cave in once they start developing.

If you guys haven't been to Reed's I highly recommend it. It's very informative, interesting, historical, and draws quite a crowd.

• 1 month later...

welp, its gone. i got to watch them take it down, kinda cool.

i do hope this means something will happen sooner than later. i pass by here every day and its getting silly to look at half a grid with on-street parking in the middle of this giant field.

I noticed the O video of it today:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/420/index.html?media_id=6336022

What about an imitation mine experience? Something similar to the interactive coal mine exhibit in Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry, but obviously a gold mine instead.

http://www.msichicag...bits/coal-mine/

I just saw that Fox News had an interesting segment which focused on the new service tunnel for the DEC, but also mentions the gold mine tunnels in CLT. It certainly seems like this could be further exploited for tourism purposes.

http://www.foxcharlo...arlotte_112109#

• 4 months later...

looks like there is some site work going on (3 bulldozers, nighttime work lights set up) on the W. Morehead Beazer site, near where the Coffee Cup stood. it looked like it was the far corner of Dunbar/Clarkson.

does anyone know whats going on? I was convinced this lot would sit vacant until a megaproject could be built there. I still think this is THE sorest blank spot around uptown, so I will be ecstatic if its getting developed already. almost any project there would do wonders for the W. Morhead/Wesley Heights area which is already coming up fast in the last few years.